Fallout tactics mod in Unity3D

Hey.. That's a rather interesting idea there. More hitpoints makes you an easier target to shoot at.

A quick update about my work.

I made a map to use for tests and confirm that the engine can support big maps (it is 12*12 regions, including the water).
The link below is a large image (1 Mo, 6000*3000 pix) of the map, scale is 1/6.
https://trello-attachments.s3.amazo...61830f3362722dda2cd31f72ddec191a/worldmap.jpg
I know, it is ugly and some transitions are bad. I don't care for now, it will still allow me to test a lot of things and by reusing parts of tactics maps I made it quite fast.
I can always polish it later since the engine is built around dynamic map modifications to allow player driven destruction/construction.
The idea was to have natural borders so it is not awkward when the map ends, so I made it an island.

I implemented a dialog tree system, with its own graphical node editor that can add nodes and links between nodes (nodes are npc's lines, links are player's answers).
It doesn't support actions yet (like quest reward), nor conditions for answers (like charsima requirement or skill check).
In the end I want the editor to be able to get a npc's dialog from the server, modify it as wanted and upload it back. Clients will get the updated version next time they talk to the npc, without server or client restart.

And overall I worked mainly on map formats conversion between tactics editor and my engine (I can load editor's clip as maps, much easier than a full .mis), plus tools and debug like the visual for pathfinding and obstacles check.
I also fixed the animation issues (it was jerky, especially the death anim).

Still a lot to do, next on the list is some persistance on server side like player's position when he logs off, inventory content and so on.
Maybe ghoul spawned randomly with stuff on them to showcase combat/inventory systems.
Regarding the content, I have 2 main "wishes" for later (far later):
- Some sort of procedural generation for the map, to place rivers/mountains/forests.
- Being able to have custom palettes applied "on the fly" to standard spr files so customization can be done without sending a full 20-30Mo file.
Right now I'm leaving the RPG aspect on the side until I have something simple working correctly, so no XP/leveling/skills features in view.

Attachments

• diag_editor.png
    diag_editor.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,090
  • dialog.png
    dialog.png
    457.4 KB · Views: 1,019
  • pathfinding.png
    pathfinding.png
    758 KB · Views: 1,119
Excellent! Each time you post an update I feel that your project is getting closer to what my own project needs, and will certainly be more adapted and usefull one day than Tactics original game engine. You are putting a lot of efforts on this and I thank you. I can see the revolution in Fallout Tactics modding coming!

Some more updates:
I changed a lot how animations are handled. It's not showing, but it's now easier in the code to stop on last frame (death), loop (walk) or switch animations (shoot).
The position, visual and inventory of players are stored in the server database (stay saved even if server restart).
I changed the inventory UI to have 2 "hand slots" and the armor slot. Equip is done by double click FTM, drag'n'drop would be nice in the future.
The dialog system supports an inventory condition for the player's lines (line will be hidden if the player is missing an item).

This inventory and dialog features allow me to showcase a simple quest-giving NPC in a video:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38btw5_demo-2_videogames

More progress:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3cjywd_demo-4_videogames

In short:
There is a nice inventory UI with drag'n'drop of items on equiping slots and also outside the panel to drop on ground.
I have the looting UI as well so the player can loot dead npc and interact with containers.
When a dead npc disappear it's inventory drop on ground.
I made a "private rooms" system so you can store stuff safely. Entering/leaving your room is done through NPC dialogs.
I had some help from a friend for building the maps in this video so hopefully I will start having nicer maps soon if he have time.

I'm happy with the progress so far and I think I will move to AI/moving enemies and combat systems.

This project is amazing, looking forward to seeing the results eventually.

Will you be needing any help creating maps? Or are you implying that the terrain will be randomly generated somehow?

I only ever released one FOT map back in the day (Shrine available on NMA), but I made a bunch of unfinished projects that never saw the light of day. I pay attention to detail and would love to help map out a possible persistent world.

Will you be needing any help creating maps? Or are you implying that the terrain will be randomly generated somehow?

I will need hand-made maps for sure. Generated content might be done too, but the time spending on a map generator might be better spent on other engine stuff.
Also some city maps and other key area won't work with random content.

At the moment I'm still working on the engine, but when enough is done the time for quest, story, maps and weapon balance will come.

Hey.. That's a rather interesting idea there. More hitpoints makes you an easier target to shoot at.

Make height-like in character creation where height is affected by strength or endurance.
Also weight who affects agility(running).
FOR EXample if have 8 str you got like 6 feet 3 in. something like that...

Neither of those seem sensible IMO; and both not something I'd like to see done.

Strength is not a factor of height ~or weight (within reason), and more hitpoints are [or can be] an indication of skill and experience; making them harder to attack, not easier. This is why two PCs (one a raw recruit, and the other a veteran) can have the same hitpoints, when the recruit is 6'5 and 240 pounds, while the Sargent is 5' 8 and 160. The recruit is the one that gets head shot for careless behavior, while the Sargent gets less serious injuries due to caution and counter-measures. [while both technically taking the same damage]

Last edited:

I will need hand-made maps for sure. Generated content might be done too, but the time spending on a map generator might be better spent on other engine stuff.
Also some city maps and other key area won't work with random content.

At the moment I'm still working on the engine, but when enough is done the time for quest, story, maps and weapon balance will come.

I'll keep my eyes on the project and see what happens then =)

Man this looks awesome. I noticed with the bursting of the ghouls, they were dying before the burst animation was happening.

I started drooling when i saw that dialouge tree.

I know you are aiming for a multiplayer aspect, but will modders be able to make singleplayer game out of this?

Last edited:
I noticed with the bursting of the ghouls, they were dying before the burst animation was happening.

Technically, both anims start at the same time, but the first shot of the minigun is late in the animation (0.4s after start IIRC). Delaying the effect on the target might leads to other issues in real time fights (you shoot but target has time to hide).
ATM I keep it like that because it's simpler, it might change later.

will modders be able to make singleplayer game out of this?

A server is needed for the client to work, but if one is launched locally the client could play a singleplayer game while connected to this local server.

@Nugent
Just my 2 cents ... Rather than one large and incrementally loaded map (which personally I'd think is some form of programming hell...) Why not have maybe a dozen or so, 'large' area's that are adjoined by classical 'exit grids' & still have the classic fallout 'travelling map' to go between areas.

I'd think this offers greater scope of scenery variety and reduces memory grabbing 'background-loading'

Heck, its your project, just thought I'd chip in my incoherent ramblings.

This seems very interesting indeed.
Actually would've been cool to test even at this stage.
are you planning on releasing the project at some point(I know obviously you want people to play, but often that doesn't include giving actual access to core)? as in my experience with unity is that scripts/code libraries are really easy to share across projects, this would help alot when cooperatively extending or adding content/functionality.

I am extremely curious to see where this project is at, and any way I can help!

I will post some updates here to show that I'm still working on it, since it's been a long time. I'm glad people are still interested by it.

are you planning on releasing the project at some point(I know obviously you want people to play, but often that doesn't include giving actual access to core)?

I have no opinion on the matter of sharing this project yet, it is too early I think so currently I don't share it because it's not ready.
I don't know for the future, we will see. But I did prototype a way to have the gameplay code in a separate dll file on both the client and the server, precisely to allow this kind of stuff.

And now the updates:
I managed to load this custom armor, from the enclave mod I think (correct me if I'm wrong). This is a step to adding custom assets, even if I don't consider it necessary.
enklav.gif
Demo of the pathfinding being done on server side to move npc (basic critter movement, no collision check between critters)
aggro.gif
The field of view is working correctly with walls (even windows), stuff outside of it is hidden.
fov.jpg
I have the special effects (flames overlay, explosion anim) working. The projectile "time of flight" is managed so the hits are not instant. BTW I also have the wav sounds for shooting and explosions.
rocket_flying.gif
I also made massive perf improvement for the display. This screen is zoomed-out a lot more than what will be allowed ingame (the player is not even visible except for the life and name). I still got nice perf, and this is in Unity editor not release build. Compared to FoT game or mapper, it's a lot faster. I also tested it on a laptop from 2010 and I still have 60 fps in fullscreen.
zoomout.jpg

I have updates.
I can now gather ressources from scenary, like cutting down trees to gather wood.
I can modify the map accordingly by replacing a piece of scenary by another.
I have inventory check for item requirement for an action (in the vid, I need machete to cut trees).

I can use this to do cool stuff like turning barrel in burning barrel, destroying walls and so on.
For the wood I use fallout 2 asset, because tactics don't have lot of crafting/ressources items.

Back