Fallout engine

Robillard

First time out of the vault
What engine do you think would be required to build a proper Fallout sequel? Should the engine be built from scratch (if so what features would be a must) or licensed (which one?)?

R.

If one looks at the few post-apocalyptic places in Gears of War 1 ( didn't play 2 yet ), Unreal Engine 3 would do the job rather well. However, it requires talented mappers and artists. You just have to look at Blacksite or Rainbow Six Vegas to understand that a good engine is not enough...However, we are talking of a game that probably won't be released until 2014 unless they open another studio ( they have TES 5 to do, remember ? ) so probably Unreal Engine 4 or 5 ? I'd also look at ID software's new engine because Rage sure looks pretty and it's post-apocalyptic.

Anyway, Fallout 4 will probably run on the same engine as TES 5 and I really hope they invest some money and toss Gamebryo away : Fallout 3 looks really bad.

I have been thinking about a hypothetical top-down sequel (let's assume it would not be made by Bethesda). What technology would be best or a game like that? Some fans point out to Silent Storm engine, for example.

R.

Back