GURPs, SIMPLE, or Exodus?

Atomic Postman

Vault Archives Overseer
Hello everyone. I plan on GMing my first ever tabletop campaign in a little while, and I'm going to be running it as Fallout. I've got a very solid outline for the setting and such (which I will be posting at some point) but I'm at wits end trying to pick a system. The only systems I've got any experience in are Stars Without Number and 5e, so anything is going to be a bit of a learning curve. After a lot of searching I've managed to crack down to three potential choices as outlined in the title.

Now, my go to is SIMPLE as it's the most direct translation of Fallout mechanics (outside of the PnP 2.0 which is so literal that it seems you need a computer to calculate combat) in a way that is streamlined and interesting, but it is fairly barebones and incomplete. So, I tend to stray away into the alternatives. GURPS seems extremely interersting and detailed but the complexity is seriously putting me off, I'd rather my game not be excessively crunchy and numbers based, as much as I appreciate the detailed mechanics of GURPs. But I'm open to being sold on it.

Exodus is basically my backup, since it's solid but a seemingly boring knock-off Fallout.

So, thoughts? Anyone with experience on either three systems would be welcome. My aim for the campaign is for it to be brutal but survivable, with things like travel being a serious consideration and relatively simple combat (Stars Without Numbers is my main drive for combat style).

I have something that may interest you. I've been trying to get it known to other roleplayers. Fallout PnP 4.0. I modified the system heavily to accommodate the Fallout feel. This is pretty much my baby. I even made a bestiary and the links to the other stuff are on the google doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1taDyeAZJMWVzaceBcH_mfrsXvShir9UjoLaonNQ8Ipo/edit?usp=sharing

If you don't mind I'll take a look at it for my ongoing Hordes of Vancouver project. However, I might end up having to modify it to fit the entire scenario if I use it. If you want feel free to weigh in on my progress http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/fallout-hordes-of-vancouver.217222/.

Back