Fallout MUD

First Off, I love your Avatar :D.***edit*** Nvm now you changed it :(

Anyways, as long as its a Freeware program there is a good chance it'll fly under the radar of bethesda and wont cause any problems, Beth relys HEAVILY on their consumers to fix/finish their products and the last thing they'd want to do is cause a backlash by closing a fan made program (See: Squaresoft and Chrono Trigger 3d) so I think you should be fine.

I was actually thinking a FO text adventure (single player) would be pretty interesting, especially if they included basic still images(I prefer the ones with a picture to at least give you a LITTLE bit of a hint, over the ones that are pure text) so I wish you the best of luck with a MUD

Anyways, as long as its a Freeware program there is a good chance it'll fly under the radar of bethesda and wont cause any problems, Beth relys HEAVILY on their consumers to fix/finish their products and the last thing they'd want to do is cause a backlash by closing a fan made program (See: Squaresoft and Chrono Trigger 3d) so I think you should be fine.

I wouldn't trust this reasoning.

Wow this sounds really cool actually. Would it be possible to make a 'games master' spot who chooses what happens to the other players and to the dungeon? That would be so awesome. I would love to do somthing like that.

Yeah go for it man, I mean, I am doing a little research on MUDs now and to be honest unless Beth have somthing personal against you I cant see why they would care quite frankly. I would love to see somthing like this, I dont think there is any licence as far as "MUDs" go but there is of course the TM of Fallout and all that, realistically though its safe to assume no one will sue.

How long will this take to make? Will you need beta testers? How can others help? Will you be able to design your own dungeons?

I doubt Interplay would give you shit as long as it were given a name that's not affiliated with Interplay's MMO. Call it something like, "Fallout: Post Nuclear Adventures" assuming that's not what the name of the MMO is going to be.

Also, if you DO make the MUD, make sure to add Mobs, and maybe you could have the mobs pick up the money and items off of the characters/NPCs that they kill, and use them. I love it when people use AI in that way. For example, say a few caravan guards were paid and decide to use their money at a bar, the barkeep would save up money to be able to give a player a quest after he gets 500 bottlecaps.

Most importantly, try to include branching dialogue as well.

Addendum:

There are also several Fallout MUDs that have not been given crap for existing yet. Most of them are completely RP, however, and require people and game masters in order to even gain experience and quest.

This is good news, please do not forget to fill us in on your progress now and then. Nothing is worse than great potential going to waste because of lack of supporters to motivate it.

If you need any help on writing descriptions for areas or items, et cetera, I would certainly help. I'm a freshman at my college, but I've written a few thesis papers recently which were quite verbose and well-worded to most standards. I would also do some other tasks if you need someone to do a portion of the repetitive work. I would not mind retrieving story/item/location data for you either, anything to get it moving.

Ahem, I forgot to ask, what would the projected setting for this MUD be? Will it be in the years before, during, or after Fallout or Fallout 2? Will it take place in the entirety of Fallout's California, or just the Southern California area?

even though I'm taking on 4 or 5 projects right now (3 of them writing), but I think I can try to tackle some Fallouty writing.

I like to stay busy.

oh and strangely enough one of those writing projects is a Fallout Fan Film (not shitting you either, its going to be like 200 pages long).

fa2241 said:
So we should expect Shady Sands rather than NCR?

I have a couple people helping with the mud, and together we will decide what goes into the mud and what doesn't, and how the timeline thing will work out. But any suggestions are appreciated.

My plan as of now is just a super universe with every town featured in both Fallouts in one mud. Not too sure how I'll handle the worldmap yet. Maybe, since it's divided into sectors, I suppose I could draw out a world map in ascii and do something like this:

Code:
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][M B][   ][   ][   ][   ][v13][***][***][***][ShS][***][***][v15][   ]
[   ][***][***][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][***][Kah][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][Jnk][***][***][***][Nec][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][BoS][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][***][***][Hub][***][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][***][***][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][***][***][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][***][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][LA ][***][***][   ][   ][   ][***][***][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][Cat][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][Glw]
Where the letters are the names of the towns that you have visited, the "***" are places visited where there is nothing but wasteland, and the blank are unvisited places. This is just an example, but this is probably what the worldmap will look like in the game, only much bigger. To move around, the player types North, South, East, and West. To make worldmap movement more realistic, a delay, with a progress bar, will be coded in.

Farmerk said:
War. War never changes.

The end of the Fallout name came about pretty much as we had predicted. Too many assholes, not enough money or intelligence to go around.
ROFLMAO
Farmerk said:
(*)SPECIAL stat system
(*)Original Fallout skill system
(*)Fallout based character creation
(*)Purchasable ASCII based maps of each town, and a rare map of the wasteland
I suggest having maps of the local area around towns as well. It doesn't need to have a fixed radius, as larger towns would know about more of their surroundings (e.g., VC has regular patrols, while the residents of Modoc rarely travel farther than the nearby farms). A town might know about a large area of plains/desert, but nothing of what's on the other side of a nearby mountain range.

Also, if you're taking Fallout's stat/skill system, you might as well use the format of the character printout as well.

Kanhef said:
I suggest having maps of the local area around towns as well. It doesn't need to have a fixed radius, as larger towns would know about more of their surroundings (e.g., VC has regular patrols, while the residents of Modoc rarely travel farther than the nearby farms). A town might know about a large area of plains/desert, but nothing of what's on the other side of a nearby mountain range.

Great idea. I could put wandering merchants outside of town, as well as have small creatures for the player to kill and level on, sorta like small random encounters.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Concerning the Pipboy and Worldmap travel:

The player can't just wander into the desert without having a Pipboy 2000. I am making a newbie zone, a vault, where he can't leave until completing a simple quest that teaches the player the basics of the mud and rewards the player with the pipboy. If the player wants to go to another town without random encounters, they can take a Caravan(not necessarily as a guard, there must be some caravans that people use to go from one town to the next.)

And there's always broken down railroads, which are mentioned/used quite a bit in the Van Buren design docs.

The worldmap will look like this, only bigger:

Code:
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][M B][   ][   ][   ][   ][v13][***][***][***][ShS][***][***][v15][   ]
[   ][***][***][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][***][Kah][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][Jnk][***][***][***][Nec][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][BoS][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][***][***][Hub][***][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][***][***][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][   ][   ][   ][***][***][***][   ][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][***][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][***][   ][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][LA ][***][***][   ][   ][   ][***][***][   ]
[   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][   ][Cat][   ][   ][   ][   ][***][Glw]
Where the letters are the names of the towns that you have visited, the "***" are places visited where there is nothing but wasteland, and the blank are unvisited places. To move around, the player types North, South, East, and West. To make worldmap movement more realistic, a delay, with a progress bar, will be coded in, as well as a 50/50 chance of a random encounter, with a (10+luck)% chance of a special random encounter.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I'm very pleased to share with you the first official screenshots of this epic project.

26105400.png

62488813.png

80067639.png

The writing was done by fa2241(aka Metzger) who is doing some of the writing on the mud along with UnidentifiedFlyingTard

After building is done on at least 5 towns, scripting for at least 10 quests, and the conversation and turn based combat systems are complete, the Mud will be launched for all to enjoy. I'm not sure how long it will take me to code the conversation and combat systems, but it shouldn't take more than two, maybe three weeks.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////

Progress is going slowly, but surely. No problems whatsoever, and hopefully I can get it up for testers.

Speaking of which, if you want to be a tester, send me a PM. I can use all the help I can get.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Did some work on the score sheet. Has a lot more work to do, but I like it so far

64460043.jpg

47884137.jpg

Back