How to set up a Fallout 2 mod without much trouble

Lexx

Testament to the ghoul lifespan
Modder
Yeah, I know. We got that topic already often here and there... Still. I played around a little bit right now and figured out a very easy way for setting up a Fallout 2 mod without overwriting original game data. So I thought I might share this with you guys...

It's pretty easy, just follow these steps:

1. Install Fallout 2 into a folder of your choice.

2. Now create the mod folder in your Fallout 2 folder.

3. Put all mod files into this folder as if you would overwrite Fallout 2.

4. You need to have the Fallout2.exe AND fallout2.cfg file in the mod folder.

5. Now change the entries for critter.dat, master.dat, patches, music, etc. in the fallout2.cfg of the mod folder like in the following example:

Code:
music_path1=data\sound\music\
music_path2=..\data\sound\music\

critter_dat=..\critter.dat
critter_patches=data

master_dat=..\master.dat
master_patches=data

6. That's it. If you now use the Fallout2.exe in the mod folder, it takes the critter.dat and master.dat from the previous folder (Fallout 2 installation) and uses all new files from the mod folder. In combination with Sfall you (the mod creator) can also set your own *.dat file and place it in the mod folder and the original Fallout 2 folder stays nice and clean.

fo2modsetup.png

If you still need an example on how this works, you can download the german or english version of my Shattered Destiny 1 mod. I made new setup files for it with the same method. You just need to extract the mod folder into your Fallout 2 folder, then use the new created desktop icon or go into .."\Fallout2\ShatteredDestiny\" and start the game with the Fallout2.exe from the mod. :)

Last edited:
Very good easy and simple. In my opinon it is very usefull way for distribute few versions of the mod. Good work man!

Lexx

Better simply.

fallout2.cfg
[sound]
music_path1=data\sound\music\
music_path2=..\data\sound\music\

[system]
critter_dat=..\critter.dat
critter_patches=data\
master_dat=..\master.dat
master_patches=data\
language=english

2 versions of the mod weighs 60 megabytes

Create a file ShatteredDestiny000.dat with basic files.

ShatteredDestiny001.dat German localization files

ShatteredDestiny002.dat English localization files

Depending on the version you want to download patching dat file

This method I use in fashion f1 to f2 conversion

This is very helpful. I am wondering that nobody did not find out before :shock:

Jordan, for me it wasn't really planned that somebody download both, english and german version. :P

I thought about making patches for german / english version too, but then again.. it would have been more playing around for the players, which I thought is not very good. (keep it as simple as possible)

But I will do something like this with Shattered Destiny 2 later, because the game is now already 80mb big...

Lexx: this should be a STICKY!!!!!

Also, isn't it a little strange that with all the brains available on this forum nobody thought of this before.
I'm a little embarrassed :oops:

jmarsh07 said:
Lexx: this should be a STICKY!!!!!

Also, isn't it a little strange that with all the brains available on this forum nobody thought of this before.
Aah, but someone already did. With a request for it to be stickied no less :lol:

The difference between my way and the one from Jarno Mikkola is, that mine is more easier to handle, at least in my opinion, because of none fixed paths + all mods in the main Fallout 2 folder. ;)

You could even use similar paths (non-fixed) for your normal Fallout 2 installation, then you can move the game from place A to B or C whenever you want or need, etc. without the need of editing the fallout2.cfg all the time. As example, you could move the whole folder on a USB stick and use it on any computer without changing stuff.

Last edited:
Yes, it can be used with Fallout 1 too. But Fallout 1 doesn't have many mods.

I'll make this an option in the installer for the next version of my mod. Pains me having to reinstall the whole shebang every time I make a mistake, now I can just uninstall the files that matter.

Thank you so much! Finally something easy and simple to use as a mod! I've been looking for something like this for a while. Almost every mod I run into is a mess, or wants me to overwrite all the game data.

I am not the modding type so i do not understand what you wrote that well. If you can specify a few questions it would help.

In step 2 you say to put the mod folder into the fallout 2 folder. Do i have to put fallout2.exe into the mod folder?

Another problem is that i have no idea what the fallout2.cfg file is. Do i create it or is it is the system. And where does the fallout2.cfg file go?

Also in step 5 you said to change the critters and other stuff how do i get to the window that allows me to change it.

In the picture you said clean folder what does that mean.

If you can answer these questions it would help

In step 2 you say to put the mod folder into the fallout 2 folder. Do i have to put fallout2.exe into the mod folder?
Yes. You are kind of seting up a new Fallout 2 game, just without master.dat and critter.dat files.

Another problem is that i have no idea what the fallout2.cfg file is. Do i create it or is it is the system. And where does the fallout2.cfg file go?
The default fallout2.cfg is in your normal Fallout 2 folder. If it isn't there, you haven't installed the game correctly. If it is there, copy this file and paste it into your mod folder, then adjust the entries the way I wrote it in the tutorial.

Also in step 5 you said to change the critters and other stuff how do i get to the window that allows me to change it.
Well, it's not much else than a txt file, so you open it with notepad and edit the text.

In the picture you said clean folder what does that mean.
It is vanilla Fallout 2. Without any patches or mods or whatever else, so it's "clean" and like a fresh / newly installed Fallout 2. If you have installed a mod and want to remove it, you now don't have to fiddle around with your Fallout 2 installation, you simply just delete the mod folder and be done with it.

Back