Fallout 2 utility I don't see any changes in-game after using Mapper.

Samhain

First time out of the vault
I'm using the MegaMod now, and find myself hooked hard again. Falling into Fallout.
So I have been messing around with the F2 mapper. I have always wanted to have a "Home base" in game.
I've always used the Raiders/Mercenaries Cave as my base in the standard game.
I thought with the mapper, I might just add a few things, a few containers, lights, decorations, etc.
But Not adding NPC's, editing scripts, or anything too advanced.

But I wanted to test out the mapper first. So I tried editing the Bunker 21 mod's map.
I edited a few invisible walls to make them see-through, added a burning barrel, and moved a few containers.
Deleted some of the grass next to the bunker, that when you enter the map with the Highwayman, end up displaying on-top of your car.

So I made the changes. Saved the map. Copied it into my maps folder. Loaded the game, and went to the Bunker 21 map icon, entered, and none of my changes are there.

What am I missing?

I've checked a lot of tutorials but can't figure it out...and a lot of tutorials are dead/missing...
I understand that there are multiple 'bunker" maps in the folder. a B21.map, NEWB21.map, and tb21.map.
But in the Maps.txt file, the Bunker 21 map calls for B21.map and the other map files, when loaded into Mapper, don't look like the one in game. So I know it's B21.map that I need to edit.
I've checked the Master.dat to see if there is a B21.map in it that could be in conflict. Nope.

Any help would be GREAT.

If you've already been to the Bunker 21, your save has a copy of the old map and the game loads it instead of the modified one in data\maps.

:lalala: Sorry, I has the dumb today... :salute: Thank you! :salute:

So, it begs the question, how can I get my modded map into a saved game? Isn't it a bad idea to just delete a .sav file in your save game folder?

I guess I could mod it, start a new game, get to where I'm about to enter the map.
Save before entering, just to have a save where I can keep loading to check changes.

But once I have it modded the way I want it, move the .sav and .fog into my older save game.

I'm Off to Adventure! :jiggy:

It works perfectly. :D

Any idea how to specify what music a map should have?

-Question 2-
How the hell do I change where in the map the car spawns with you bring the Highwayman into the map with you?

P.p.s - The tutorials and guides available on the net are WOEFULLY lacking...

Last edited:
lol yeah. It took me 2 days to find out that I couldn't see the changes through an existing save game. They don't really specify that in any of the tutorials I could find.

Sorry I don't have any answers for you, I'm in the same boat. Just wanted to tell you I share your pain with the nebulous condition that Fallout 2 modding is in currently. Only guides I can find all assume you at least kind of know what you're doing. I do not and don't even understand the basics of how 20 year old games work. So, difficulty.

You don't have to start a new game, you just don't have to visit the location before. It's still quite common in games of today.

Music is defined in /data/maps.txt file.

The vehicle is in scripts and you have to edit multiple files for it to appear in non-vanilla maps. Can't describe it right now, as I am not at home.

Modding Fo2 is actually pretty simple once you know what you can do and where to do it. In worst case, a simple file search for keywords ("car") should be enough to offer hints.

Well, google won't help you in most cases. Either use the forum search or check that incomplete modding wiki.

It also doesn't hurt to just open a new thread. If the question isn't too stupid, it should attract someone to answer.

No matter what, if you want to start scripting something, you *will* have to use the file search function of any text editor at some point.

Thanks for all the answers and help guys! :D
I've edited Bunker 21 to have a proper garage with an APC, helipad for the Verti-Bird with fuel storage, underground green house and brewery, companion quarters with an armory, and private living quarters with a suspension tank/autodoc.

Things on my to do list...

1. Get the Fuel Storage to *Make* flamethrower fuel for the vertibird. (Could be done with a critter/npc merchant)
2. Get the Green house and Brewery to supply food and beverages. (Same as 1)
3. Get the Suspension tank to be a complete working autodoc. (Ditto)
4. Make a computer in the Bunker capable of playing online gambling. (Got a crap ton of computer, that do nothing right now)

Having trouble getting scripts to show up in the mapper after adding them. I added them to the bottom of Scripts.lst, but they don't appear.

*This is for my own enjoyment. As I know that Bunker 21 was added by Lich, and I have NO intentions of uploading. :D Although, I'd be more than happy to share it with Lich.*

Use the Sfall script editor to add new scripts. This way you prevent making any mistakes on your own. Stuff like typing errors, missing a file, forgetting to add an empty line at the end of the file, etc.. can all cause fuckups.

Use the Sfall script editor to add new scripts. This way you prevent making any mistakes on your own. Stuff like typing errors, missing a file, forgetting to add an empty line at the end of the file, etc.. can all cause fuckups.

Jebus, the Sfall SE is making my head hurt. :) I've got shite-all experience scripting. With the mapper it seemed easy, editing a item/scenery instance to attach a script. But that didn't work.

Eh, no big deal. What I wanted to add with scripts are creature comforts, and there should be none of that in the Wasteland. :D

Back