Fillauth - A Fallout demake

Kinten

First time out of the vault
Hey!
This is my first post so I'm sorry if this comes off as trying to advertise - it really isnt advertising I just felt that this kind of thing is something you guys might enjoy.
The thing is, I've been hanging around this site for quite some time but never really felt I had anything to contribute with until now.

Me and a friend are working on a small game (since yesterday) to participate with in a game dev competition over at a site called The Independent Gaming Source. TIGSource hosts compos like this on a regular basis. There's no awards, just the enjoyment of participating!
The theme of this months competition is "bootleg demake", which means you're supposed to make a fake earlier version of a famous title.
Being avid Fallout fans we decided to make a Fallout demake.
The plan is to make a game with a graphical style of the early ninetees, with a resolution of 160x120.
One of the compo rules is that you're not allowed to use any copyright material, so everything, including sounds, music and graphics, need to be remade. This is also goes for the title.
Our game is called "Fillauth".
Enough talking!

You can check out the intro here. Observe that the crappy English is intentional! Read the story to learn why :)

Here's a couple of work in progress shots:
screen.jpg

weapons.jpg

death1.gif

Original pixel size:
screensmall.jpg

We'll post updates in the original thread as we go.

Cheers!

Per said:
Beautiful. D-does it come with a construction kit?

Thanks!

We're working hard on a map editor now. The game is supposed to be done by the end of the month, so I'm not sure how far we'll get.
We're gonna try making it as moddable as possible on the short amount of time we've got.

It's made in lua script though, so the code will be open source :)

I'm a sucker for those old skool graphics.

It's just... *sniff*... beautifal.
In either an amazingly cool way or a mad scientist esque way.

Cool, very cool. The graphics is fantastic, reminds me of my first Commodore (unforutnately monochrome) or all the games I have in DOSBox :-)

Hey guys, thanks for the comments! Sorry for not keeping you posted though.

The compo deadline has been postponed, so we still have a couple of days to finish this thing.

Here are two new dev shots:

inventory1.jpg

travelshot.jpg

Cool :) What are you using as the game engine? Could we mod it to run in higher res? It's just the fallout2 engine is limited and we are always looking for ways around it :)

Wild_qwerty -

We're using our own engine, called daisy, but instead of building executables we use Lua script, which means the whole code is in an editable Lua file. Since our texture editor is public you could technically create which ever game you like. Lua isn't the most powerful, but I'm sure it is sufficient for creating a higher-res Fallout clone than Fillauth.

Other games we've made using this technique (both participating in the same competition) are "House Globe", a Home World demake and "Because It's Fun Fay" (BIFF) , a proceduraly generated platformer for the proceduraly generated competition. Both spanning about two weeks of development.

House Globe can be found here
and BIFF can be found here
If you download them you'll be able to see the code by reading the .lua files in the Daisymoon folders.

EDIT: To make a proper Fallout clone however, you would probably need access to the main Daisy code.

Back