Fallout: Moribund World AKA my own version of Fallout PnP

Discussion in 'Fallout PnP (Pen and Paper)' started by Atomic Postman, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Vault Fossil

Mar 16, 2013
    Hello,

Just over a year ago, I started creating a Frankenstein stitch together of the internet's various Fallout PnPs, with the original intention of just having a scrap-metal version of 2.0 and that was that. However, over the course of a year it mutated into something of it's own. I ran a six month long campaign with it between September 2019 and March 2020 that acted as a playtesting field with a player group that were very diligent in sniffing out exploits, min-max potential et cetera.

Now, worth noting that this (Much like most Fallout PnPs) does require a PC or a Laptop to DM for. I personally flip my desk table around, put up a fold up table for my players and use a small monitor hooked up to my PC as my DM screen.

I have a 500 item randomly generated Loot list for the Junk/Prospecting rules as well as a combat calculator if anyone needs it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    • [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  2. marc

marc First time out of the vault

Nov 11, 2015
    Hello,

Interesting implementation of Fallout PnP, could you provide some gameplay feedback from your sessions with this system?
    - What difficulties did you face?
    - Is the narration altered by the system?
    - How your fights run with this system?

By the way, I'm interested by your combat calculator, implementing something of my own for my teams. ;)

All the best.

3. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    Hey! Sorry for the slow reply.

>- What difficulties did you face?

Primarily? Getting the balance right between having varied and fun esoteric builds, against players who would want to minmax or abuse statistical exploits. Eventually much of that was ironed out. Getting the economy right was also an issue, but I also worked that out in the end.

>- Is the narration altered by the system?
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.

>- How your fights run with this system?

I have since uploaded the final version, updated to this post with a HEAVILY revised combat system that I am very happy with and proud of. Fights ran very well. Especially with the calculator.

4. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    Character Sheets btw, I forgot to add them. And the random loot list:

Attached Files:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  5. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    I also have a bestiary.

Attached Files:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    Here was the map I also used originally for my campaign, set in 2273 (Turns out I actually should have set it a lot earlier, 2253 maybe, but it worked out alright) within Idaho/Utah/Wyoming and Nevada.

The players drew on the map themselves when they found locations. I had a seperate digital version with all the locations correlated to the grid.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 3
  7. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    Here's my random encounter table

Attached Files:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 2
  8. Dr Fallout

Dr Fallout Centurion

Aug 17, 2015
    Wow, this an impressive body of work.

Flicking through the rules, it all looks very well-put together and thought out. Congratulations, I might just use this.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  9. Atomic Postman

Mar 16, 2013
    Considering adding a system with regards to random mutation. In situations of exposure to particularly nasty types of toxic waste or DM decided irradiation you have a chance (Based on Rad Resistance? Luck? Endurance?) of recieving a Mutation which effectively acts like a Trait (Inspired by the Phobia system of The Outer Worlds). Which mutation you get is randomly rolled for on a table, and there'd also be a distinction between minor mutations (An extra toe, loss/gain of SPECIAL) and major mutations (Growing a third arm, mouth producing acid etc).

Similarly I was thinking of resigning this to a race of its own, "Mutant" that would allow the player to roll for a Major Mutation and they'd recieve a Perk every two levels instead of 3, but would be capped in their Charisma and their Hit Points would be far lower than other races by comparison to represent their malformed bodies.

May check in and post something related to it if I get around to it, but just an idea for now.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  10. Risewild

Risewild Venerable Relic of the Wastes
    Modder Orderite

Jun 14, 2014
    I made a system like that for my PnP system I'm making (it's not a Fallout system, but Fallout can be played in it).

I used tiers for mutations: light, medium and heavy mutations.
    You can only get a higher tier mutation if you already got 3 ones from the previous tier (you need 3 light mutations to start getting medium ones and 3 medium ones to start getting heavy ones), if a character gets the 9 maximum mutations ( 3 light + 3 medium + heavy), they instantly die if their mutagen level reaches 10 again when they would get a 10th mutation (their body can't deal with so many mutations).

Mutations are random from tables, but each type of mutation source has a different table. For example a mutant dog can deal mutagen damage, if it deals enough damage to raise a character's mutagen level to 10, the character will then get a mutation from the mutant animal (dog) list. If the character gets damaged by gamma mutagens, it gets a mutation from the gamma list. etc.

Using mutations is fun, but it can become unbalanced if there's not enough drawbacks to compensate for the bonuses, or vice versa. In my PnP, mutants are usually not allowed in settlements, they are hated and can even be shot on sight. All of this is because mutants have a chance of going berserk and attack anyone near them (friends and foes). The more mutations a character has, the higher the chance of going berserk is, to a total of 90% when they have all 9 mutations.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1