FMD-ROM

• Thread starter Thread starter Skynet
  • Start date Start date
S

Skynet

Hey Xotor, I went to that page that you suggested if one was interested in the next generation of data storage. I read some dumbed-down oversight of how the FMD-ROM devices would work and I surmised (because you posted about the storage thingies) that you are well familiarized (English is not my primary language, I don't know if the word "familiarized" exists or not) with how data storage devices work. They say they will be able to make CD-sized disks with 140 GB capacity and in the future expand it to be 1 TB (!!). They plan to use "volumetric storage" in multiple layers to achieve that goal. I am somewhat profficient with Physics but I didn't understand most of the processes behind the FMD-ROMs. What I understood is that they will use volumetric storage as in opposed to the track storage currently being used. So that means they are probable going to start cranking out holograms and holographic projectors? If you could help me by enlightening me in those matters (volumetric data storage and FMD-ROMs), I would hugely appreciate it.

Any spelling errors, please clear out for me, friends and if they come un-flame coated, it would be better...

>Hey Xotor, I went to that
>page that you suggested if
>one was interested in the
>next generation of data storage.
> I read some dumbed-down
>oversight of how the FMD-ROM
>devices would work and I
>surmised (because you posted about
>the storage thingies) that you
>are well familiarized (English is
>not my primary language, I
>don't know if the word
>"familiarized" exists or not) with
>how data storage devices work.
> They say they will
>be able to make CD-sized
>disks with 140 GB capacity
>and in the future expand
>it to be 1 TB
>(!!). They plan to
>use "volumetric storage" in multiple
>layers to achieve that goal.
> I am somewhat profficient
>with Physics but I didn't
>understand most of the processes
>behind the FMD-ROMs. What
>I understood is that they
>will use volumetric storage as
>in opposed to the track
>storage currently being used.
>So that means they are
>probable going to start cranking
>out holograms and holographic projectors?
> If you could help
>me by enlightening me in
>those matters (volumetric data storage
>and FMD-ROMs), I would hugely
>appreciate it.

With CD-ROM and DVD-ROM disks, the data is extracted by reflecting a laser beam off of the metallic substrate (reflective layer) on the disk. The drive then interprets that data that is reflected off of the disk and converts it into digital data.

Now with DVDs, they take advantage of multiple layers of reflective material inside the disk, that's why they can hold a lot more than a regular CD, which only has one layer. The problem is that if you try adding more than, say, two layers, the signal reaching the bottom layers becomes weaker and more prone to interference because the beam has to move through the upper layers.

That's where FMD-ROMs come in. By using a flourescent laser and different type of substrate, one that is transparent, the FMD-ROM drive can read data from layers many layers below the top layer with no interference because only the flourescent wavelengths are interpretted and used.

This means that you can put many more layers onto a single disk than previous methods. In essence, you could put something like ten layers on a single FMD-ROM, or even more.

Also, because of the nature of FMD-ROMs, the drive can read multiple layers at one time at one place, something impossible for reflective-based media. CD-ROM drives have upped their read capability by using more than one laser at different spots or by speeding up the disk to ultra-high speeds, but the FMD-ROMs can read multiple layers at once. Just think about reading ten layers at once per spin. That's like getting 10x speed for every 1x spin. Imagine a 40x drive which would equate to a 400x normal read.

That's why these FMD-ROM drives may be able to reach 1 gigabit/second transfer rate. 1x CD-ROM speeds are, what, 150kB/sec, e.g. 1200kbit/sec? That would make 1 gigabit/sec be equivalent to a 833x CD-ROM drive?

-Xotor-

[div align=center]

http://www.poseidonet.f2s.com/files/nostupid.gif
[/div]

RE: Thanks

Thanks a lot man, now I understand how cd-roms and cd-ROMRs work. Those FMD devices show great potential but I sincerely hope that the guys that develop the FMD-ROMs have the good sense of adding CD-ROM and DVD-ROM capability because there is no doubt that those FMD-ROMs will have stratospherical (is this how it is spelled) costs at the beggining and since I don't live in the US, I think its going to be a while before I get my hands on one of them. On other matter, I agree completely with you regarding the subject of the length that FO3 should have. I always zip through rpgs at burning speeds and I am always hungry for more Frank Horrigan-thrashing action and more Master's butt-whupping fest. I agree with you in that the game should be 16 cds (or more) long. If they implement a 3D, Third person view engine, they will be able to stash more relevant stuff in the cds. I personally think that the game should come out in a DVD or FMD (if they are out by the time FO3 comes out that is) disk because as some guys said disk swapping is a bit annoying.
To avoid making this post humongous (mine always are), I now put period and with a final thank you, I say: later dude.

RE: Try this one Xotor

It,s a combo unit wich includes a cd and an optical drive. It configure as drive E for my Cd-rom and drive F as a removeable drive. The drive unite is the same size as a cd-rom drive with a tray only deeper. I insert a "disk" wich is like a cd-rom in a jewel case. Each "disk" has a capacity of 650 Mb, like a regular cd-rom. I use it as a regular drive so i can write, rewrite format and so forth without wasting space like a CD-RW. The drive is a 10x Cd-rom and the PD cartridges transfer data at a rate of 518 to 1,141 kilobytes per second.

I use it for backups, since the disks are in a protected jewel case i dont have to worry about degradation of data. PD cartridges store data in a spiral pattern. Data on a PD cartridge is read at a constant angular velocity (CAV). PD cartridges can be written more than one million times. They have a estimated shelf life of 30 years.

btw i was not trying to "nail" you on this one just checking your knowledge of older technologies.

"I'm Ugly and I AM CANADIAN!"
http://www.iam.ca/images/iam.ca_logo.gif
http://www.poseidonet.f2s.com/files/nostupid.gif

RE: Try this one Xotor

Sounds like a big MD

:)

>It,s a combo unit wich includes
>a cd and an optical
>drive. It configure as
>drive E for my Cd-rom
>and drive F as
>a removeable drive. The drive
>unite is the same size
>as a cd-rom drive with
>a tray only deeper. I
>insert a "disk" wich is
>like a cd-rom in a
>jewel case. Each "disk" has
>a capacity of 650 Mb,
>like a regular cd-rom. I
>use it as a regular
>drive so i can write,
>rewrite format and so forth
>without wasting space like a
>CD-RW. The drive is a
>10x Cd-rom and the PD
>cartridges transfer data at a
>rate of 518 to 1,141
>kilobytes per second.
>
>I use it for backups, since
>the disks are in a
>protected jewel case i dont
>have to worry about degradation
>of data. PD cartridges store
>data in a spiral pattern.
>Data on a PD cartridge
>is read at a constant
>angular velocity (CAV). PD cartridges
>can be written more than
>one million times. They have
>a estimated shelf life of
>30 years.
>
>
>btw i was not trying to
>"nail" you on this one
>just checking your knowledge of
>older technologies.
>
>
>"I'm Ugly and I AM CANADIAN!"
>
>http://www.iam.ca/images/iam.ca_logo.gif
>http://www.poseidonet.f2s.com/files/nostupid.gif

[a href=//fallout.gamestats.com/pipboy2000le/][IMG SRC=//fallout.gamestats.com/pipboy2000le/img/tmslogo.gif" border=0][/a]

[a href="mailto: Smackrazor@mailandnews.com" style="font-family:arial;font-size: 9pt;color:#008DE6;text-decoration:underline;]Smackrazor[/a]

[font style=font-family:arial;font-size: 9pt;color:#008DE6;]The Modding Kingpin​

Back