How do I mod Fallout 1

Sn1p3r187

Carolinian Shaolin Monk
Hi. I'm new here. And I love playing Fallout 1 and 2. I like the first the best for the story mainly. And I wanted to make a new content mod for it. But the deal is I've never made a mod for a game before. I want to make a new content mod for it that includes at least 30 new quests, 10 new locations, and maybe 6 new items or so. One of those locations would be Vault 17 (Mentioned by Lily in Fallout New Vegas), Dayglow, Jackal settlement, and Viper settlement. I have a good name for the mod and maybe making either personal or to be distributed. Can anyone tell me how I can mod Fallout 1? I'm doing this to make the game more worth playing and to take some of the suck out of it (Not that it ever sucked cuz it's a great game some mods just make it better). And also it'll give the player the chance to reach the level cap in game instead of using save editors or running around the Core Region shooting at everything. So can anyone help me?

BTW. I want to make it compatible with Fallout FIXT. And I don't know much about compatibility. A lot of people I know run Fallout FIXT as a mod.

You won't be able to add new locations to Fo1, and based on the expertise you seem to have, you probably won't even be able to add a single quest. Set your goals low, then you might archive them at some point.

You might want to try out Fallout 2. Here you can add new locations and whatever crosses your mind. For this you want to read all of the tutorials here. Start with something simple: Extract the master.dat file and edit some text. Maybe download the BIS mapper and play around a bit with it. Then you can think about doing the next step, which is adding a map to the game.

Also it will be of utmost importance for you to write a design document first, or your mod won't ever get past the "I have a cool idea"-stage.

And by the way, reaching the level cap of 21 in Fallout 1 is rather easy.

Last edited:
You won't be able to add new locations to Fo1, and based on the expertise you seem to have, you probably won't even be able to add a single quest. Set your goals low, then you might archive them at some point.

You might want to try out Fallout 2. Here you can add new locations and whatever crosses your mind. For this you want to read all of the tutorials here. Start with something simple: Extract the master.dat file and edit some text. Maybe download the BIS mapper and play around a bit with it. Then you can think about doing the next step, which is adding a map to the game.

Also it will be of utmost importance for you to write a design document first, or your mod won't ever get past the "I have a cool idea"-stage.

Thanks man! Sounds relatively easy. I can still make space for most of the stuff I said. Vault 17, and Jackal hq, everything except Dayglow and Viper settlement. I already have Fallout 2. And from what you told me and the link you sent me, I could definitely do this. Thanks :)

Thanks man! Sounds relatively easy. I can still make space for most of the stuff I said. Vault 17, and Jackal hq, everything except Dayglow and Viper settlement. I already have Fallout 2. And from what you told me and the link you sent me, I could definitely do this. Thanks :)

Sn1p3r187 why you not search one or two guys that can help you and maybe make a bigger thing.

Lexx is right. Start out small. Really small. The modifications you suggest in your first post are way too ambitious to start with.

Sn1p3r187 why you not search one or two guys that can help you and maybe make a bigger thing.
Well I could. But I don't know many people who play the original Fallout games and are mod makers. The only ones that seem to know are on NMA. And I don't know who would work with me on it. But yeah, I gotta start small.

Be realistic. The chance to find anyone who would contribute real work is near zero. Rule of thumb is: Start small or don't start at all, because else the thing will just fail anyway, doesn't matter how high you think your motivation is in the beginning. Modding Fallout 2 can be complicated, especially for beginners. Additionally, making an rpg is hard work.

As soon as you are able to add a new quest, fully scripted by yourself, you will be ready to start with a bigger thing.

Last edited:
Thanks man. I know I can do it. But I will start of small and learn along as I go. But thanks man. I'll work on it because I'm determined to do so. But I will learn the basics.

Well thanks. But I could use someone for items. I'll do the mapping on my own. I wanted to add a few new weapons and armors in game. If it is possible to add armors. As an idea I wanted to add the Pogohammer from Homestuck in there as a reference to the series.

Well thanks. But I could use someone for items. I'll do the mapping on my own. I wanted to add a few new weapons and armors in game. If it is possible to add armors. As an idea I wanted to add the Pogohammer from Homestuck in there as a reference to the series.

it is possible to make armors but when you will change the apperance of player you must chagne over 1000 frms pictures...

How do I do that? I want to make it possible to armor up your Vault jumpsuit and increase AC class to 13 (lol). And the appearance will change as well. So how will I change over 1000 frmspictures? Sorry for being a newb.

How do I do that? I want to make it possible to armor up your Vault jumpsuit and increase AC class to 13 (lol). And the appearance will change as well. So how will I change over 1000 frmspictures? Sorry for being a newb.

The Critter

have many Animations and you must change every Animation(Picture) that he would appear with the Directions... the new things you change on the Apperance .

when you will armor up like this...

only for change the Standard Power Armor...

in this...

it have take two weeks..

to Do this you need the Fallout 2 Frame Animator you can download here...

http://www.nma-fallout.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=568

Last edited:

The Critter

have many Animations and you must change every Animation(Picture) that he would appear with the Directions... the new things you change on the Apperance .

when you will armor up like this...

only for change the Standard Power Armor...

in this...

it have take two weeks..

to Do this you need the Fallout 2 Frame Animator you can download here...

http://www.nma-fallout.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=568
Sounds good. I can use that picture as a source for my work to do that with. So I can change the animation for it and make it do something comparable to the armored vault suit jumpsuit in the other Fallout games? Awesome. But the pics you showed me. Is that what happened when someone tried to do what I did or is that something completely different?

Oh yeah. Is the reason why I can't mod anything in Fallout is because everything in that game is hardcoded? Then how did stuff like Fallout FIXT get through with development?

With modding experience, lots of research and workarounds. Most things in Fallout 1 are hardcoded, but not all.

But how did the RP team make Fallout FIXT? I know that know that Fallout 2 is more modifiable. But how did they get through to Fallout 1 and did Interplay just not put players mod ability into question?

Is the reason why I can't mod anything in Fallout is because everything in that game is hardcoded? Then how did stuff like Fallout FIXT get through with development?
With modding experience, lots of research and workarounds. Most things in Fallout 1 are hardcoded, but not all.
Hi there, welcome to the forums :)

And yeah, what Lexx said. Fallout is a pain to mod compared to Fallout 2. Personally I'm still a little confused as to exactly why Fallout didn't get modded more (considering it's popular and blah blah), but I think we can assume it boils down to it being pretty hard to mod. Another reason is that there wasn't as much dissemination of knowledge. Most of the materials out there are oriented to Fallout2, so many things I've done I had to figure out on my own, using the available resources as best I could but just winging it from there. Which is partly why my mod is not nearly finished even though I've worked on it for over 4 years :P

But how did the RP team make Fallout FIXT? I know that know that Fallout 2 is more modifiable. But how did they get through to Fallout 1 and did Interplay just not put players mod ability into question?
There is no "RP team" for Fallout1, it's just me. :D That being said, various people have helped me with things; the Credits section for Fixt is very long and the Special Thanks section has about 20 people listed.

I've had some offers to help out, but like Lexx says it rarely works out. Which is a shame, because having a team working on the main aspects of the mod with me would be great.

Anyway yeah, I think for whatever reason, Interplay didn't expect people to mod it or maybe didn't want them to mod it, so things aren't modder-friendly. Whereas with Fallout 2, very major changes can be made just by editing text files, which is modder-friendly for sure.

-

EDIT: Hmm, I have no idea if this post will even help you. Anyway, if you would like help with anything specific, please ask and I'll help you out as best as I can.

Last edited:
Back