Fallout roots.

oils65mustang

First time out of the vault
I have been playing FO3 and FONV off and on since they came out. Now that rumors of fallout 4 is in the wind I started reflecting on what hooked me to the Fallout series in the beginning. I bought Fallout in 1997 when it was first released and Fallout 2 when it came out. Fallout 2 is my all time personal favorite of the series. The reason was the fun stuff the creators put into the game, Enclave, more locations, goofy dialog during combat, etc... and the toughness of the game. I had my characters head handed to him several times when I first started until I figured out how to play the game.

What I personally like to see in future games is a returning to the toughness of the game and the fog of war. The fog of war was great, it kept me excited during play time wondering what would happen next on my way to Redding from Vault City for example, and what about the Enclave when would they show up again? Great fun. I would like to see a minimizing of the perks and what perks there are, make them useful, maybe combining perks into groups based upon the players style of play or attributes.

I read a post here somewhere, the author wanted to limit the weapons and the ammo. I thought that was a good idea, however, I also thought the Gun Runners in FONV was a great addition. Keeping with "necessity is the mother of invention", new weapons, survival gear, clothes, etc... would be necessary, and finding caches of uber weapons is plain goofy.

I would like to see the Followers of the Apocalypse become more of an influence and possibly see the Enclave remnate team up with say the Followers, Great Khans, the city of Arroyo that the original Vault dweller settled or what ever, even some BoS chapter. Giving the new Fallout games a progressive look. Also, in FO2, as I am replaying the game now I noticed that the GECK was in every vault, in theory, and if so there should be more green. How people are to survive on a finite amount of Salisbury steak is beyond me, maybe there is more to Sugar Bombs that meet the eye.

In the first and second Fallout games, new ground was being developed and great ideas were implemented into the games. The story lines were excellent and the side quest were fun and helped develop the character. I did not fine that to be so in FO3 and FONV as much. The story lines were okay, not bad, but not great. The main quest in both, though fun, were not as gripping as in FO1 or FO2.

In either case I'm sure our friend at Bethesda will produce a good product, that is if they want to make any money on the series. I think that Fallout could fade if it is not kept fresh with new ideas and at the same time implementing older original roots.

I started to play FO2 again, after a 12 year break. And I am having a blast playing the old turn base combat, grainy graphics and a great story line. I look forward to the release of FO4.

I kind of feel the Followers teaming with the Great Khans or the Enclave remnants would make little to no sense. The Enclave remnants might make some sense, as some probably rethought the whole deal but can't work with the established powers (you know, they want to see them dead and such; although I'd expect at least a faction of the Followers to have prejudices about them), but the Great Khans are just a tribe of raiders with a cool culture. Kind of Klingons, actually. They really don't fit the "we are the anarchist benefactors of people" the Followers expect.
I'd love to see Arroyo again, too. BoS, IMO should be in the decline, so chapters should not be numerous or big. Kind of a small bunker with three or four people in one of three or four big settlements, or a single one with no more than 20 people, something like that.
On vaults, I don't recall that it was said all vaults had a GECK, and even if it was said there, Beth said the opposite in Fallout 3.
Sadly, I have not as much faith in Bethesda as you. Specially because most gamers nowadays choose games based only on graphics, physics engine, being a sandbox and MAYBE game mechanics. They seem to completely ignore the story. So, Beth has no pressure to create an appealing story, as it won't negatively affect sales.

Enclave wants everybody dead I can't see they joining forces with any faction unless is a rogue squad but the faction itself? Nah...

EDIT: 100th post =D

Contrary to the Enclave, i think it would feel "right" to have the remnants of the master army as a strong positive force.

They spent so much years fighting that the most hostiles ones were probably killed.
Amongs't those who survived, we have very wise guys like Marcus, and we could bet that most nightkin benefited from the Doctor Henry's cure.

It would be nice to have them control an area that has a lot of ressources, industry, knowledge, etc... and being highly irradiated in the same time.
In a scenario like New Vegas, with two armies in desesperate need for and advantage to use agains't the other, getting one of them to ally with the super-mutants, would be a decisive factor. But they would have to work with them on their own terms. It would be nice again to have super-mutants in charge of humans troops, disrespecting these poor normies, but without the "dipping into the vats" treat.

Enclave wants everybody dead I can't see they joining forces with any faction unless is a rogue squad but the faction itself? Nah...

EDIT: 100th post =D

But remnants are not the Enclave, they are just that, remnants. It was never stated they all homogenously thought the same things. Remember one of them even helped you save your tribe (well, could have, depending on how you played) in Fallout 2. Enclave as an organization is DEAD, or at least that I hope.

Also, congrats!

The only way of Enclave helping someone is trough remnants and abandoned/destroyed bases/outposts. What I really want to see is remnants of the Children of the Cathedral. ( Apparently they would appear in Van Buren)

The Enclave (faction) was shot dead by tribal but a necromancer named Beth revived it and once again it was shot dead, rumor is that the necromancer is still on the loose. Guard your grave guys.

Actually, more than one helped the chosen one, in Fo2.

Dr Henry poorly tried to help SM and gave a Robodog.
The captain of the tanker, who bring you to the oil rig was an other enclave deserter.
A scientist help you to spread the virus into the oil rig.
Finally, Granite & his crew help you agains't horrigan.

The only way of Enclave helping someone is trough remnants and abandoned/destroyed bases/outposts. What I really want to see is remnants of the Children of the Cathedral. ( Apparently they would appear in Van Buren)
Yes, and that's what's being suggested. Nobody said "THE ENCLAVE SHOULD TEAM UP WITH..." but "remnants".
CoC remnants would probably be interesting too.

The Enclave (faction) was shot dead by tribal but a necromancer named Beth revived it and once again it was shot dead, rumor is that the necromancer is still on the loose. Guard your grave guys.
Yep, that's why I said that I hope they are dead for good. Never know with Beth the Necromancer.

Actually, more than one helped the chosen one, in Fo2.

Dr Henry poorly tried to help SM and gave a Robodog.
The captain of the tanker, who bring you to the oil rig was an other enclave deserter.
A scientist help you to spread the virus into the oil rig.
Finally, Granite & his crew help you agains't horrigan.
Yeah, I kind of forgot of the others and thought only about the scientist. However, I don't think Granite and friends count for the argument in question, as they didn't do it out of their heart, but to try and escape the rig before the countdown for the bomb ticked zero. Maybe I'm forgetting another way to make them help you, but I only remember that one where I need to tell them about the bomb.

I kind of feel the Followers teaming with the Great Khans or the Enclave remnants would make little to no sense.
Funny info for you. It's actually a possible scenario. :)

During the Battle of Hoover Dam, the Great Khans quickly evacuated Red Rock Canyon and headed north and east into the plains of Wyoming. There, they reconnected with the Followers of the Apocalypse and rebuilt their strength. Bolstered by ancient knowledge of governance, economics, and transportation, they carved a mighty empire out of the ruins of the Northwest.

I kind of feel the Followers teaming with the Great Khans or the Enclave remnants would make little to no sense.
Funny info for you. It's actually a possible scenario. :)

During the Battle of Hoover Dam, the Great Khans quickly evacuated Red Rock Canyon and headed north and east into the plains of Wyoming. There, they reconnected with the Followers of the Apocalypse and rebuilt their strength. Bolstered by ancient knowledge of governance, economics, and transportation, they carved a mighty empire out of the ruins of the Northwest.
This doesn't change how much sense it makes. The Followers are anarchists IIRC, so I highly doubt any alliance between them and any for related to either republics, empires or whatever else would stand for long. I can see them helping them temporarily, as they try to be a beneficial force in the wasteland, but even if it's between the endings, it doesn't make much sense.
Also, the ancient knowledge and stuff the Khans use to become an empire are not provided by the Followers, but by information provided by the Courier, IIRC.

Back