I want to cry over what Bethesda has turned this franchise into

Ugly Kid

Still Mildly Glowing
I'm very upset that Fallout will forever be remembered by the general public as :MARKETABLE: :BRIGHT COLOURS: :NUKA COLA: :DOG: :RUN DOWN SHANTY TOWN:

This art is what Bethesda fans think when they hear Fallout (No shade to these artists, the art they make is great but I'm making a point):
il_570xN.1594326929_axmd.jpg
592949d20a501c8db1efa4d372a1f99a.jpg
AVvXsEgWmZ18ip_EsKRz2rhbX1_75h6kOOCAi1htClpbqAGG6MFkbLfC95fODJdkjpRFatRJmVl1N62UNe-fniXaosxHGH2uYCjxccyVasHZUGPzn5HYJRZgF_msepwd2F-0H3yVQIlq29VkyP7OUzxpVGediFcqMvCPnGR36VOJsue4rTxV4jeVNsQ=w639-h890
jajki4h7iie81.jpg

It seems like people only view the classic games as lore, New Vegas is just a spinoff only good for cool armour. And according to this video (again no shade intended), they think that the only people who like New Vegas (Classics were maybe implied) are hopping on a bandwagon or something. Tactics and PoS are one in the same and should be condemned to hell.

It's genuinely upsetting to me. In an Instagram comment section I said I disliked FO4 because it's not an RPG. I got ratio'd by someone saying "Go play an RPG then", as if they didn't realize Fallout is an RPG series. I feel like Fallout proper only lives in the heads of people on classic forums like this one.

I'm starting to think a proper Fallout game will never be made again. Bethesda doesn't care about Fallout. Look at how much effort they put into Skyrim, dual wielding, magic, mounts, transformations, etc. In Fallout 4 you can make a settlement and a robot but there isn't much else that's interesting. Starfield even looks promising, proper RPG elements for the first time under Todd Howard and Pete Hines' management.

Am I growing old and weary? Am I too pessimistic? How does anybody feel about this?

I'm starting to think a proper Fallout game will never be made again.
Only now you starting to think this? I stopped thinking it when i first played Fallout 3 back in 2012.

Bethesda isn't interested making RPGs, no matter how many times Todd says Starfield has "hardcore RPG elements". It's gonna be yet another empty, pointless open world filled with radiant quests and a dumb, extremely contrived main quest.

Instead of hoping that a Fallout game that actually respects the license might come out, go play the many fanmade TC mods and the indie games inspired by Fallout like Atom RPG and Underrail.

Instead of hoping that a Fallout game that actually respects the license might come out, go play the many fanmade TC mods and the indie games inspired by Fallout like Atom RPG and Underrail.

I made that decision a year ago when I downloaded FO Nevada then came here for help. I had played ATOM RPG then paid for Trudograd early.

Bethesda should back TC mods or modders should clone SPECIAL using the maths calculations with say the more advanced ATOM type playing areas.

Bethesda will lose interest after Skyrim/Fallout 4 is transported into space. Maybe they will can FO 5 and switch to a Fortnite type of pay your way to play gimmick.

Maybe a META type civ combo where punters play with VR headsets and pimp their online wives (FO 2 did this I was being sarky)

If we're being optimistic, a proper Fallout game will be made in the future, just not by Bethesda. Whether it be total conversion mods like Nevada, Sonora, Resurrection or fan pen and paper campaigns like Atomic Postman crafted, you'll be able to get your fix.

If you're talking about the official future of the series, yes it is unfortunately long dead. Not even the carrion eaters are interested in it's irradiated corpse.

I'm very upset that Fallout will forever be remembered by the general public as :MARKETABLE: :BRIGHT COLOURS: :NUKA COLA: :DOG: :RUN DOWN SHANTY TOWN:

This art is what Bethesda fans think when they hear Fallout (No shade to these artists, the art they make is great but I'm making a point):
AVvXsEgWmZ18ip_EsKRz2rhbX1_75h6kOOCAi1htClpbqAGG6MFkbLfC95fODJdkjpRFatRJmVl1N62UNe-fniXaosxHGH2uYCjxccyVasHZUGPzn5HYJRZgF_msepwd2F-0H3yVQIlq29VkyP7OUzxpVGediFcqMvCPnGR36VOJsue4rTxV4jeVNsQ=w639-h890
jajki4h7iie81.jpg

It seems like people only view the classic games as lore, New Vegas is just a spinoff only good for cool armour. And according to this video (again no shade intended), they think that the only people who like New Vegas (Classics were maybe implied) are hopping on a bandwagon or something. Tactics and PoS are one in the same and should be condemned to hell.

It's genuinely upsetting to me. In an Instagram comment section I said I disliked FO4 because it's not an RPG. I got ratio'd by someone saying "Go play an RPG then", as if they didn't realize Fallout is an RPG series. I feel like Fallout proper only lives in the heads of people on classic forums like this one.

I'm starting to think a proper Fallout game will never be made again. Bethesda doesn't care about Fallout. Look at how much effort they put into Skyrim, dual wielding, magic, mounts, transformations, etc. In Fallout 4 you can make a settlement and a robot but there isn't much else that's interesting. Starfield even looks promising, proper RPG elements for the first time under Todd Howard and Pete Hines' management.

Am I growing old and weary? Am I too pessimistic? How does anybody feel about this?
If you really feel this way you are too obsessed with this shitty franchise.

Then again, you can play anime type games whilst having a tug. The whole internet has turned into Sodom and Gomorrah.

The European version of Fallout never had children in it. The POA, paedohiles of America insisted that children should be included.

Alleged leader Charlton Heston was quoted as saying " If we do not show children being buggered we may run out of future presidents "

If we're being optimistic, a proper Fallout game will be made in the future, just not by Bethesda. Whether it be total conversion mods like Nevada, Sonora, Resurrection or fan pen and paper campaigns like Atomic Postman crafted, you'll be able to get your fix.
Apart from TC mods I've been waiting for 20 years and I see nothing that is a proper Fallout game. ATOM does its own thing. Underrail does its own thing. Age Of Decadence does its own thing. Wasteland does its own thing. There is never going to be a proper Fallout experience outside of TC mods because even if someone is inspired by Fallout they will ultimately do their own thing with it and it won't ever scratch that particular itch I've had for 20 years.

(next part is meant mainly for the OP)
However I've come to terms with the fact that everything I loved as a child is dead and never coming back. No point in being super upset about it anymore. It's time to move on and find new things to get invested in. Underrail ain't Fallout but Underrail is pretty fucking kickass on its own merits (barring deep caverns which can die of cancer of the dick).

I used to be pretty emotionally invested in things too and got really upset when the things I loved got butchered but after seeing everything I love being butchered and seeing that no one else gives a shit (but they expect me to give a shit about their normie shit like Star Wars and LOTR being butchered :S ) and just seeing these companies thrive upon the success of violating what I love it's all turned into a joke. Attachment to intellectual property in a world run by suits rather than artists is just going to lead to being pissed off as everything you love will be violated. If it isn't because of modern popular trends it will be because of ideological bullshit or because it changes hands and whoever now controls it knows jack shit about what makes it good in the first place.

Fallout is dead and has been for a while.
You're never going to get what you want ever again.
Move on and find something new to like and abandon it the moment it starts wearing off the path.

Apart from TC mods I've been waiting for 20 years and I see nothing that is a proper Fallout game. ATOM does its own thing. Underrail does its own thing. Age Of Decadence does its own thing. Wasteland does its own thing. There is never going to be a proper Fallout experience outside of TC mods because even if someone is inspired by Fallout they will ultimately do their own thing with it and it won't ever scratch that particular itch I've had for 20 years.
Yep, Fallout is so unique in it's history, aesthetic, tone, in-depth lore, humor, and gameplay style, that really any attempt to recreate it via a new "spiritual successor" franchise will not scratch that itch. Hell, as much as I respect and love these TC mods for Fallout 2, even that doesn't scratch that itch completely. It’s more like getting high and escaping the reality of where the franchise is. But if that's all we can get, then c'est la vie.

Don't fool yourself into thinking Starfield will be anything more than Skyrim with guns in space, and likewise don't fool yourself into thinking Skyrim was good, it was not. Bethesda puts an equal amount of effort in all of their modern mainline IP games, that being barely any or none at all. Fallout and Elder Scrolls have long been dead, Fallout since 2, Elder Scrolls since Morrowind, arguably Daggerfall. New Vegas was a miracle of circumstance, and won't be repeated.
If you really feel this way OP, I recommend turning your melancholy into creativity. Write about your ideas for the franchise and share/discuss them here on this site, that's what this site is for, no? I always like reading and discussing other's ideas anyway.

Last edited:

jajki4h7iie81.jpg

No, you're not growing old and weary. You're a GLITTERING GEM OF HATRED! ;)

To clarify I've exaggerated a bit. Not actually teary or anything, more so just really bummed out. I do have tons of ideas for Fallout but don't know where to casually drop them. I've also been coming up with my own IP for years though it probably won't turn into anything official. Also don't know a place to drop those ideas either. Don't know how to finish off the this comment -.-.-....

To clarify I've exaggerated a bit. Not actually teary or anything, more so just really bummed out. I do have tons of ideas for Fallout but don't know where to casually drop them. I've also been coming up with my own IP for years though it probably won't turn into anything official. Also don't know a place to drop those ideas either. Don't know how to finish off the this comment -.-.-....
Start thread.
Dump ideas.
Get critique.
Refine ideas.

Doesn't matter if it is for Fallout or for your own project.
Gotta start somewhere. ;)

Seconding Mr. Fish, just vomit them out anywhere and everywhere. Shit, if you want dm me, I'll look at them.

Use those ideas on your own story and before you know it you have Atom RPG or UnderRail.

Post them on a new thread or send them my way. Always happy to discuss Fallout.

ATOM is mentioned in this thread and it has more Fallout vibe in it than any Bethesda's abominations.

People that made that horrendous cartoon skill tree in F4 and thought it was good idea should have their access to games development removed by jury of their peers.

ATOM is mentioned in this thread and it has more Fallout vibe in it than any Bethesda's abominations.

People that made that horrendous cartoon skill tree in F4 and thought it was good idea should have their access to games development removed by jury of their peers.
I think you mean perk tree since Fallout 4 doesn't have skills.:aiee:

Back