Free Play 2007, Melbourne

Discussion in 'General Gaming and Hardware Forum' started by babadook, Aug 8, 2007.

1. babadook

babadook Legislative Senator oTO Orderite

Apr 2, 2005
    The topics and speaker program can be fetched here.

and there is one topic that especially caught my eye

There's a lot more interesting stuff in there so if you're into game making, check it out! I'm definitely going.

Links:
    http://www.nextwave.org.au/
    http://www.nextwavefreeplay.blogspot.com/

2. ratsnack

ratsnack Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 27, 2005
    thanks for heads up! see ya there

3. the4thlaw

the4thlaw It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 13, 2007
    an Australian event you say :shock:

had to be in bloody Melbourne... AFL country.... :P

4. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    I'd go there. but since everything I know about Australia comes from the Simpsons... I'm worried about the bull frog epidemic.

Did that ever clear up?

5. ratsnack

ratsnack Still Mildly Glowing

Jun 27, 2005
  6. the4thlaw

the4thlaw It Wandered In From the Wastes

Jul 13, 2007
    Cane Toads can be found in Queensland, which doesn't share any borders with Victoria, where Melbourne is.

Keep an eye on your valuables though, with us being convicts and all...

oop it's lunch time, i better take my kangaroo down to the vet and eat some baby dingos, g'day no worries shrimp barbies dundee crikey.
    :mrgreen:

7. generalissimofurioso

generalissimofurioso The Hole Time Orderite

Jun 17, 2007
    Cool, I'll have to get one of those giant beers while I'm down there...

That and get into a couple of rounds of knifey-spooney with the locals.

8. Duckman

Duckman Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!

Nov 18, 2005
    So how did this go? Did anyone actually go?

They could have had it in a REAL Australian city, like Sydney... Might have been a little more easier to get to :D

9. babadook

babadook Legislative Senator oTO Orderite

Apr 2, 2005
    It was great. Some really nice speakers and projects. Missed some pretty important stuff because of a stomach on strike and bad hangover though but overall 8/10.

I must say the first lecture was the best one. He really covered most aspects of being creative the right way. Another quite amusing thing was the lawyer that taught us why the big boys can't be creative. There's a law that says they must increase the value of their shares (he was american but made a wild guess australia had it too ;) ), which might seem natural and good. The bad side is that they can't do anything that might decrease the value. He basically said proven concepts are the only way they can go (first person shooters anyone?).

...and that was kind of the point of the whole conference. The importance of indie developers that are able to take those chances, so that when they succeed can be made by the bigger companies.

They also told us how to become a successful games developer. Make games until the deal comes to you.