"Gifted" Perk: overpowered or not?

Gifted:

• Perk is totally awesome and not unbalanced at all; Leave it as-is.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Boooo! Perk is unbalanced and a cheap cheat. Nerf it!

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Modder
Per said:
Gifted: The stat bonuses counteract the skill penalties (especially if you put a few extra points to IN), so this is universally regarded as the best trait. I don't use it myself because it almost feels like cheating, or at the very least it spoils the challenge of balancing your stats.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that getting 7 extra stat points is completely amazing even if you lose skill points, and changes the game quite a bit. However what I'm not sure of, is if people think it's "too much".

Please reply with what you think of Gifted as it currently is. Thanks!

I have included below a proposed example of a nerf for Gifted, let me know if you think it's reasonable/necessary.

Code:
SKILL POINTS PER LEVEL

INT      Normal      Gifted (vanilla)      Gifted (proposed, only changes INT > 5)
1         7             2                       2                                               
2         9             4                       4                                               
3         11            6                       6                                               
4         13            8                       8                                               
5         15            10                      10                                              
6         17            12                      11                                              
7         19            14                      12                                              
8         21            16                      13                                              
9         23            18                      14                                              
10        25            20                      15

Last edited:
I usually avoid it. It's really not worth taking if you know which stats matter for quests when you have drugs. And 5 skill points/level really comes in handy if you play on hard.

Is it worth nerfing? I don't think so.

I agree with mobucks. I never choose it because I feel I'll need more the skillpoints in the long run. Specially as PA gives me extra strength, there are memory modules for other stats, etc. It might make the begining far easier, but I think skillpoints pay off more at the end.

There are memory modules for other stats, etc.

Well this only applies to Fallout 2.

In Fallout, each stat can be raised once throughout the game, and Power Armor, that's it. (Unless you're a cheating dick, in which case you can get another 1 point to INT, CHA, and LCK.)

In Fallout, each stat can be raised once throughout the game, and Power Armor, that's it.
Well, but that's exactly what you get from gifted.
My point was that it's unlike Fallout 2, where you can choose a "Perk" a bunch of times to upgrade all your stats. Fallout 2 is pretty stupid that way, actually. Stats hardly matter at all when you can just up them with Perks. Fallout 2 has many ways to gain stats, Fallout only has 4: Chuck, Patrick, Lorri, Power Armor, totalling +1 natural to all stats, with further artificial bonus from Power Armor. Fallout 2 has significantly more than this.

(Unless you're a cheating dick, in which case you can get another 1 point to INT, CHA, and LCK.)
How's that?
I don't remember how, but there was a way to get the Charisma twice from Patrick (maybe by hitting 0 to exit dialog trick?), and can also use exploit to get the Luck bonus twice from the fortuneteller in Adytum, and can exploit the "Stupid upgrade" as well as normal operation at BoS from Lorri. I believe they are all fixed in my mod as well as TeamX patches.

Huh, everyone who's voted so far says it's OK as-is. Interesting, I did not expect that.

Huh, everyone who's voted so far says it's OK as-is. Interesting, I did not expect that.

Maybe that's because we are a bunch of pussies. I know I am.

Seriously, though, why not make it an optional feature?
Maybe not outright removing it, but, I don't know, half the amount of extra SPECIAL points or something like that.
I believe some more hardcore players will appreciate it to be a harder choice to use it.

EDIT: Anyway, directly removing seems to be a bad idea, at least if it will be optional, as anyone who considers it to be OP will probably just not use it.
EDIT2: Oh, I see the idea was already nerfing it.

I don't think you should bother nerfing it. I don't use it myself because I don't usually play with an highly intelligent character. I think it's fine the way it is.

Maybe that's because we are a bunch of pussies. I know I am.
:lol:

Seriously, though, why not make it an optional feature?
Yes yes, optional planned. lol, I'm still the only one that voted for it to be nerfed. Fascinating. Apparently Per is outspoken on this one, haha. But hey that's why I start threads like this and ask you guys here and the guys at RPGCodex. Sometimes it's better to get the consensus than to just make my own decisions.

-

I'm surprised those of you who say you don't play with high INT. Is it because your characters don't focus on dialog? Do you feel the points are better spent elsewhere instead of getting more skillpoints per level? I always go with relatively high INT unless I'm playing a Stupid game.

Yes yes, optional planned. lol, I'm still the only one that voted for it to be nerfed. Fascinating. Apparently Per is outspoken on this one, haha.
And now you are not.

The trait is ridiculously overpowered because it does not have a drawback - you can make up for the skill points lost by investing 3 stat points in INT, and that still leaves you with 4 as a net profit. But then again, some people like unbalanced things like this, it makes the game more fun for them to have such options available.

I would appreciate an option to nerf Gifted, and perhaps to buff some perks like Educated, because I rarely use them due to how weak of how game-breaking they are. Making them more in line with other perks/traits of similar level might make me consider them. It never hurts to have a choice.

So, if you have time available, I say go for it. :)

@Nevill Yes I am definitely planning to boost Educated, because as it stands that Perk is shit. Do you think 5 skillpoints (up from 2) is enough, or should it be higher?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think +5 points per level of Educated should be enough, considering in FO1 it still takes only 1 point for 1% increment after 100%.
Or how about making the additional skill points related to player's IN, like (IN/2 + 2) per level? (Its min. req. is IN 6, for +5 points.) But I'm not sure if that would make it a bit overpowered.

I wouldn't change it even if it is overpowered. You don't have to take it if you don't want to, and I see no good reason why every perk should conform to some arbitrary notion of balance.

I wouldn't change it even if it is overpowered. You don't have to take it if you don't want to, and I see no good reason why every perk should conform to some arbitrary notion of balance.

Well, not balance per se in the case of Educated; for that perk, the issue is, why would you want shitty perks that no one uses because they're shitty? It's just a waste.

The trait is ridiculously overpowered because it does not have a drawback - you can make up for the skill points lost by investing 3 stat points in INT, and that still leaves you with 4 as a net profit. But then again, some people like unbalanced things like this, it makes the game more fun for them to have such options available.

You also get -10% to all skills, so it might conceivably have been an ok trait even if you'd still make up the deficit over time if more skills had a use to them. Anyway, Sduibek, ignore the poll and nerf away 8-)

Back