Goddammit, I hate being wrong - showrunners fucked New Vegas

CT Phipps

Carbon Dated and Proud
https://www.pcgamer.com/movies-tv/f...it-is-decade-to-decade-is-preposterous-to-us/

"All we really want the audience to know is that things have happened, so that there isn't an expectation that we pick the show up in season two, following one of the myriad canon endings that depend on your choices when you play [Fallout: New Vegas]," showrunner Graham Wagner said in an interview with GQ (via Eurogamer).

"We really wanted to imply, guys, the world has progressed, and the idea that the wasteland stays as it is decade-to-decade is preposterous to us. It’s just a place [of] constant tragedy, events, horrors—here's a constant churn of trauma. We're definitely implying more has occurred."

"I think it would have been a mistake to go from the retro-futuristic America to another America that has been fully civilised and the NCR is doing everything great," Wagner said in response to a question about the controversial decision to nuke Shady Sands. "We love Deadwood. I think if there was a fourth season of Deadwood, there'd be insurance companies, there'd be traffic, and it wouldn't be a Western anymore. We wanted to live in that first season of Deadwood space, of like, 'What's going to happen? Where is everything?'

"It really was our belief, also, that though there are the events of the games, it's not frozen after that. History is not static. It keeps going, and entropy is a constant. Which is a less flashy way of saying 'war never changes'."

"It seems inevitably the message of the Fallout games is that we will veer towards destruction of some kind, and our best efforts to restart civilization may be doomed," Robertson-Dworet said.

"We do hope to continue that, and create story on top of story... That's been the entire exercise from the jump, right? 25 years of games, how do you do something on top of it, like a teetering Jenga tower. But that was always the goal. So we are hoping to do that again in another area that is strongly implied by the finale of the first season."

In case that wasn't quite pointed enough, referring to the closing shot of New Vegas at the end of the final episode, he added, "It sure would be strange if we went off to New York City after that."

"We love Deadwood. I think if there was a fourth season of Deadwood, there'd be insurance companies, there'd be traffic, and it wouldn't be a Western anymore. We wanted to live in that first season of Deadwood space, of like, 'What's going to happen? Where is everything?'

Christ then why would they make the show set after literally every game in the series and not near the actual apocalypse? And why would they set the show in the West Coast to begin with?

That's like making a Wild West cowboy show set in 1900s New York City and taking away all vestiges of civilization because "We liked Gunsmoke."

Christ then why would they make the show set after literally every game in the series and not near the actual apocalypse? And why would they set the show in the West Coast to begin with?

That's like making a Wild West cowboy show set in 1900s New York City and taking away all vestiges of civilization because "We liked Gunsmoke."

It's not LAS VEGAS if it's Deadwood either, dipshits.

WASTELAND had a fucking functional Las Vegas.

I remember when I used to enjoy PC Gamer, as a magazine, many moons ago. Once in a while, I'm at Barnes & Noble and I think they're like $20 each now. How do they stay in business?

Wasteland Scorpitron ruled.

And for people who think I'm being a hypocrite.

Yes, yes I am.

However, there's a difference between wrecking ONE faction and ALL the factions.

So that's it then, the West is dead including the frontier of the Mojave. Humanity can't progress, war never changes, everything you like will be removed and shit will take its place. RIP Fallout.

4l7kn4.png

What we have now is a corpse being paraded around with the sole purpose of making money through recognizable iconography and nothing else, no actual attempt of any artistry or meaningful content. The sooner people accept it, the better.

Go back to playing Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas, the TC mods, and all the games inspired by the franchise. That's how you honor it.

"It seems inevitably the message of the Fallout games is that we will veer towards destruction of some kind, and our best efforts to restart civilization may be doomed," Robertson-Dworet said.
So on top of being hacks, they're retarded too.

Turns out Retards were Vault-Tec the entire time.

What we have now is a corpse being paraded around with the sole purpose of making money through recognizable iconography and nothing else, no actual attempt of any artistry or meaningful content. The sooner people accept it, the better.

Go back to playing Fallout 1, 2, New Vegas, the TC mods, and all the games inspired by the franchise. That's how you honor it.
I said something similar not too long ago - Fallout's been dead for a long time. What's been presented to us since 2008 (barring NV) has been a skin suit of made up of it's iconography, all the while the wearer is screaming "remember the time", whilst completely missing the point of those "times". Just my take but I really think that the only reason we got FO3 instead of Apocalypse Road, is because of Bethesda's lack of confidence in an original IP, a fear they were right to have.

I get the feeling it's the showrunners/Bethesda's way of not taking responsibility for consistency. What's the importance of what is or isn't canon, when the events of previous entries are rendered moot by the next. It's self contained canon.

Apocalypse Road
I'll say in 2008 this could have easily been sucessful since they were riding a wave of success with Morrowind and Oblivion. If they just did basically the same game as Oblivion, shit would have been popular with the common masses.

But one of the main reasons why they acquired Fallout was to, well i already said it above, to just use its iconography to make a game, both in trying to lure old fans and have a much easier time coming up with a story, characters and so on. Coming up with new stuff actually takes work and time, it's much easier to acquire an old IP, reuse as much as you can from it, and then basically serve a reheated dish to the common masses that have no context why that dish is bad.

The thing with Starfield is that it was released at one of the lowest points in the company's history, because Fallout 4 disappointed a lot of fans, Fallout 76 was (and it's still is) a colossal disaster, and Bethesda constantly re-releasing Skyrim was starting to grate people. Plus Starfield really didn't had any of the shit that appeals to their fans, their insistence of having a bunch of barren, separate overworlds with next to nothing to find is kind of the opposite of what their worlds are in the previous titles, a big overworld where you can just walk from one location to another.

Essentially, it's the death of intellectual discourse. There's nothing more irritating and pointless than guys who go, "Everything about [insert X] sucks. Everything." If you can't say anything positive about X or whatnot then you basically show you don't have two brain cells to rub together. You can't actually converse as an adult because there's nothing valuable in your critique. It's just mindless white noise.

Which benefits the actual shitty changes made by groups because if there's everything is bad, there's no way of critiquing what they did wrong.

It's why I blame the "haters" for the studio system because they don't have any actual suggestions for improvement.

Back