Harsh winter fucks up Swedish transportation

The mornings are unbearable, that's no way to travel. You have to leave hours early to get a place inside the train before you're late, squeezed between the crowds. At least it's so in the Red line where I commute.

And dude, they may be filled, but people have enough room to stand around. In New York people have enough room to read a paper while standing up, while here everyone is cramped shoulder with shoulder, and even worse. These cities have way more subway than São Paulo, at least more than 150km these, while we have barely 63km. The air refrigerator doesn't work in the Red line until you're in the Central Station (when it doesn't matter anymore).

My point is: bus is crap, railways are mostly utter crap, and the subway, the only decent transportation system, is expanded ever so slowly and can't handle the sheer amount of people. I can say they haven't planned ahead. This tiny subway system is an insult to such a large population and you gotta work for the subway to say otherwise.

But the point is what the Summer did to public transportation, and here it was catastrophic.

agree with you, really, the subway is really small, even near lots of our latin american counterparts, but as you said, its the only "decent" transportation we have. The only thing we can do is support the expansion plan. And it may seem small, but have you ever seen the entire expansion plan? The expansion of the green line towards the east is going to reach Cidade Tiradentes probably around 2012. The yellow line is going to be all ready next year, and its going until the Butantã, who is pretty far away from the downtown. Theres yet a project for an Orange Line which goes from São Joaquim in the Blue Line to the Brasilandia District.

It may seems the expansion is small, from what we see, but the actual entire project is pretty big.

I see lots of people complaining about the expansion plan. Because "the green line is the line where the rich people are, why they invest in the rich, instead of investing in the red line, where most of population lives?".
Thats easy to answer: they buy new trains for the green line, because when it reaches Cidades Tiradentes, can you imagine how many trains are they going to need?

And, please, lets not forget: São Paulo is bigger than New York, and has more persons than it. (source:http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiores_cidades_do_mundo) Yes, its dont justificate entirely the fact of the lack of space we have, but its a factor to be dealt with. Plus, lets not forget: the new york subway system is MUCH older than the São Paulo subway. New York has its system for I think (rogue estimate) one century, while the São Paulo's come from the 70's. That change lots of things.

I agree with you on the air refrigerator issue though.

p.s: I commute on the red line on the mornings everyday too :) I live in the street of the Bresser Mooca Station.

Certain global cities have crowded subways, but not cramped like here. You can't say we're closer to London than we are to Bombay when it comes to subway.

And hell, I don't want them to take the subway as far as Cidade Tiradentes. That's not planning things correctly. That's just lumping more people on the same congested line. What they must do is create more options so people get to choose and the Red line becomes less frequent.There must be a line connecting the Southern part of the Blue line and part of the Red line, in the very least. The Green line could expand up to the red line, I don't know. The subway needs more choice points, to split the traffic intelligently, before integrating more people in it.

A cramped subway isn't a good thing, Radiated Heinx. Don't use the argument that it's like that in other cities.

And hell, I don't want them to take the subway as far as Cidade Tiradentes. That's not planning things correctly. That's just lumping more people on the same congested line.

But the line which is going to Cidade Tiradentes is the Green Line, clearly yhe less 'antfarm' line. Thats is a option for people who usually go for Corinthians Itaquera.

A cramped subway isn't a good thing, Radiated Heinx. Don't use the argument that it's like that in other cities.

ok, defenitely its not a good thing. But my point is: its getting better. The subway system, of course. The buses arent, but the subway defintely is. Brazilians really like difamating their country in any way possible, and that kind of pisses me off.
It would be fair to complain if nothing wasnt done about it, but lot is being done around the subway system.

Sicblades said:
I don't understand why you'd take a train anywhere when you could be stuck on the highway for 3 hours in your own car idling.

One, highways are quite fine, but if you need to get to a place near the station and city centre at the same time, traffic can be a bitch and the car a mere nuisance. A train rocks, then.

Two, if the distance is long, a night train might be a more viable option. You get to travel AND a night's sleep.

Three, exhaust fumes.

Siley, our beloved polishian trains notoriously fuck up this winter. Every day is Random Train Day for my ride both to and from work.

I was being sarcastic. A good public transportation system would be wonderful, but the infrastructure in North America is built around the personal vehicle.

So, I had to walk home today, as there were no buses. At 8 pm, at -12 degrees.

Funniest thing, this morning. I was going to the bus stop when I see a bus leaving in the distance. I go "fuckshitcunt. Oh well, I'll take the next one, no biggie". But then as I get a a bit closer, I notice there's a second bus right behind it (on the same bus line), trying to get past. Both buses were only half-full as they left at the same time. Ok, this happens, no biggie. Then as I approach the bus stop, I see a third bus leaving. 20 seconds after two buses just left.

Next bus: 8 minutes away (average waiting time is 2-3 minutes around 9:30 am).

Let murders and rapists go free, if it means the person responsible this (there's ultimately one guy) gets hanged, drawn and quartered. Preferably in the reverse order.

Incompetence should be criminalized

Yeah, and 25 minutes for a subway train. Didn't even bother waiting for a bus this evening. Way too fucking cold.

It's not the 8 minutes that bothered me (despite having a class to go to). It's the fact that 3 buses stuck together in a fucking convoy, like they were afraid of U boat attacks. I bought a $300 bus pass for this?

In other news, some lovely member of the human race punched a person working with clearing the snow in a residential area in some shithole near gothenburg, knocking him out. Because he was dissatisfied with how the clearing of snow on his street was progressing. Workers have apparently been chased by people with shovels as well. Hilarious.

victor said:
Next bus: 8 minutes away (average waiting time is 2-3 minutes around 9:30 am).

typical Stockholmer to complain about having to wait 8 minutes for a bus. I come from Gävle and there most buses used to go every 15-30 minutes.

Yes, but at least you know when they go, so you can plan ahead. As it is now the average waiting time is "it shows up when it does".

victor said:
Yeah, and 25 minutes for a subway train. Didn't even bother waiting for a bus this evening. Way too fucking cold.

It's not the 8 minutes that bothered me (despite having a class to go to). It's the fact that 3 buses stuck together in a fucking convoy, like they were afraid of U boat attacks. I bought a $300 bus pass for this?
They do that here too. I myself become glad if they show up at all, it means the huge line of people to embark WILL effectively embark. But when they do they usually come in threes so I manage to find a place in. But they don't show up at least in 15 minutes of waiting.

Apparently the cops have started organizing bus boardings, because people are fighting over available seats.

victor said:
Apparently the cops have started organizing bus boardings, because people are fighting over available seats.

"The end of the world occurred pretty much as we had predicted. Too many humans, not enough space or resources to go around..."

:wink:

No but seriously, I wish the government of Sweden makes a serious mental note of all this and acts accordingly.

Back