Grand Strategy Games

Roflcore said:
I just started as a total newb again. 1936 and the sowjet union, but I am unsure what to do. I started teching (Inf. Doc, Tank Destroyers, Research and IC production) but I don't know if I should produce units, produce factorys (if so: where and how long) or just spent all my IC on upgrading/reinforcing. I lack the experience to say what units are good and what units are crap and in which way I should prepare.. etc.
any advise how to proceed? I just which their would be a youtube tutorial that explains more than the poor tutorial ingame :/

There's a decent HOI2 wiki, which has a beginners guide plus country guides for a lot of countries. It's certainly helped me at times.

http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi2wiki/index.php/Assorted_Guides

Dragula said:
Crusader Kings is probably the best game Paradox has ever done, problem is, how many americans has an active intrest in european middle age?
I don't know, a lot of American game communities I belong to play it quite a bit. I don't think interest has much to do with it. If you like games, if you like Paradox, then you'll play whatever they put out regardless of where it's set.

Flop said:
Roflcore said:
I just started as a total newb again. 1936 and the sowjet union, but I am unsure what to do. I started teching (Inf. Doc, Tank Destroyers, Research and IC production) but I don't know if I should produce units, produce factorys (if so: where and how long) or just spent all my IC on upgrading/reinforcing. I lack the experience to say what units are good and what units are crap and in which way I should prepare.. etc.
any advise how to proceed? I just which their would be a youtube tutorial that explains more than the poor tutorial ingame :/

There's a decent HOI2 wiki, which has a beginners guide plus country guides for a lot of countries. It's certainly helped me at times.

http://www.paradoxian.org/hoi2wiki/index.php/Assorted_Guides

thanks, that link looks great. had problem reaching some sites of paradox because of the ban of HoI in China. I always look the door when I play R.O.C. :D

Will check it out.
I did play as germany yesterday and I wonder how much difficulty influences the game to what extend. I played on very easy so I wonder did I win because of very easy (was playing vs. yugo and later poland) or because of my superior doctrines.

Also: How do I play a smaller nation? For example Denmark or something like that? According to wiki only micronations like andorra are unplayable, but I am unable to pick any other except the ones in the main screen. Editing needed?
Should I use mods anyways? I edited the misc.txt so that partisan acitivity won't rise over time, any other tips?

Roflcore said:
I did play as germany yesterday and I wonder how much difficulty influences the game to what extend. I played on very easy so I wonder did I win because of very easy (was playing vs. yugo and later poland) or because of my superior doctrines.

It was probably because you were on Very Easy. Basically, the difficulties basically just give IC penalties/bonuses to AI controlled countries. Also, as Germany, you should really proceed Historically up untill the 1939 invasion of Poland, otherwise things can get really screwy. Look up the history of WWII and use those in game as guides.

How to play as smaller countries?

Right-Click (or shift click, I forget) on any country's flag when you start a scenerio. It will bring up a big list of countries to select. You can play Luxembourg or Yemen if you wanted to. Although it might not be an interesting game :P

LogisticEarth said:
Roflcore said:

It was probably because you were on Very Easy. Basically, the difficulties basically just give IC penalties/bonuses to AI controlled countries. Also, as Germany, you should really proceed Historically up untill the 1939 invasion of Poland, otherwise things can get really screwy. Look up the history of WWII and use those in game as guides.

Don't worry, I know pretty much of WWII (as a german your whole history class is WW2 and nothing else). I just wanted to try out war and just chez as a target practices and poland declares war after I was finished with them..

If you're looking to learn how to play HoI2, I'd start out with one of the limited scenarios like the Spanish Civil War. That one's always great fun.

I haven't played Crusader Kings, but I've come close to buying it. I was hoping the next Paradox game would be Crusader Kings 2, but it's going to be HoI3.

I think the Paradox game I enjoyed most overall was Victoria. Steepest learning curve of any game I've ever played. After three years I wasn't convinced I really had the hang of it.

Hm I'am having a hard time with HoI. If I play with a major player I feel like I am achiving nothing (uh winning with the SU or USA..what a victory..), and if I play a minor nation it is really hard and sometimes not even possible. Also it is very very slow..
I like building my own empire, slowly but steady. Like In MoO 2, were you start as a nobody and become emporer of the galaxy (this galaxy!) but that seems impossible in HoI. :/
I am also disappointed in most of the units, like brigades.

Roflcore said:
Hm I'am having a hard time with HoI. If I play with a major player I feel like I am achiving nothing (uh winning with the SU or USA..what a victory..), and if I play a minor nation it is really hard and sometimes not even possible. Also it is very very slow..
I like building my own empire, slowly but steady. Like In MoO 2, were you start as a nobody and become emporer of the galaxy (this galaxy!) but that seems impossible in HoI. :/
I am also disappointed in most of the units, like brigades.

I think a good nation for you to play would be Italy. Italy is big enough to allow you wide freedom of action (you can even join the Allies if you play your cards right), but not big enough to be too easy.

For more of a challenge, try Spain (either Nationalist or Republican), Romania, or Hungary.

France or Japan can also be very fun.

It is possible to build huge empires with tiny nations if you know what you're doing. Check out some of the AARs (After Action Reports) over at Paradoxplaza and you'll see how it's done. I read one where a guy did a world conquest with Greece.

Italy is a great country to play around with. A fun challenge is to try and recreate the Roman Empire. Unfortunately with Italy, if you ally with the Germans, your fate is tied to them when they invade the USSR, and AI Germany has some problems with that.

Japan is a great country to try out also. Your conquest of China offers a decent challange in the begining. And there's few things in HOI that are more fun than launching the massive Japanese surprise attacks that captured much of the Pacific in 1941. Japan can also spread deep into Asia if they want to and help the Germans take out the USSR. Go Operation Orient!

LogisticEarth said:
Japan is a great country to try out also. Your conquest of China offers a decent challange in the begining. And there's few things in HOI that are more fun than launching the massive Japanese surprise attacks that captured much of the Pacific in 1941. Japan can also spread deep into Asia if they want to and help the Germans take out the USSR. Go Operation Orient!

Japan is fun because naval combat is fun. It's flawed, but it's fun. And it actually works better than naval combat in most strategy games.

Yeah, I have been playing Paradox games since EU1 in 2000. In fact I even helped with a mod for Victoria. Mostly all of them are very very good. HoI2 is great, but I personaly prefer the EUs. I didn`t like EU3 as much as EU2 at first because it was less historic, less hardcore, but since the In Nomine expansion it has become such a wonderful game. Also there are two major user mods for it that put additional twists on it so now it is one of the best games ever for me.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned SINS yet but yeah, Alpha Centauri, most definitely a favorite of mine :D

If you get the expansion it's not that much greater but it gives you more native life to assault / get assaulted by and a few dozen more techs and secret projects, not to mention a whole slew of new player races (including two alien species.)

I got lots of RTSes, however you're looking for 4xes rather than just RTSes.

Gah. I saw Supreme Ruler 2020. I don't think I even got past the tutorial. I'll give it another shot someday, but gah... (heh, I thought things wouldn't be much more complex than HoI w/ that game...I was soooo wrong)

Gotta agree w/ the HoI2 stuff, tho', and would recommend the Hearts of Iron Anthology box (cute medal!). Nice wiki link, too, btw (heh, never bothered to look if there was one... )

I'd also throw in Star Wars: Rebellion as an 'alternative' Grand Strategy game (tho' it has a tactical component in the form of ship battles).

That WW2: General Commander looks interesting.

Thinking of getting Sins of a Solar Empire, just to see what all the fuzz is all about.

Birthright is one of my favorite strategy games. It incorporates three gameplay modes, grand strategy, real time battles and RPG dungeon crawls.

Back