Gun Control & Civilian Firearm Ownership

Dick_Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find anything in a search. Now then
Is there any solid info from the canon Fallouts (1, 2, NV and maybe Tactics) on the pre-war state of gun control in the US, and if not what's your interpretation? I'm working on a major Fallout P&P overhaul and this sure seems like essential info for the weapon selections and statistics.

Unfortunately, to my knowledge there is very little information on this. We do know that the Bureau of Alcohol, Drugs, Tobacco, Firearms and Lasers issued licenses for the possession of combat armor, and we know that the Wattz 1000 laser pistol was apparently a “civilian model”, but other than that you’re gonna have to go with your gut.

Personally, I’d say any semi-automatic firearms were available to the public, while automatics, gauss and energy weapons were heavily regulated. Keep in mind that urban areas would likely have attempted to restrict access to firearms, if only due to the chaotic and rapidly deteriorating situation that they found themselves in in the mid 2070s.

Last edited:
The Glock 86 Plasma Defender was a Energy Pistol for the civilian market. Keeping with the Retro-Futuristic theme and 50's influence I would not be surprised if Mail Order Heavy Ordnance was still a thing. You used to be able to buy Machine Guns out of Catalogs so it isn't that much of stretch to see somebody buying a Winchester Plasma Rifle out of a Sears Catalog.

Though I think things like Gauss Rifles an Gatling Lasers would be less likely in the hands of the civilian populace more out of cost reasons and not do to regulations.

Not sure if you want to consider 4's lore, but there's a Place in the game called bureau of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, firearms and lasers. So according to 4, there's probably some regulation on laser weapons. (Mostly rifles, I'd assume)

Not sure if you want to consider 4's lore, but there's a Place in the game called bureau of alcohol, drugs, tobacco, firearms and lasers. So according to 4, there's probably some regulation on laser weapons. (Mostly rifles, I'd assume)
The BADTFL is mentioned in the original games as well. I’m honestly surprised that Bethesda got that right.

I just realized I left out the Lasers part of the acronym in my original post...

Hey I was just thinking, why are energy rifles called “rifles” at all. Since they don’t fire projectiles, they wouldn’t have any rifling in the barrels either

Back