FO2 Mechanics Overhaul Mod

I was very hyped when downloading this mod considering the detail you went into it, I hoped Fallout would be somewhat closer to Jagged Alliance balance wise after installing it. However I have an issue (I did everything readme said to do) when launching it, I get following error: Couldn't find/load text fonts. Help please? Is it because of steam version?

Well, your problem is in fallout2.cfg. Which is in Mechanics Overhaul Mod folder. Game can't find master.dat and crtter.dat for that matter.

Make sure you copy mod's folder itself into Fallout2 folder, NOT the contents of the folder. Then follow mod's instructions.
If that's not the case, you gotta check fallout2.cfg to have the paths pointing to master and critter dat. By default, mod's looking for them in a folder one step lower in the directory tree.

[system]
art_cache_size=8
color_cycling=1
critter_dat=..\critter.dat
critter_patches=data
cycle_speed_factor=1
executable=game
free_space=20480
hashing=1
interrupt_walk=1
language=english
master_dat=..\master.dat
master_patches=data
scroll_lock=0
splash=3

Edit: Just checked on steam version. All works. Btw, you might wanna change these too.
To this: Otherwise your character will vanish if you'll try to use pistol, knife, hammer or firearms with tribal skin.

;To change the default and starting player models, uncomment the next four lines.
;The default models can also be changed ingame via script
MaleStartModel=hmjmps
;MaleDefaultModel=hmjmps
FemaleStartModel=hfjmps
;FemaleDefaultModel=hfjmps

Last edited:
It's funny when I think about it: Sduibek's Fallout Fixt sets the art_cache_size to 64 and free_space to 0, in order to precache more things and avoiding "Not enough disc space" crashes from the latter. He's got things that could be carried over!

Well, your problem is in fallout2.cfg. Which is in Mechanics Overhaul Mod folder. Game can't find master.dat and crtter.dat for that matter.

Make sure you copy mod's folder itself into Fallout2 folder, NOT the contents of the folder. Then follow mod's instructions.
If that's not the case, you gotta check fallout2.cfg to have the paths pointing to master and critter dat. By default, mod's looking for them in a folder one step lower in the directory tree.

[system]
art_cache_size=8
color_cycling=1
critter_dat=..\critter.dat
critter_patches=data
cycle_speed_factor=1
executable=game
free_space=20480
hashing=1
interrupt_walk=1
language=english
master_dat=..\master.dat
master_patches=data
scroll_lock=0
splash=3

Edit: Just checked on steam version. All works. Btw, you might wanna change these too.
To this: Otherwise your character will vanish if you'll try to use pistol, knife, hammer or firearms with tribal skin.

;To change the default and starting player models, uncomment the next four lines.
;The default models can also be changed ingame via script
MaleStartModel=hmjmps
;MaleDefaultModel=hmjmps
FemaleStartModel=hfjmps
;FemaleDefaultModel=hfjmps
Thanks - I figured out the first one on my own (just googled the error) I had to set the paths manually, no idea why it wouldn't work by default (I have the folder inside my Fallout 2 folder, not the contents of it directly in F2 folder) but didn't know about the second.

The download links are gone Jim, when is the next version or even re-upload?

They're gone purposely because it's buggy as hell apparently, but senior Dobrovnik felt it should be stored somewhere which is commendable I guess ;).

If you want to follow developments on my latest "version" (I'm honestly overriding pretty much everything I've done so far, so not sure that's the proper term) check this thread over at the codex.

They're gone purposely because it's buggy as hell apparently, but senior Dobrovnik felt it should be stored somewhere which is commendable I guess ;).

If you want to follow developments on my latest "version" (I'm honestly overriding pretty much everything I've done so far, so not sure that's the proper term) check this thread over at the codex.
Fine with me, I guess. Your videos demonstrating some concepts you cooked up made it look like a re-creation of Fallout's engine as though they were for a source port.… Some of them would actually be of use, like the burst cone and grenade bounce. :nod:

Falltergeist is still a long way to go however.

europe25.jpg

This feller?
:lol:

Drobovik seems to have archived versions of all sorts of mods, I guess for sinister purposes that we can't even begin to understand.

Jim, that pulse rifle is absolutely incredible! How did you do that?

Jim, how do you set on critter flags TransRed/TransEnergy?
I read all the documentation on scripting ssl and sfall, and have not found the appropriate commands for this implementation.
If you don't mind can you tell how it made you?

Last edited:
Jim, how do you set on critter flags TransRed/TransEnergy?
I read all the documentation on scripting ssl and sfall, and have not found the appropriate commands for this implementation.
If you don't mind can you tell how it made you?

Probably he used set_proto_data function. All values of prototypes can be changed dynamically using this function.
I think you can just decompile his code and look for yourself :)

Probably he used set_proto_data function. All values of prototypes can be changed dynamically using this function.
I think you can just decompile his code and look for yourself :)
Что ты там говоришь?! русский совсем забыл? :)
Пробовал я этот set_proto_data - менял по смещению PROTO_CR_FLAGS (52) из define_extra.h и ничего... может неправильно как-то.
И по логике и описанию set_proto_data вроде как для всех прото-файлов меняет, а мне надо для некоторых криттеров на карте.
Я скачивал его мод и что-то не нашел, мне кажется в моде кода такого нет. :)
Подождем когда ответит Jim.

Last edited:
Hey @TheEart, sorry I'm a bit out of the loop right now, but I think this is what you're looking for:

set_proto_data(pid, 20, get_proto_data(pid, 20) BWOR (flag))

with pid being the prototype you want to change, and flag one of the following flags:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]0x00000008 - Flat (rendered first, just after tiles)[/COLOR]0x00000010 - NoBlock (doesn't block the tile)
0x00000800 - MultiHex 
0x00001000 - No Highlight (doesn't highlight the border; used for containers) 
0x00004000 - TransRed 
0x00008000 - TransNone (opaque) 
0x00010000 - TransWall 
0x00020000 - TransGlass
0x00040000 - TransSteam 
0x00080000 - TransEnergy
0x10000000 - WallTransEnd (changes transparency egg logic. Set for walls with 1144 - 1155 pid)
0x20000000 - LightThru 
0x80000000 - ShootThru

Last edited by a moderator:
set_proto_data(pid, 20, get_proto_data(pid, 20) BWOR (flag))
Thank you, I have already used set_proto_data and my mistake was in the wrong offset for flag.

This is only suitable if you put a new critter on the map. How does it change for those critters that are already on the map? it possible?.

Last edited:
Can you give me the link ?
I can't find it in the database and the links in the first page are dead

Back