How many GECKs there are supposed to be?

0wing

Все умрут, а я волномут
Wiki says each vault possesses two but that's not what we see in any title since Fallout 2. The one in Enclave Oil Rig is purely gamedesign decision so let's stick to the vaults now.

/EDIT Fuggin' hell, move it to General Fallout discussion anybody.
/EDIT2 T.Hanks.

Last edited:
Eh.............. Lore fuck up? Vault 15's was used by shady sands iirc. Vault city used theirs... Shipment mix up resulted in Vault 8 getting the water chips... And vault 13 getting the geck.... I dunno I'm confused just thinking about fo2. Much less the later titles.

Well, vaults in F3 (except V87 but the reasons are unknown)/FNV/F4 has no signs of GECK too...

Shouldn't this be considered longing lore fuck-up? Especially in Commonwealth due to it's settlement management mechanics, shouldn't the GECK work as workbench from the gameplay standpoint?
Holy shit you're right! Damn, if only Bethesda would at least cared and respect the source material, the GECK as a workbench for settlement mechanic? That would solve most of the problems with the settlement feature!

Damn, if only Bethesda would at least cared and respect the source material, the GECK as a workbench for settlement mechanic? That would solve most of the problems with the settlement feature!
Though that should be true to settlements near vaults since half of functionality requiers Vaults' materials and equipment.
Yes, Arryo ending was another lore-breaking thing in FO2. Somewhat.

But that's one of the lesser things to worry about.

Last edited:
Vault 112 and 101 were never meant to be opened, so they never got one.

Also, don't forget that the Fallout Bible states that the government not only didn't account for FEV and other factors, but it also didn't properly test the GECK at all; not to mention that though concerns were raised about how the seeds and genetic material could even be kept fresh for potentially centuries, officials hand-waved them out of the way by essentially saying "It'll work, trust us."

In the words of the Bible itself, "The GECK are a miracle... a miracle that they work." It's entirely possible that all those vaults did get two GECK each; they simply didn't activate or work properly.

It's entirely possible that all those vaults did get two GECK each; they simply didn't activate or work properly.
They at least could throw these two briefcases somewhere as scenery. And the happy ending of Arroyo and Vault City itself says that the GECK is truly a miracle... Somewhat. Nice coincedence and luck indeed. Hell, this shit powers up a Purifier. IDK how and what component does it but still.
From what I see it's just Edgy Writing for the purpose of Edgyness. Rule of Cool conversely. Rule of Edgy.

Last edited:
Holy shit you're right! Damn, if only Bethesda would at least cared and respect the source material, the GECK as a workbench for settlement mechanic? That would solve most of the problems with the settlement feature!
To be entirely fair though, bringing the GECK back again just for settlement building would look less like improving the game world and more like pandering. Kinda like "look guys, it's the GECK! How cool is it that you get to use it?"

Though that should be true to settlements near vaults since half of functionality requiers Vaults' materials and equipment.
Yes, Arryo ending was another lore-breaking thing in FO2. Somewhat.
Eh, they were joined by the rest of the Vault 13 dwellers. It isn't too far fetched to assume they would return to their vault sometime for a while, to retrieve the necessary components to work the GECK.

To be entirely fair though, bringing the GECK back again just for settlement building would look less like improving the game world and more like pandering. Kinda like "look guys, it's the GECK! How cool is it that you get to use it?"
Yeah, I know. I'm just suggesting an idea to be used as best as it could in the worst situation (and by worst situation, I mean the game being developed by Bethesda). Oh well, they already shit upon their own purify water plot from Fallout 3 by making water purifier so easily made out of junks in Fallout 4.

At least settlements near vault would be more diverse and verisimilar.
Eh, I don't think so. The GECK perfectly fits into 'rebuilding' theme which F4 already pandered already, at least it could be explained this way more sublte. And I don't think that the GECK and else what Bethesda and Black Isle Studio already 'pandered' is in the same league. Like at all. FFS vaults have food and clothes replicators and other cool tech shit, how far fetched 'rebuilding' device even though it's just an advanced survival kit would be? Not so much.

Last edited:
Eh.............. Lore fuck up? Vault 15's was used by shady sands iirc. Vault city used theirs... Shipment mix up resulted in Vault 8 getting the water chips... And vault 13 getting the geck.... I dunno I'm confused just thinking about fo2. Much less the later titles.
I like to consider the Black Isle vaults to be more of the result of tragic failures or disasters with the occasional social experiment (most were probably 'control vaults' anyways). For example: according to Van Buren, Vault 70 in Salt Lake City, Utah, had three G.E.C.K.s. I'm guessing a nearby vault only got one.

As a theory, I figured that some vaults were commissioned to be a bit more upgraded. Most vaults would be commissioned by cities with varying amounts of money (and therefore varying quality), while Vault 13 was under some sort of company (or even federal, because the Soviet ambassador got a space in the vault) contract. Hence, its secluded location and its 'Vault of the Future' status, with superior technology and such.

It was never assumed by the game itself that "good" ending for Arroyo is consequence of ONLY getting the GECK.
It took them like 10-20 (if not more) years to establish Arroyo as New Arroyo with combined work of Villagers and Vault 13 Dwellers.

After the Enclave's destruction, the refugees of Arroyo and Vault 13 resettled, building a new community with the aid of the Garden of Eden Creation Kit. Finding themselves hundreds of miles from their Vault, the members of Vault 13 chose to join the villagers in establishing a new community, and their technical expertise, combined with the villagers survival skills, allowed the new settlement to grow and prosper. Two generations of the same bloodline were re-united, and their savior, the Chosen One, became Elder, presiding over the village in the years to come.

Basically
-GECK
-Combined survival skills and technical expertise
-Chosen One as a leader

It is still called "the village" in "years to come" so it wasn't instant miracle.

The main problem for the Arroyo (and for example, Modoc too) was drought.
Probably drought just ended, all survivors went to Arroyo with good leadership and used GECK to fertilize lands for farms and animals, which combined created successful town. :)

Back