Fallout TV Series Begins Production

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
The Sole Wanderer spends the episode looking for desk fans to upgrade his 10mm pistol. Near the end of the episode he confronts the legendary roach. After a tense fight The Sole Wanderer is victorious. He pulls out a Legendary Board With Nails that deals extra damage to robots.

Now, hold on a second. I'd totally watch this.

Not really? Fallout 1 is about finding new settlements and interacting with the locations, it was never about how haunting killing raiders was and it was possible to finisht the game without killing anyone, and Fallout 2 was too goofy for even the forced combat to be haunting, except when you get crit killed bullshitly by a burt action.

Okay? Just because you played some pacifist happy route that didn't go off the beaten path doesn't mean others didn't shoot up every raider they stumbled across and were left alone in the end just looking at the empty desolate desert, surrounded by five new corpses out in the middle of nowhere. There are gang wars, raiders attacking people, fishermen all alone, all that stuff in 1, and it's haunting.

I think the Fallout universe is pretty diverse inside what it is, trying to constrain it is a mistake. It can be serious and grimdark, or goofy and zany. As long as it makes logical sense. As I like to say: Real life has no Tone. It can be funny one moment, tragic in another.

I think the things which inspired Fallout are pretty diverse. 50s/Golden Age of Sci-Fi, Westerners, 90s/80s comics and action movies like Hard Boiled, Mad Max, general historical inspiration, etc. And there's so much inside these things, you could mine that stuff for years on end. I love me some vintage science fiction myself.

Btw, I think a big mistake Bethesda did when taking Fallout out of the West Coast, is that they failed to realize the West Coast Fallouts were inherently westerners. So you had things like Lucas Simms with a cowboy hat and sheriff star and D.C as a desert because that's how it would be in the West Coast... even through these makes zero sense in the East Coast. So you get out of "Western-land", you have to swap the Western for the adequate fiction of that place - say, a Fallout in the Caribbean would swap Western for something like Nautical fiction, and the Cowboys and Highwaymen would give way to Sailors and Pirates.

Hell, you could do pretty much everything with Fallout. Anthology series, Comedy, Action-Adventure, Military Science Fiction, War Movie, Horror, etc.

I really hope we don't get a game adaptation, but instead the TV Show gets its own nice corner of the Fallout US and stays there, with the odd reference to the rest of the Falloutverse. Like, just tell the showrunners how the universe works (Golden Age of Sci-Fi, retro guns, etc), teach the rules, give them a giant list of all the things Fallout is based on, tell them to read and watch it all, and tell them to go nuts.

Don't be derivative and base Fallout on Fallout, base Fallout on the things Fallout is based on. This is a common mistake in long-running popular franchises like Star Wars. Star Wars is not something George Lucas made out of whole cloth, he created it based on the old pulps, Dune and Asimov (especially Foundation series).

Btw, I think a big mistake Bethesda did when taking Fallout out of the West Coast, is that they failed to realize the West Coast Fallouts were inherently westerners. So you had things like Lucas Simms with a cowboy hat and sheriff star and D.C as a desert because that's how it would be in the West Coast... even through these makes zero sense in the East Coast. So you get out of "Western-land", you have to swap the Western for the adequate fiction of that place - say, a Fallout in the Caribbean would swap Western for something like Nautical fiction, and the Cowboys and Highwaymen would give way to Sailors and Pirates.
To be fair, I think Bethesda rectified this somewhat in Fallout 4. There's not too much cowboy stuff anywhere but their is a lot of sailor and maritime stuff around The Commonwealth. It blends better with the environment for sure.

To be fair, I think Bethesda rectified this somewhat in Fallout 4. There's not too much cowboy stuff anywhere but their is a lot of sailor and maritime stuff around The Commonwealth. It blends better with the environment for sure.

That is true, from what I heard (didn't play 4, didn't have a computer for it at the time). Also heard good things about FO76 in that aspect.

I don't want to see the West Coast outside the West Coast. That's weak ass derivative brand recognition and part of why FO3 sucked. I want to explore new places!

Then again, I suspect that with the writer of Westworld onboard, we will probably see something Western-ish. I'm betting they will give them Kansas. Far enough from both the West Coast (Interplay/Obsidian territory) and the East Coast (Bethesda territory), but close enough to have references to the West Coast, maybe even the East with some stretch. Its also Western. Then again, Kansas was show on FOT*, so maybe not.

Montana or Wyoming are also good chances, but Woyming was referenced in the FNV Great Khans endings.

*if they referenced FOT of all games on it, that would be some SICK deep lore refs. Gimme some Live-action Reavers, they looked gigaboss in those concept arts.

I don't think a Fallout Tv series HAS to suck, just as I think you absolutely can have a great Fallout Western set in a very verdant true-to-life verdant east coast (Last of the Mohicans IS a western and it's set in upstate New York after alll). But this is AMazon and modern woke Hollywood and Bethesda hasn't been liquidated by Microsoft. If Microsoft liquidated Bethesda for its IPs and assigned them to new studios I'd feel better about this project. Better still if this were an anime.

I personally have seen my personal Fallout universe (with my Fallout PCs) as an anime in the style of the more serious and realistic parts of Trigun. You might have trouble remembering Trigun even HAS these moments but they make up the bulk of each episode where Vash isn't a Looney Tunes character and the reality defyingly weird bosses aren't on screen. I have since the beginning of Adult Swin and the end of the 20th century.

Fallout does NOT have to be super depressing. Fallout 1 was not super grim. It was desolate, but humanity was pulling itself together and it was absolutely a fun adventure game the whole way through until the end bases, and then mostly it was keeping your companions, read Dogmeat alive. Stupid Forcefields.

To be fair they probably aren't obsessed with the series like NMA they just think it is cool like a dumb Marvel movie.

To be fair they probably aren't obsessed with the series like NMA they just think it is cool like a dumb Marvel movie.
They're obsessed in the same way I was when I discovered Fallout 3 before Fallout 4 came out when I was younger. Basically peak consoomer behaviour.

I think it all boils down to "get off my lawn" on every single topic online.

Basically this. I can't really get mad or annoyed at people being excited over a TV show based on a popular gaming franchise if they're just regular people. We'd essentially be wanting for them to be omniscient about the franchise's flaws by that point, knowing about what makes Bethesda games sketchy which tend to become apparent when you read through all our threads.

Though reading all those "why Bethesda games are bad" threads would take a long time so obviously normal people aren't invested enough in that, which is understandable. I doubt most here would be interested in reading thread after thread on GTAF about why GTAO sucks, like I do.

I don't think a Fallout Tv series HAS to suck, just as I think you absolutely can have a great Fallout Western set in a very verdant true-to-life verdant east coast (Last of the Mohicans IS a western and it's set in upstate New York after alll). But this is AMazon and modern woke Hollywood and Bethesda hasn't been liquidated by Microsoft. If Microsoft liquidated Bethesda for its IPs and assigned them to new studios I'd feel better about this project. Better still if this were an anime.

I completely agree with you, however I’d imagine they’d want to stick to the vibe and tone of 3. They probably want lots of power armor and blowing up mutants with 50s tunes in the background.

I think it HAS to suck given what these producers think is the recognizable parts of the source material. I think people think Western because that’s the post-post apocalypse mindset/vibe, but the Bethesda titles are way more interested in exploring just the post-apocalypse. I’d imagine we’ll get something closer to last of us/walking dead than a western title.

Back