First day of Fallout 3 - my first impressions

ashley52

First time out of the vault
Well what can be said about a game ten years in the waiting.

Preconceptions aside, Today I bought this game, and over the last 5hours have given it my undivided attention.

And the best way to express the plethora of my emotions and comments would be to approach this systematically.

The Graphics

Technically it is poor and obsolete by todays standards. Somwhere around Half -Life circa. The water effects are stale, the colors are plain, and the motion capture is rigid. Forget shadow and lighting effects... its amazing how lifeless outdated graphics look in a 3d first person shooter. I am a seasoned veteran of games like Call of Duty 4, Crysis, Half life 2... etc. and Fallout 3 is a complete generation behind.

The Performance

It was never suppose to be an issue for an RPG like this. It wasnt important... but Bethesda have brought this on themselves... introducing us to a First Person Shooter perspective. because now, the performance is a major barrier to its immersion.
Simply put, this is a choppy performing shooter. Its DISASTROUS in many ways. The animation is unresponsive, clunky, awkward, and rigid. Like bricks and sticks compared to the fluidity and motion of better games of the same genre.

The storyline

Laboriously elementary for the first half of the vault experience. Sometimes I felt like I was playing a Half Life mod. The introduction is painfully slow and suprisigly boring and uneventful. It improves towards the latter stages, and only here do I start to feel like this game was coming to life. All of a sudden it occurred to me that my actions have an impending consequence. There are moral decisions to be made up until your departure from the vault. This was truly starting to feel like a "choose your own destiny". Much more consequentail than Deus Ex or even previous fallout versions.

And upon leaving the vault and looking out onto the vast landscape it becomes ever apparent as to the exansiveness of this experience to come.

The Art

The art concept has changed. For better or worse, the transition of 2d photo to 3d polygons has changed the feel. In a way this game looks alot more like Half Life with a bunch of Fallout boy stickers to remind you of the franchise. Of course, thats an exaggeration but thats really how it feels as I explored the world. The scenery is dark, grim and gritty. I havent seen much of the same dark humor or the cartoonish undertone that forged the cult status of Fallout 1 and 2. The death animations are not the same for sure, in fact, its ridiculous to witness beheadings with a 10mm pistol. Fun for some people, mostly pathetic for others. It looks trash.
Polygons just dont do it for me. And especially outdated and poorly performing polygons as I described before.

The Gameplay

The gameplay is different. Whilst the Vast system saves this game from a shitty point and shoot game. AND I MEAN SHIT. The pinnacle of the Vast system is ultimately undermined by the freestyle point and shoot option. Action Points and the role playing nature is somewhat lost. And in turn this watered down free playing option trickles down to effect all role playing mechanics in place. i.e. Perks, Stats, SPECIAL....(what happened to Traits?)
As a point and shoot this game is shitty, in a poorly coded amateur way.

OVERALL

Of course from the summation of what I have said, one would conclude that this game is a total flop. But ........
in some remarkable way, I am still excited to play this tomorrow night. This game is nothing like FALLOUT. And in the last 5 hous I have slowly come to accept this. Once I got over the fact I will not see a proper sequel, I began to enjoy this game as a separate entity.

Its still a fun game for new reasons. Just non of the reasons that I had been waiting for... for the last 10 years. SO yes it fails. but no its not a flop.

ashley52 said:
All of a sudden it occurred to me that my actions have an impending consequence. There are moral decisions to be made up until your departure from the vault.

thats odd, since I was a total jerk in the vault-part and it didn't change a thing. Everybody was nice to me. No impact at all. I murderd everyone I could see and left as "Shiny beacon of hope" (or what they name it now).

1 hour after the fault I already killed a bunch of raiders at level 2 (medium difficulty) and now own several weapons, includimg smgs, laser pistols, hunting rifles and even a flamethrower. I sure miss the fallout fealing were you carefully level up and slowly get new stuff. Oh boy was I happy when I first got my combat armor in F2. F3 on the other hand gives me heavy weapons within minutes and even worse I can fully use them due to the fact that stats don't matter in real time.

I think I will stop playing and wait till the sdk is released and somebody can fix all the glitches, mistakes and the general imbalance. I'm not sure if it is possible at all, but right now the game is not playable for me. Its a stupid egoshooter set in an empty world. That fun to you? To me? Hell no.

I still remember how happy I was after getting my first plasma rifle after I plundered The Glow in my first time in F1. That day I fell in love with Fallout. The deserted bases with sense of danger, mystery.. with an armory to loot somewhere deep inside them. It rocks. Not to mention that very simple track that plays in Sierra Army Depot.. and makes 90% of the atmosphere ;)

If F3 doesn't have it, it sucks balls. :(

ashley52 said:
The art concept has changed. For better or worse, the transition of 2d photo to 3d polygons has changed the feel.

I wonder where you got that Fallout 1 you played. Mine was fully rendered 3D, albeit a bit old. Care to share a link? :P

When you say the graphics are like Half Life I hope you mean Half Life 2 otherwise you're kidding yourself.

Frankly, I think you're basically being a stubborn curmudgeon. "Preconceptions aside," yeah OK. This game looks like its a mod of Half Life? Honestly, I can understand a certain degree of disappointment, but come on, you're deliberately skewing it for yourself. If the game is such a blasphemy why play it? Fallout: BoS was an abomination and I didn't even touch it. But Fallout 3?

I think Bethesda deliberately chose to forgo the humor because they couldn't quite replicate it well enough, and instead decided to make the game darker and grittier.

I completed Fallout 1 and 2. Sure FO3 lore and dialogue-wise is lacking, but all things considered you have to admit it's pretty fun to explore the FO world in FPS. The gameplay reminds me of Deus Ex, which is something I think we all can agree on.

Agreed if this game does nothing else, I enjoy exploring the post-apocalyptic landscape in first or 3rd person.
I am a huge Fallout nut, but I'm enjoying this game.

I tried my hardest to enjoy it, I did. There were a few parts worth it, but mostly, I couldn't stand the breaking of old tradition. But I guess I'm just an old man amoungst younglings. :D

DForge said:
I still remember how happy I was after getting my first plasma rifle after I plundered The Glow in my first time in F1. That day I fell in love with Fallout. The deserted bases with sense of danger, mystery.. with an armory to loot somewhere deep inside them. It rocks. Not to mention that very simple track that plays in Sierra Army Depot.. and makes 90% of the atmosphere ;)

If F3 doesn't have it, it sucks balls. :(

So true. I miss the old Fallout soundtrack, it was always kind of mysterious and creepy.

asuhdds said:
I completed Fallout 1 and 2. Sure FO3 lore and dialogue-wise is lacking, but all things considered you have to admit it's pretty fun to explore the FO world in FPS. The gameplay reminds me of Deus Ex, which is something I think we all can agree on.

For me the breaking of lore and dialogue is a deal breaker, plain and simple. If I wanted a generic action game, I'd buy an Xbox360, and some shitty console twitch game.

If a game has "Fallout" in the title, I want it be be... guess what... a Fallout game.

FO3 isn't a Fallout game. It's a shitty RPG, an even worse shooter.

As for exploring the PA world, that would be fine except there are no shadows, recycled buildings, everything is brown (after 200 years plants would have come back), and it seems that everything is 5 mins apart. It took days to walk from place to place in FO1 and 2, and this should have been reflected more in FO3.

Back