Headphone interference/weird noises

• Thread starter Thread starter Stag
  • Start date Start date
S

Stag

My headphones don't respond well to quiet. At all times, there is a very annoying buzz sound, which seems to correspond to system activity (loading, mouse movement/clicks). I have an Asus P5B mobo, and am using the onboard sound card, which I think is at fault; and I am listening w/ Sennheiser eH150s.

Have you tried the headphones with something other than the computer?

Have you tried another set of headphones (even cheap ear-buds) in the jack?

Stag said:
My headphones don't respond well to quiet. At all times, there is a very annoying buzz sound, which seems to correspond to system activity (loading, mouse movement/clicks). I have an Asus P5B mobo, and am using the onboard sound card, which I think is at fault; and I am listening w/ Sennheiser eH150s.
check if your volume control isn't too high.
silence + high volume = buzz

if that doesn't help, i dunno.
DirtyDreamDesigner said:
At times, when I lower the volume on my speakers they pick up the local radio station.
haha, oho, wow, priceless :P

DDD said:
At times, when I lower the volume on my speakers they pick up the local radio station.

Whoa.

You have radio in Croatia?

Songs. That's awesome.

The only thing in the radio here are psalms and antisemitic, anticommunist, antimasonic, antiliberal, antihomosexual, antieverythingthatisn'twhitemarriedandcatholicwithlotsachildren propaganda.

SuAside said:

if that doesn't help, i dunno.

I hear it even if I turn the volume all the way down to 0.

Humming in onboard audio is normal. You can alleviate the problem by adjusting your master volume as low as you can and bumping up all the specific outputs (wave, MIDI, CD, etc.) to close to their maximum in the Windows mixer. Usually works well enough to go unnoticed.

Also, if you have wireless headphones, there could be interference from something else nearby.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I once saw a pc with a particularly bad humming problem, and I noticed the chassis' grounded shield was barely touching the audio jack. Solved that by bending the shield so it wouldn't touch the jack.

Edit 2: I once saw ferrite filters that would strap around a cable to solve that kind of problems, but never actually tried that for audio. It's the same kind of filter that you can see in VGA monitors, close to the plugs. If nothing works, then I'm out of ideas.

DirtyDreamDesigner said:
Believe it or not, my bass amp picks up a Slovenian radio station when it's turned up all the way.

DirtyDreamDesigner said:
Sure do, every thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sometimes they even play a song too.

Why are there so Croatians on these forums? Or do I just happen to pick up on that and there are really not that many?

Maphusio said:
Why are there so Croatians on these forums? Or do I just happen to pick up on that and there are really not that many?
Maybe there's a tad more of us than average, but it most probably seems that way because Ratty holds a pretty high position here. Too bad he's gone inactive, though.

Stag said:
SuAside said:
I hear it even if I turn the volume all the way down to 0.
Try sitting in a really quiet room, or maybe hire one of those isolation tanks, then see if you can hear what the voices are saying.

DDD said:
My speaker used to pick up police radio until they changed the frequency a few years ago, now they just pick up the radio from Taxis. You'd be surprised at how little I want to hear, at 2 AM, that Mr Bzzzzt in flobagobjob needs a taxi to go to fffft (honestly, it's worse than supermarket PAs).

When I was a kid, bad cases of humming would typically degrade into disembodied faraway voices howling in helpless anguish intermingled with demonic organic-metallic rasping that called for our souls. Mind you, we didn't have proper speakers back then, just some leaves stretched taut over a frame of dry bones. Then the mammoths would come and trample the village, but next Friday, there us kids would be again huddling around a brand new receiver. The memories.

Your memories recall the movie "Constantine"...Hmm...

I think all the cables are in working and separate order.

To reduce buzzing sounds from amplifiers, make sure to use a 3-wire appliance inlet, and good cables. The same goes for interference when connecting your computer to your television. If you have your computer connected to a vcr, the vcr to the television, and the television to a regular cable antenna you might get a distorted picture. This happens because you get some feedback. Disconnect the cable antenna and the picture should go back to normal.

So, what causes the distortion in your headphones might just be feedback as a result from faulty ground connections inside your computer or an old wall socket.

A small side note: I can hear my mouse move on my old computer too. I have chosen to think of it as a feature.

I had this problem before... The faulty headphones had a zinc plug rather than a gold plug. Bought one with a gold plug and the problem went away. (Note this was with my computer only) (Note 2 I am hard of hearing so I have to turn volume on headphones really high)

Back