Fallout: New Vegas Eurogamer Expo round-up

GreatestHits said:
Or maybe NV has an orange tint, like Fallout 3 did with the green/grey tint.
That's probably it. If they knew Fallout 1/2 existed, they'd call it the "brown Fallouts".

The worst part of this orthographically horrendous and dim witted previews is that I can not trust them! Because I expect this game to be much more than FO3, yet they keep essentially saying its more of the same... if that's true I can scratch NV from my buy list. But, how can I know that's true? Oh, the humanity!

TwinkieGorilla said:
no, he's talking about the UI. are any of you paying any attention out there?

Yeah. The orange UI is actually an option in Fallout 3, I've used it since day one! Other colour options are blue and white.

But most people don't realise this and just use the default green. Including game reviewers. Obsidian changed the default to orange for New Vegas, and thus quite a few previews of the game have mentioned that the UI is now orange.

it only makes sense. the desert = warm tones, east coast cities = cool tones. welcome to 3rd grade art class.

*this post directed at no one in particular.

korindabar said:
I think the UI is orange by default but you can probably change the colour in the options menu (at least you could in Fallout 3).
I believe you can, I saw a gameplay video that showed the green UI.

TychoXI said:
The worst part of this orthographically horrendous and dim witted previews is that I can not trust them! Because I expect this game to be much more than FO3, yet they keep essentially saying its more of the same... if that's true I can scratch NV from my buy list. But, how can I know that's true? Oh, the humanity!

Well here's what I got from it. The game's engine is the same and graphically there's nothing but minor updates. Superficially the game is very similar...since nobody bothered to comment on gameplay beyond the most shallow aspects of combat and just going around randomly killing folks there is nothing new there. In essence, there is nothing new just lots of ink spilled for not much result.

<table><td>
0.jpg
</td><td>
are any of you paying any attention out there?
</td></table>

<table><td>
5542066_std.jpg
</td><td>
I'm sorry. I wasn't listening.
</td></table>

The-Big-Lebowski_Jeff-Bridges_Cowichan-cardigan_cup-at-head.bmp.jpg

[spoiler:c08154f69b]I had to suffice for the second picture[/spoiler:c08154f69b]

Think the intro as a whole, showing off Vegas, the whole scene with you being shot plus Perlman's speech feels a bit long to be honest. Might just be my imagination.

The character creation bit looks pretty good. Doc Mitchell has really nice voiceacting from what I can hear.

I was there. I think that it felt like it has the original Fallouts in its atmosphere. I mean, Fallout 3 felt like I was playing Obsidian - quests were always about 20-30 minutes long, even if they seemed short, I knew what to expect, and there were no exceptions, as far as I remember. F:NV's writing and quest composition reminded me of the original Fallout games. I actually had a dialogue option which required me 6 IN. The combat is pretty much the same, from what I saw, though you aren't immortal in VATS anymore, and I saw a guy with a rifle with a little more DPS than the Grenade Machine Gun - he was attacked by a Deathclaw, he spend all his action points in VATS and did some additional headshots outside VATS, and the Deathclaw still had like 90% of its HP. I hope Super Mutants will be as hard too - I remember when I first encountered Super Mutants in Fallout 3, I thought "oh man, now there's no way to survive this" or something, and I was really surprised when I killed them with some earlygame weapons and low skills/level. Sadly, the world is still filled with millions of useless objects (though it seems like they aren't as many as in Fallout 3), stealing takes Karma and they use that old crappy Quick Travel system (no quick travel if you haven't visited the location). But the game really did feel more like the original ones, rather than Fallout 3 - in the way you feel the purpose of NPCs - you know like, when you see a NPC in Fallout 2, you feel what would be the dialogue with it in one way, and when you see a NPC in Fallout 3, you expect things otherwise. Fallout 3's NPCs were kind of "empty" and when they gave you quests, the quests always required much time. Fallout 2's NPCs were more open, with more personality in them, they were actually interesting. F:NV tend to be more like Fallout 2 in that manner.

I posted a thread in the F:NV forum section about some of my experience with the game.

There were three or four crafting platforms, I think - the ones for armor, weapons and ammunition used Repair; there was some sort of thing which used Science to craft meds. The ammunitions crafting platform used Lead, which is produced by smelting Scrap Metal. There were a huge number of new items.

Poison is something to consider now (first Fallout game with poison that actually does something!), though there are anti-poison items. Geckos sometimes drop Gecko Meat/Gecko Eggs/Gecko Hide. Hardcore mode has 3 additional bars: Food, Water and Sleep. Sometimes you have to eat things that aren't quite edible - for example, Gecko Meat has -1 strength. Stimpaks were much less useful (both in hardcore and normal) - or maybe that was because my Medicine skill was low.

While I wanted to be blown away by some sort of new innovation New Vegas, while seemingly not raising the bar for the series, has more missions, enemies, guns and perks than ever before.

While I wanted to be blown away by some sort of new innovation Fallout 3, while seemingly not raising the bar for the series, has more missions, enemies, guns and perks than Oblivion.

Thank you Blackened for the review.

I honestly thought the "Orange" thing was some European slang I wasn't familiar with meaning. People seriously don't dig through their settings anymore? That was the first thing I did was to be sure the resolution was set to it's best, the gore all the way up (if there was a option) and other things like that. Hard for me to believe they really don't know you can change the colour, but not surprising considering their lack of knowledge. Even my computer illiterate wife that thinks France is somewhere south of Africa beside Nebraska figured out to change the colours. (literally, she grew up sheltered... sometimes I think in a vault)

Mine is "Blue Fallout" by the way :)

WorstUsernameEver said:
I honestly had difficulties finding a quote from that preview that wasn't embarrassing. I guess it shows the mindset of your Average Joe gamer tho.

I think the Average Joe gamer wouldn't even bother reading these reviews in the first place, or would find it horrible. Most gamers aren't as bad as one might think.

Anyway, it's pretty obvious there are close to no video game "journalists" that have not already lost touch with reality and ordinary people. They're all in "La La"-land :(

Bofast said:
Most gamers aren't as bad as one might think.

I think that most gamers are just as mediocre with normal people, with the occasional creepiness that derives from their lack of social skills, which fit that writer's profile fairly well I daresay. I don't really like to join the bandwagon of 'lolol console gamer', but.. yeah.

But you are right on that the Average Joe gamer wouldn't read previews in the first place, I guess.

Blackened said:
Feel free to ask me any questions, and I'll answer whatever I know/remember.

Do these jeans make my ass look phat?

[spoiler:98c6a240c2]p.s. Thanks for the review. Really exciting hearing that enemies will be a greater challenge this time.[/spoiler:98c6a240c2]

Back