Huge Missed Opportunities in Fallout 4 (mild spoilers)

The thing is though, everything's already in place for this to happen in the base game if they would simply make a patch/DLC for it. The whole reason those raiders have Preston and his gang pinned down in the first place is because they work for Tower Tom and want Mama Murphy. So instead of helping Preston, you help the Raiders get her. Badabing badaboom you're on the gang's good side. Although, in order to make it less easy, maybe Tower Tom could have you run some quests for him before he makes you his co-leader. Raiding a few settlements maybe, or wiping out a rival raider gang, idk. Instead of Sanctuary, your home base would be Beantown Brewery, Tower Tom's HQ. Once you get in good with Tower Tom's gang, he sends you out to help other raiding parties. You know, all those raiding camps scattered all over the place? Maybe he'd send you to some of those camps and you'd get quests from them or something. I'm thinking it'd be like the Powder Gangers in New Vegas, except a lot more fleshed out. Probably one of their main questlines would be helping them take over a major city, like Diamond City, and filling it with raiders.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it should have been. And how I would make it in a mod. Certainly not going to hope for Bethesda doing it properly...

The Forged: A Raider gang that actively takes in recruits from the outside?, I wonder if I'll be able to actually go there and negotiate with them...Nope they attack outsiders on sight. How the fuck are they going to get all these new recruits?

Combat Zone: OMG an Arena, This game is awesome, Maybe I can bet on fights, or fight in the arena myself and become a champion, or maybe I could...Oh wait, you get attacked on sight

East City Downs: Cool a racing track, I wonder if I can bet, I wonder if I can enter Codsworth, wait why is the presenter attacking me?, Why are they all shooting me ....Damnit, another generic combat-fest.

Gunners: Oh, a group of mercenaries?, I wonder if I can hire them to work with me?, I wonder if they'll only attack if they're hired to kill me, I wonder if ...Another generic group of Raiders, just with slightly cooler armor.

Helping the Minutemen: Great I'm going to find my first settlement, I wonder what the unique backstory is here, and what kind of trouble there in ... Oh, it's a generic, bland settlement giving nothing but Radiants.

Yay, I've defeated this Raider Gang. I wonder how my actions will effect the Commonwealth ... 30 days later, respawned.

The List goes on and on.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it should have been. And how I would make it in a mod. Certainly not going to hope for Bethesda doing it properly...

I'm just wondering if something like this COULD be done properly. I mean, you'd need voice actors for the raiders. Thankfully Tower Tom doesn't have any written dialogue or anything so there's no need to worry about him already having a voice actor. I feel like you'd be able to splice dialogue for the protag from existing dialogue.

Ah, yeah, that's one thing I forgot about. The voiced protagonist is really going to be a huge barrier for modders making quest mods isn't it?

I'm just wondering if something like this COULD be done properly. I mean, you'd need voice actors for the raiders. Thankfully Tower Tom doesn't have any written dialogue or anything so there's no need to worry about him already having a voice actor. I feel like you'd be able to splice dialogue for the protag from existing dialogue.

Ah, yeah, that's one thing I forgot about. The voiced protagonist is really going to be a huge barrier for modders making quest mods isn't it?
Yeah, but honestly, I hope that once the Creation Kit is released we'll get some proper mods that remove the player voice and overhauls the dialogue system.
It would require some voice acting for the raiders, though, but that kind of stuff has always been a problem for quest mods. I wouldn't mind some amateur voice acting if it's really necessary.

Oh God yes, I agree with absolutely all of those. Especially the Forgers and the Gunners. I mean, based off dialogue with the Forge leader and how you can convince that new guy to kill the prisoner, you'd think he'd let you join after that and maybe give you a quest or something, but nope, even if you help the leader convince the new guy to be evil, he still attacks you.

I think the worst part about the Combat Zone is that, it wasn't going to be that way originally. People have found in the voice files that you actually were going to be able to fight in the arena, bet on it, etc, just like in Oblivion. It's voiced and everything yet for some reason it isn't in the game. And meanwhile the guy who runs the Combat Zone, the ghoul guy, is still immortal/essential even though he literally serves no purpose once you kill the raiders and get Cait.

I hated how the Gunners were hostile on sight too. When I first heard about them I figured they'd basically be the new Talon Mercs/Regulators in that, depending on your actions, groups of these mercenaries would come and hunt you down. But no, they want to kill you immediately, for no reason, even though they're supposed to just be mercs for hire.

Hell, even East City Downs had actual dialogue for betting on the races. They had all this stuff voiced acted and everything yet for some reason they didn't include it! I guess they're saving it for DLC, but that's bullshit.

Yeah, but honestly, I hope that once the Creation Kit is released we'll get some proper mods that remove the player voice and overhauls the dialogue system.
It would require some voice acting for the raiders, though, but that kind of stuff has always been a problem for quest mods. I wouldn't mind some amateur voice acting if it's really necessary.

Hell, I'd voice act it for free considering it's a mod I really want for the game. After beating the game once I have no desire to play through it again because it would literally be the exact same thing bar who I decide to side with out of the 4 factions. Even if I side with a different faction though, that just means a million more "radiant quests". I feel kinda stupid actually, when I was working with the Railroad I didn't realize placing those MILAs, doing those Safehouse missions, and so forth, were all just stupid radiant quests until I'd done about 5 of each. Like 9/10ths of the quests for these factions are just radiant ones, it's stupid. Having an evil raiding faction where at the very least I'm being paid to kill innocent people rather than generic raider number 25 might add the slightest bit of variety.

Hell, I'd voice act it for free considering it's a mod I really want for the game. After beating the game once I have no desire to play through it again because it would literally be the exact same thing bar who I decide to side with out of the 4 factions. Even if I side with a different faction though, that just means a million more "radiant quests". I feel kinda stupid actually, when I was working with the Railroad I didn't realize placing those MILAs, doing those Safehouse missions, and so forth, were all just stupid radiant quests until I'd done about 5 of each. Like 9/10ths of the quests for these factions are just radiant ones, it's stupid. Having an evil raiding faction where at the very least I'm being paid to kill innocent people rather than generic raider number 25 might add the slightest bit of variety.
Hell, the way I imagine it would open a completely new path for the game and a very different way to play the game/the main quest.
We'll see what will happen. I'm, of course, massively lazy, completely clueless when it comes to mod-making and I have a fulltime job to do. So, eh, maybe someone else can do it :D

Hell, the way I imagine it would open a completely new path for the game and a very different way to play the game/the main quest.
We'll see what will happen. I'm, of course, massively lazy, completely clueless when it comes to mod-making and I have a fulltime job to do. So, eh, maybe someone else can do it :D

I'm sure there's a way to commission mod makers if someone doesn't already have the mind to do it. Hell, I donate to someone to make it. What ideas do you have though that would make it open a completely new path for the game? Outside of raiding settlements rather than saving them and filling your towns with friendly raiders instead of settlers, I'm not sure what else it could bring to the table.

To be fair, no offense to the few who actually did well, but most of the voice acting in Fallout 4 didn't necessarily sound that professional. Okay, the recording was, so the budget was probably splurged on the recording studio, but the voicing itself is... lackluster.

I blame the script and presumably, poor instructions, but I don't think fan voice acting will be any worse than the NPCs in Fallout 4 already are.

Why did Bethesda take out so much of the game in the final release? Wouldn't they expect people pissed off at that?
If there is an answer, I'd have to assume it has to do with their valued creation engine. Many of the things they removed honestly sounds like bugs galore

The Forged: A Raider gang that actively takes in recruits from the outside?, I wonder if I'll be able to actually go there and negotiate with them...Nope they attack outsiders on sight. How the fuck are they going to get all these new recruits?

Combat Zone: OMG an Arena, This game is awesome, Maybe I can bet on fights, or fight in the arena myself and become a champion, or maybe I could...Oh wait, you get attacked on sight

East City Downs: Cool a racing track, I wonder if I can bet, I wonder if I can enter Codsworth, wait why is the presenter attacking me?, Why are they all shooting me ....Damnit, another generic combat-fest.

Gunners: Oh, a group of mercenaries?, I wonder if I can hire them to work with me?, I wonder if they'll only attack if they're hired to kill me, I wonder if ...Another generic group of Raiders, just with slightly cooler armor.

Helping the Minutemen: Great I'm going to find my first settlement, I wonder what the unique backstory is here, and what kind of trouble there in ... Oh, it's a generic, bland settlement giving nothing but Radiants.

Yay, I've defeated this Raider Gang. I wonder how my actions will effect the Commonwealth ... 30 days later, respawned.

The List goes on and on.
Yea this kind of shite is really inexcusable. Especially East City Downs and Combat Zone. I understand if SOME locations are like that - where you get attacked immediately, but EVERY ONE?

At least Fallout 3 had Paradise Falls, a slaver camp where you could do a hell of a lot more than "kill loot return." What a waste. It's exactly why I think Borderlands was a wasted opportunity. All these great locations and atmosphere and it's nothing more than "kill loot return."

At least Fallout 3 had Paradise Falls, a slaver camp where you could do a hell of a lot more than "kill loot return." What a waste. It's exactly why I think Borderlands was a wasted opportunity. All these great locations and atmosphere and it's nothing more than "kill loot return."
On the subject of slavers, I noticed FO4 is very sanitized in comparison to even FO3. FO3 had both slavery and prostitution, yet not a mention in FO4, not even as bullet fodder. I get that the RR calls the Institute slavers, but I'm talking full on Eulogy Jones slaver.

On the subject of slavers, I noticed FO4 is very sanitized in comparison to even FO3. FO3 had both slavery and prostitution, yet not a mention in FO4, not even as bullet fodder. I get that the RR calls the Institute slavers, but I'm talking full on Eulogy Jones slaver.

Like most major AAA games these days, Fallout 4 avoids the portrayal of any possibly controversial subjects in favour of an optimistic, diverse world. It's a waste of opportunity to provide insight and perspective on realistic issues, but at least that shows what side of the fence Bethesda is on - if a game is afraid of taking risks with anything political, it always means the publisher doesn't want to risk negative impacts to their profit. Fallout 4's all about the money so like every other game on the same level, it stays as politically safe as it can.

No prostitution, no slavery, no racism, no sexism, no conflict of real-life ideologies. Fictional racism and conflict of fictional ideologies are fine. If New Vegas had been as well-marketed as Fallout 4, Honest Hearts would never have been greenlit by Bethesda Softworks, as it touches on Mormonism. Now,I get that not using video games as a political platform is commendable (*cough* Call of Duty *cough*) but when you play it safe only because you want more money, that's not commendable.

Fallout 3 is darker and more grim in comparison... and we're talking about the game that has the Mechanist!

Just clarifying that I don't mean you directly, but good for bringing it up.

People keep getting "dark and gritty" mixed up with "can explore mature, complex themes". Since there are several, and I assume other people can pick them out better than me, I won't name them, but there are numerous kid's cartoons that explore deeper themes from real-life than Fallout 4 does. Likewise, like seen in many Call of Duty games, you can be as grimdark and violent as you want and still be unable to explore themes to any significant degree.

The tone and the themes explored are not strictly the same thing. I'm guessing Bethesda doesn't understand this, since Fallout 4 featured both an inconsistent tone and the inability to explore any themes apart from what has already been done in entertainment infinite times - death of family, morality of science, etcetera.

Just clarifying that I don't mean you directly, but good for bringing it up.

People keep getting "dark and gritty" mixed up with "can explore mature, complex themes". Since there are several, and I assume other people can pick them out better than me, I won't name them, but there are numerous kid's cartoons that explore deeper themes from real-life than Fallout 4 does. Likewise, like seen in many Call of Duty games, you can be as grimdark and violent as you want and still be unable to explore themes to any significant degree.

The tone and the themes explored are not strictly the same thing. I'm guessing Bethesda doesn't understand this, since Fallout 4 featured both an inconsistent tone and the inability to explore any themes apart from what has already been done in entertainment infinite times - death of family, morality of science, etcetera.

I think I can guess those cartoons... I've seen kid books do better.

Well, cannibalism isn't all bad, because seriously, we kill each other for religion. In comparison killing someone to survive ain't as bad.

Back