How much Van Buren material is still missing?

Why would they know? Genuinely curious.
Hexer works on the mod Fallout: Yesterday that is an attempt to recreate Van Buren as a total conversion mod for Fallout 2. He has access to stuff from the devs not publicly released if I understand it correctly. Like design docs. The same for Hardboiled Wanderer and his project Van Buren on the Unity Engine.

Hexer works on the mod Fallout: Yesterday that is an attempt to recreate Van Buren as a total conversion mod for Fallout 2. He has access to stuff from the devs not publicly released if I understand it correctly. Like design docs. The same for Hardboiled Wanderer and his project Van Buren on the Unity Engine.
Wow, I didn't know they had that much exclusive access to such content. Thanks @The_Proletarian for sharing!

:clap: :ok:

Well that's just something I remember reading. You have to check the respective threads for the projects yourselves.

e: Read under the heading "Design" here. I think the same is true for Fallout: Yesterday.

Despite being unfinished, the production of Van Buren was foregone by an extensive pre-production process and thus most of the design had already been born before its actual implementation. In 2007, over 700 pages of the location design documents were leaked so the fans could finally get a general picture of the game’s story and narrative. We did not stop there, however. We established scarce yet very valuable contact with some of the original designers to help us fill up and resolve conflicting and/or missing information to be able to implement the game as close to the original intent as possible.

Last edited:
@The_Proletarian is right. Are you looking for anything specific that you think is missing?
One that comes to mind is Document 13 of Van Buren. Documents about Fort Abandon and Grand Canyon are also missing, IIRC. (I believe Document 13 is about both of these locations.)
I know that it was given to a "historian" on the Nukapedia and it was posted there for a couple of months before being removed. You can still see parts of it through the Wayback Machine, but it's not easily accessible, and can't be downloaded from anywhere.

Last edited:
One that comes to mind is Document 13 of Van Buren. Documents about Fort Abandon and Grand Canyon are also missing, IIRC. (I believe Document 13 is about both of these locations.)
I know that it was given to a "historian" on the Nukapedia and it was posted there for a couple of months before being removed. You can still see parts of it through the Wayback Machine, but it's not easily accessible, and can't be downloaded from anywhere.
Document number 13 is the Fort Abandon design doc you mention. I don't think that the Grand Canyon document was ever released but we know enough about the area and its purpose to faithfully transfer it to the game.
P.S. There are actually a couple of games out there that borrowed from Van Buren: FNV, F76 and most likely both Horizon games. So you can get your VB fix from them while you wait for fans to finish the masterpiece :-)

Back