IGN Editors Opinion on What Fallout 4 Should be Like

GatheringCircle

First time out of the vault
Apparently Fallout should be more like TES than it already is. I completely disagree with almost everything said in this article. I just wanted other people's opinion on it. And here is a highlight:

"It makes sense that Fallout 3's Capital Wasteland looks the way it does, but Fallout 4 should take place somewhere far from nuclear destruction"

Yah, lets have a Fallout game with no nuclear destruction with plenty of trees and rolling green hills. Add in some cute wildlife too.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1213479p1.html

GatheringCircle said:
"It makes sense that Fallout 3's Capital Wasteland looks the way it does, but Fallout 4 should take place somewhere far from nuclear destruction"

Yah, lets have a Fallout game with no nuclear destruction with plenty of trees and rolling green hills. Add in some cute wildlife too.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1213479p1.html

I could go for that. I love trees and forests. Maybe they can make the next fallout in Vermont to keep the rugged feel and have some lovely forests too.

Yes as long as they do not forget that Fallout takes place in a wasteland trees are fine, but this guy wants it to look all "OMG so pretty look at the flowers and cute animals" kinda thing. I do not feel he has a firm grasp on what Fallout is supposed to be.

We're talking about IGN, for one. Not really the bastion of writers who are capable of understanding their source material. They're clearly Bethesda marks.

Their review of, say, Fallout New Vegas is full of comments from a young lady who clearly did not actually play the game and is reading from notes of other people who didn't spend any time with it, either.

That particular review starts with a comment about "New Vegas only has three endings" - which lets you know right off that they don't a firm grasp of their review material.

And if any article suggests that IGN is a bunch of Bethesda fanboys, this would pretty much be it.

Now, I liked fallout 3, but I don't like what this guy was saying. I don't feel as though he really had a grasp on Fallout.

The worst one was the idea that it should switch to the SKyrim leveling system. Lord no, that stuff's my least favourite part of the mechanics.

I think he needs to realise that Fallout and Skyrim, despite seeming similar on the outside, are very different beasts.

StroHersh said:
Now, I liked fallout 3, but I don't like what this guy was saying. I don't feel as though he really had a grasp on Fallout.

The worst one was the idea that it should switch to the SKyrim leveling system. Lord no, that stuff's my least favourite part of the mechanics.

I think he needs to realise that Fallout and Skyrim, despite seeming similar on the outside, are very different beasts.

I agree. If Fallout changed to a Skyrim leveling style I couldn't play it. I have a feeling that he never played the original games.

Part of what makes Fallout challenging is rationing out the skill points to only what you need (until the DLCs came out of course). The Oblivion level system works for Oblivion mainly because you'd never play it enough to totally max out the character.

Forests? Maybe. If they go with the Seattle WA idea, Fort Lewis would be a good place for a forest (Endor from Star Wars was filmed there). But not vast expanses of them.

TorontRayne said:
StroHersh said:

I agree. If Fallout changed to a Skyrim leveling style I couldn't play it. I have a feeling that he never played the original games.
Actually, it's quite obvious he never played the original games. You read some expressions and see it quite directly.

For example, he says the Fallout series has an identifiable Bethesda style.

Also, he seems to expect your actions to be unnoticed in all the game except by bounty hunters. Makes no sense. He literally says a killing spree shouldn't block you from any place! So, I kill all Camp McCarran but I must be wamly welcomed in Mojave Outpost? Oh, right, they sent bounty hunters, so Boone will anyway help me and allow me to do his special quests, because bounty hunters will do revenge his friends death on my hands.

I hate IGN. I really do. Never, ever, ever listen to their hack journalists spout any shit, because it'll just hurt.

Skyrim's leveling is, at its core, rather basic... a very finite amount of skill points to impressive skill trees that require you to choose your course carefully.
But it really doesn't matter what you choose, because the game's too easy for any perks to have any kind of effect in combat, right?

New Vegas went in this direction, but again, there's little to differentiate between a nuclear wasteland and a desert. Here's hoping Fallout 4 takes place somewhere fresh, even if the world around it isn't.
Oh, so you would prefer a game not in or near the core region, hmmm? Okay, let's look at the track record for games not near or in the core region:
Fallout 3, and Fallout: Brotherhood of shit!

It's true; there's nothing more non-linear in all of gaming than titles like Fallout 3 or Skyrim
nothing more non-linear in all of gaming than titles like Fallout 3 or Skyrim
Fallout 3 or skyrim
Oh god, I hate ign.

Joelzania said:
Oh, so you would prefer a game not in or near the core region, hmmm? Okay, let's look at the track record for games not near or in the core region:
Fallout 3, and Fallout: Brotherhood of shit!

Where the game is set makes no difference at all. It all comes down to the CEO and what he wants out of the game. The current Obsidian could make a game set in Northern Africa and it would be a far better RPG with a sensible story, a good system and plenty of explained lore.

Back