hairy deathclaws

Discussion in 'General Fallout Discussion' started by Jabberwok, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Where'd That 6th Toe Come From?

Jun 7, 2008
    Am I the only one who grew up thinking that the Fallout 1 and 2 deathclaws had fur? I'm not talking about the Tactics ones. I know there is some very old art of them looking scaly, but the ones in-game always looked like furry lizards to me.

2. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Nov 26, 2007
    Deathclaws were based on the D&D Tarrasque; they needed a monster, and had the figurine already made for a different project.

HcsSd.jpg
    Deathclaw_Figure.jpg

3. Atomic Postman

Atomic Postman Mojave Express Employee of the Month

Mar 16, 2013
    They lay eggs don't they? The adytum egg nest might have given that away that they weren't mammals

4. Tribalus Maximus

Tribalus Maximus First time out of the vault

Dec 27, 2018
    Big lizards, or small dinosaurs. Reptiles. Don't think they wear fur.

5. Gizmojunk

Gizmojunk Venerable Relic of the Wastes

Nov 26, 2007
    Both the duck-billed platypus and the echidna are egg laying mammals; monotremes.

IIRC the deathclaws were engineered via DNA splicing, as a drop & kill everything biological weapon; with DNA included from Apes, Jackson's Chameleons, and others.

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1
  6. Jabberwok

Jun 7, 2008
    Yeah, I was finally reading up on it. Also saw that one of the earliest concepts was hairy, but that one looks more like the Tactics deathclaws. I won't start nitpicking what traits belong with what classification of animal, because they always just seemed like a spliced together concept, which fit in with all the other mutated monsters. It was just that that old sprite somehow looked like brown fur to me, and my memory edited out a couple of the images from manuals and such.

7. Hardboiled Android

Hardboiled Android Water Chip? Been There, Done That

Jun 7, 2015
    I could've sworn I'd seen old concept art depicting Deathclaws as hairy, though perhaps I'm just conflating Tactics art.

8. Jabberwok

Jun 7, 2008
    No, there is at least one early piece of concept art from before that:

• [Rad] [Rad] x 1