GIVE A CUSTOM MAIN CARACTER A TAGNAME?

WOW... Looks like a divine intervention to me! Does it works also if I only use FT Improver.exe to launch the game? I need to use improver to have my custom armors to work...

So let me get this straight... All I have to do is open BOS.EXE with any old hex editor, Find address 000F6857 and change the value from 12 to 56 and then squad member tag-names will work ?

Has anybody actually tested this ? And why hasn't this been mentioned/discovered before ? How exactly did this discovery come about ?

If this proves to be true, It changes everything as far a FOT modding goes... this will open a whole new realm of possibilities.

Thanks RobertHouse. I will sure test it when I have some time. And you damn right Xkcon, if it works in a stable manner ingame, that will RALLY change A LOT of things!!

So let me get this straight... All I have to do is open BOS.EXE with any old hex editor, Find address 000F6857 and change the value from 12 to 56 and then squad member tag-names will work ?
Yes. :)

Has anybody actually tested this ? And why hasn't this been mentioned/discovered before ? How exactly did this discovery come about ?
I've tested all but this HeX edit and they work without problems, there are really only a handful of pro HeX editors that have spent time to figure this stuff out, most of them post all over the net in little comments that get buried and forgotten. :(

I will have to test this on my own before I am truly convinced. I find it hard to believe that in the glory days of FOT modding, that Requiem, JJ86, Jarekfall et al wouldn't or couldn't have known something about this. Anyways It would be cool if it does indeed work, but unfortunately for me, My MOD is in the final stretches and I most likely won't use any of the new features (if they indeed exist) in my first Release.

It doesn't work. I edited the BOS.EXE file

HexPic1.PNG

And then tried some simple different triggers.

1 Condition: Unit ((tagname) Patch) has exactly 1 alive at anywhere Action:Unit (Patch) will use speech node XXX

2 Condition: Unit ((tagname) Patch) has exactly 1 death at anywhere Action: Add 4000xp to player 1

It did not work!

If you can get it to work please post some Screenshots. Otherwise, I say bogus info

Sounds strange to try the trigger "Unit has exactly 1 alive or 1 death"... this condition seems to refer more to a player having 1, 2, 3 alive/dead. It may be that your simple trigger was not simple enough bhehe. You should try "Move unit tagged ____ to unit tagged _____". You will know without doupt if it does not work because the game itself will crash if there is no unit to move the first unit to!

Last edited:
I will have to test this on my own before I am truly convinced. I find it hard to believe that in the glory days of FOT modding, that Requiem, JJ86, Jarekfall et al wouldn't or couldn't have known something about this. Anyways It would be cool if it does indeed work, but unfortunately for me, My MOD is in the final stretches and I most likely won't use any of the new features (if they indeed exist) in my first Release.

I do believe Jarekfall posted 1 or 2 HeX edits here back when i first started modding, I'll find the post... I may also have a TXT file on a disk too.

Well i hope someone figures it out, I could use some features like this.

Sounds strange to try the trigger "Unit has exactly 1 alive or 1 death"... this condition seems to refer more to a player having 1, 2, 3 alive/dead. It may be that your simple trigger was not simple enough bhehe. You should try "Move unit tagged ____ to unit tagged _____". You will know without doupt if it does not work because the game itself will crash if there is no unit to move the first unit to!

Not exactly sure what is so strange about it ?! A very basic trigger used in some form on almost everyone of my map. If a tagnamed entity has exactly 1 death at anywhere reward player with xp. what is strange about that ? In this case the entity was a Squad member named 'Patch' , not exactly sure what u r talking about 'player having 1,2,3 alive/dead' -- we're not counting the deaths, we're acknowledging the death of a specific Squad member -- And this is exactly the thing we are testing it for in the first place - Too acknowledge a specific squad members death!

The other trigger is also very common -- 'unit has quantity alive at zone' -- used to identify if such an such an entity enters/exists in a specific zone -- or if you leave the zone on the default 'anywhere' it fires the trigger as soon as the entity is on the map. I use it all the time to trigger speech when an entity gets to a certain place.

Bottom line -- it didn't work... And I tried a few other triggers... they didn't work, and I don't feel like explaining anymore.

As I said earlier, if you can get it to work then post a few pics... I would be happy to be wrong...

First of all i should say this: info came from russian topic on russian fallout.ru forum, and this specific fix mentioned only "preserving tagname for main character between maps". Neither more nor less than this.

I find it hard to believe that in the glory days of FOT modding, that Requiem, JJ86, Jarekfall
To be honest, AFAIR no one of them really tried to research HEX structure of bos.exe that deep. Jarekfall said he would add some of mentioned fixes in Improver, but then he never responded to my e-mails and generally speaking vanished from internetz. He was interested in other things (new armor, ammo etc). And JJ86 was more of a mapper then programmer, right?

Long story:
This random russian programmer (he worked on some Fallout 2 projects and until 2012 didn't pay any attention for FT) named 'HEX' just came to us and asked if he can be of any help to us. Then there was a 5 page topic full of brainstorming and some HEX adresseses he found. Most of them were tested by us. I believe tagname fix was very intreresting for comrade Hmt who works (or worked) on Open FT mod. I didn't test THIS particular fix myself, but i believe Hmt in such situations.

I will probably post full list of what we found in new topic so people outside of Fallout.ru could test and use this knowledge.

P.S.: yep, actually posted some info in FT Redux mod topic long time ago. Not the best source of HEX info anyway.

Last edited:
First of all i should say this: info came from russian topic on russian fallout.ru forum, and this specific fix mentioned only "preserving tagname for main character between maps". Neither more nor less than this.

I see... well than that explains why It doesn't work on other squaddies... It is a moot point then because, Really there is very little need for the main player to have a tagname as he is the character that is onscreen/ingame at all times... the whole point of the quest to fix tagnames was to enable the use of squad members/vehicles in the various triggers...

The very nice use I found on having a stable tagname for the main squadmember is to enable other units (lights, cart, cute pets, loyal robot) to follow the main char everywhere. That is why I think I mentionned the trigger "move unit tagged ____ to unit tagged ____ on the first place. Sorry, I didn't know that you used that trigger before and A LOT. It could be great to use that tagname for that, but in the same time it gets the game itself to be less stable, because a bad trigger could make it crash.

Back