Fallout: Sonora is Wasteland 4

Golbolco

It Wandered In From the Wastes
...except it came out 5 months before Wasteland 3 did, but that's an aside.

I've previously posted about how I envision the merging of Fallout and Wasteland into one continuity. After doing a playthrough of Fallout: Sonora this week, I think Nevada Band Studios have similar ideas to my own, and I think that Fallout: Sonora works as well as a sequel to Fallout 1 as it does a sequel to Wasteland 2.

Mid-sized spoilers for a 3-year old game will be ahead. (What, you don't read Russian?)

Game World

Wasteland's first two games and Fallout: Sonora both occupy the same game world, which is Arizona and the Sea of Cortez, so there were always going to be points in common. There are only a few locations that both games visit: the town of Quartz appears in both Wasteland 1 and Fallout: Sonora complete with Scott's bar; the Davis-Monthan Airfield appears in both Wasteland 2 and Fallout: Sonora with some eerie similarities; and while calling them the same location doesn't perfectly line up, Casa Nueva is clearly inspired by the Ag Center and echoes its conflict in Wasteland 2.

Fallout: Sonora takes place in 2167, which in a combined timeline like in my earlier cited post would set it 65 years down the road from Wasteland 2, and only 5 years after Fallout 1. Much has changed: in the Wasteland games, major Arizonan cities have not been repopulated. Flagstaff, Phoenix, and Casa Grande are never visited while survivors from Tucson moved into the aforementioned airfield, building a town called Damonta. In Fallout: Sonora, these places and many more to the south of the border have been revitalized. Fallout: Sonora didn't just copy stuff from Wasteland and make it work in Fallout's setting, but the points that do connect these games feel natural, as if Fallout: Sonora was meant to progress from Wasteland 2.

People and Creatures

Deathclaws will jumpscare you in this game, only appearing on screen when you get in a certain radius just like random encounters with Shadowclaws in Wasteland. Classic Fallout doesn't have a crazy array of monsters because of the difficulties with sprite work, but the devs make things work here. Ghouls, when they're not hailing from Necropolis, tend to be monstrous and feral like they are in Wasteland.

This game prominently features the Desert Rangers as part of the major factional conflict in the region. I don't think it needs to be said how much they draw on their depiction in the Wasteland games, given that previous Fallout depictions included a total of one named character. Their General even references Ranger forts in Los Angeles and Nevada, which ties to both Wasteland 2 as well as Fallout: Nevada, which was done by the same devs.

There is a major faction called the Church of Holy Fire, based out of Phoenix. They worship nuclear power and believe the world was remade during the Great War... where have we seen this before? The Servants of the Mushroom Cloud! Not only that, but the Church has a vendetta against the Desert Rangers--which would line up with Wasteland 2 and 3, since 3 confirms that the Rangers sided against the Servants in the previous game.

This next spoiler will probably annoy people if I post it without tags, so I will put it in a little box:
the Brotherhood of Steel have come to Arizona looking to siphon energy reserves back to Lost Hills as part of a recovery operation after the war with the Unity five years ago, and they've been leading the crusade against the Rangers. This just serves to continue the history of Wasteland with the Guardians of the Citadel and the Desert Rangers being arch-enemies.

I think that the most interesting tribe in Fallout: Sonora are the Tinkerers of Two-Sun. The translation sometimes renders them as Tinsmiths, but I'll stink to Tinkerer for now. They are a tribe of cyborgs from Tucson with ties to the Brotherhood and an interest in salvaging the robots that patrol the former Davis-Monthan Airfield. Everything down to their philosophy of transhumanism is a callback to Tinker, the rogue Guardian of the Citadel that was augmenting humans and reactivating robots in Wasteland 2's Damonta. The Tinkerers feel like a natural extension of Tinker's experiments: 60 years down the line, the cyborgs she created have somewhat degenerated, but still augment themselves and venerate her, trying to penetrate the Forbidden Zone from which they first came.

---

I'm sure that BlackDesigner has played Wasteland and Wasteland 2. He always does his homework for the Fallout games he makes, which is why I'm a bit sad his next project won't be Fallout at all. If someone wants to know what it would look like to play Wasteland on classic Fallout's engine, this is the game to do it. It's not a perfect 1:1, but it gets pretty damn close at points. If you have a fix for more of Wasteland, play this game. If you have a fix for more Fallout 1, play this game (especially the Dayglow DLC, it's more Fallout 2 than Fallout 2 is.) Fallout: Sonora perfectly married these two series and it's a shame the translation has taken so long when we should all be enjoying this as much as we have Nevada, 1.5, and all the rest of the total conversions.

Huh, I had not seen the similarities until you brought them up and listed them. I only knew that the team did bring back a lot of elements proposed for Fallout 2, in the campaign itself and as random encounter. Well minus the renegade Brotherhood paladin and of course the Lobotomites.
I guess Fallout Sonora is somewhat of a way to marry the lore of Wasteland minus Base Cochise and with some factions being replaced by Fallout factions and new factions.

while survivors from Tucson moved into the aforementioned airfield, building a town called Damonta.

Was that ever mentioned in Wasteland 2?

Their General even references Ranger forts in Los Angeles and Nevada, which ties to both Wasteland 2 as well as Fallout: Nevada, which was done by the same devs.

I only remember the Winds of War faction in Fallout of Nevada, not actual Desert Rangers.

I have not played Fallout Sonora myself but I have been reading feedback from people who have including some of the criticisms they have that I do find disappointing.

One criticism; the Mexican Army appears in Fallout Sonora but they are a faction the player can not really interact with and possibly even have to kill depending which faction the player sides with. They and the places they control only exist for that reason.

Was that ever mentioned in Wasteland 2?
It's not only mentioned and visited (pivotal to the main plot) but Damonta is arguably the only original settlement in Arizona, while every other location was recycled from the first game.

I only remember the Winds of War faction in Fallout of Nevada, not actual Desert Rangers.
Rangers appear as a special encounter. You can radio Tycho.

It's not only mentioned and visited (pivotal to the main plot) but Damonta is arguably the only original settlement in Arizona, while every other location was recycled from the first game.

Oh, I know that. I never knew that there was any mentioning of Damonta having been founded by people from Tuscon.

Rangers appear as a special encounter. You can radio Tycho.

I never experienced this encounter.

Huh, I had not seen the similarities until you brought them up and listed them.
example1.jpg
example2.jpg

Hmmm I never expected this. I always think Wasteland series belong to altogether different universe consisting of retro 80s setting media (games, films, novel, etc). But on the other hand I am curious for interpretation of pre-Legion 4 states commonwealth.

I loved how Sonora really uses the skills. I found more uses for Traps skill then I can recall from previous Fallouts.

I sure loved to see the Rangers in Sonora, and you can guess what faction I joined and completed the game with.

Back