Fallout engine

Discussion in 'Future Fallout Game Discussion' started by Robillard, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Robillard

Robillard First time out of the vault

Nov 3, 2008
    What engine do you think would be required to build a proper Fallout sequel? Should the engine be built from scratch (if so what features would be a must) or licensed (which one?)?

R.

2. MrBumble

MrBumble Vault Fossil

Jan 17, 2006
    If one looks at the few post-apocalyptic places in Gears of War 1 ( didn't play 2 yet ), Unreal Engine 3 would do the job rather well. However, it requires talented mappers and artists. You just have to look at Blacksite or Rainbow Six Vegas to understand that a good engine is not enough...However, we are talking of a game that probably won't be released until 2014 unless they open another studio ( they have TES 5 to do, remember ? ) so probably Unreal Engine 4 or 5 ? I'd also look at ID software's new engine because Rage sure looks pretty and it's post-apocalyptic.

Anyway, Fallout 4 will probably run on the same engine as TES 5 and I really hope they invest some money and toss Gamebryo away : Fallout 3 looks really bad.

3. Robillard

Robillard First time out of the vault

Nov 3, 2008
    I have been thinking about a hypothetical top-down sequel (let's assume it would not be made by Bethesda). What technology would be best or a game like that? Some fans point out to Silent Storm engine, for example.

R.

4. rcorporon

rcorporon So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs
    Orderite

Jan 31, 2008
  5. MrBumble

MrBumble Vault Fossil

Jan 17, 2006