How do you convert images to a inventory FRM?

Sn1p3r187

Carolinian Shaolin Monk
I may have asked this before. But I'm trying to add in the M16 in game and I wanna know how I could add in an Inventory FRM to represent the gun. So how would I go about doing this? I have GIMP 2.0 if it helps but is there certain steps I need to follow like cropping or anything to convert the image to an FRM?

Does anyone know which program would be best convert an image jpeg or bmp into an frm? Sorry CPL I'm checking over em.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    73.5 KB · Views: 915
I did this using FRM editor from the download section. But I keep ending up with a rainbow image in inventory frame. Is there any tips to provide or anything I'm doing wrong? I took the image from Fallout Tactics M16A1.

No, I don't use Photoshop. I only use GIMP, Paint.NET, and MS Paint since they don't require additional costs.
Here are the Fallout color palettes for Photoshop (.act) and GIMP (.gpl): https://www.mediafire.com/?l54mmk1jf03q3c5
GIMP couldn't read the .gpl file. Do have a visual guide for GIMP or should I just use photoshop trial version for now? Edit: Nevermind. I'm having a different issue now. I used the BIS mapper and ran it in test mode to see if the M16A1 would work. But my player critter picked it up and it didn't appear in inventory or even in hand. Like it never existed at all. And I ran it on Fallout2.exe and I didn't even find the rifle at all.

Last edited:
There's already a mod that put the Tactics version of the M16 in game. I use it, and created an M16 proto file with that image. I only had to resize the image and save it as an .frm. That would be all you need.

If that doesn't work, I think I still have the m16 FRM, and would be glad to send it your way.

There's already a mod that put the Tactics version of the M16 in game. I use it, and created an M16 proto file with that image. I only had to resize the image and save it as an .frm. That would be all you need.

If that doesn't work, I think I still have the m16 FRM, and would be glad to send it your way.
Sure, send it my way. :grin:

@Sniper187
Take a screenshot of the game, not sure which button to push maybe F12 or just PrintScreen. This spits out a BMP in the fallout 2 folder.

That should be in 256 colors, thus containing the 256 color palette of FO2. But I think it will have some extra colors that are used in the game for color cycling and that wouldnt be good for you.

Another way to do it is use DatBrowser. Load up the Master.dat and have the program look at some of the existing in-game inventory graphics.
...in the DatBrowser folder it has a Cache folder (named Cash actually) where it stores these graphics as 256 color images (its also a good way to extract in-game graphics). And you can grab the palette out of those images too.

In regard to ripping an M-16 from FOT though...
Just a mild note here...
The inventory graphics of FOT are smaller than FO2.
Visually its going to look like the gun is a little bit undersized.

The maximim size of FOT graphics are 132x54.
I dont know what the size is for FO2 but ive seen some graphics as large as 160 and up to 60 in height.

And thats going to be a tough challenge to fix and make the larger size one look good. You're going to need to use some advanced image resizing techniques or even a special program designed for scaling images up without losing image fidelity.

(I made a crude macro/actions set in photoshop that resizes the image up 7 times at like 110% each time, gets it to about 2x size - then I resize it back down again to whatever size is needed after doing some minor corrections. Image results generally purr like a kitten though arent as good as they would be if they were much larger to begin with)

For that reason I suggest you just go on Google Images, look up as many M-16s as you can and download those, then clip them out of the background by hand and resize the result.

Back