Fallout 1 mod Installing Fallout + Fallout Fixt on Linux using Wine

Gramblosh

Irradiated Dwarf
Installing Fallout + Fallout Fixt
on Linux using Wine

Note
: If you are just into installing Fallout on Wine that's a pretty straight forward thing. Any (basic) version of Fallout should work fine.

Test system:
  • Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr
  • Wine 1.7.44
  • Fallout 2.0.0.14 aka. the GOG version
  • Fixt 0.81alpha (using a custom setup)
1 Requirements

First you need an up-to-date version of Linux or at least not a too ancient one. The examples in this guide are for Ubuntu 14.04 based systems (which includes e.g. the Linux Mint 17 series, Elementary OS and many others), however, this is just important for this first chapter, the way things are handled under Wine should be universal for all Linux systems.

In the Ubuntu repositories from Trusty to Wily you find Wine 1.6.2 (that's the latest stable), you can install it from your package manager (Software Center, Synaptic, etc.). You can also install Wine 1.7 (fairly stable beta versions) from the - more or less - official or officially endorsed Wine PPA using the following commands:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks

Note: These are the only steps that require root access, do not (really never) install or run applications on Wine as root.

The situation on many other Linux distributions might be similar, sources can be found here https://www.winehq.org/download. In this guide I will be using a basic Wine setup as an example, you can also use Play On Linux, however, it is not needed, but the problems that might arise, should be pretty similar.

Further reading on Wine:

2 Creating a Wineprefix

A wineprefix is like a Windows system setup (not like an isolated system), it can be either 32 or 64 bit and can contain different Windows components. It is not required but it is often a good idea to give different programs a different wineprefix. To create a wineprefix you open the terminal and enter for example
env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/fallout" winecfg
On a 64 bit system this will create a 64 bit wineprefix called fallout in your home directory ($HOME or ~). You can adjust that to your liking but I will keep this throughout this guide as an example. After the creation of the wineprefix the Wine Configuration dialog will open, for now leave it the way it is, but you should remember the env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/fallout" part because it is needed to run an application in that wineprefix.

During installation you will get prompted to install Wine Gecko and Wine Mono, you can cancel that, they are not needed to run Fallout.

3 Installing Fallout

To install an application on wine you can run
env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/fallout" wine uninstaller
The name is a bit confusing, as it opens the Add/Remove Programs dialog. Click "Install...".
If you have a download version and saved it to your Downloads folder, just open the download here, if you have it in another place (e.g. outside your home directory), you can navigate to it through drive Z: (that is the same as / on Linux). If you switched from Windows to Linux, the dialog design should be familiar.

For the sake of easy, I chose to install Fallout to C:\games\fallout (that is $HOME/fallout/drive_c/games/fallout on Linux), you should be able to run it using
env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/fallout" wine start /Unix $HOME/fallout/drive_c/games/fallout/falloutw.exe

4 Installing Fallout Fixt

Fixt is installed in exactly the same way, so open the uninstaller again and chose "Install...", to make the installer show in the file dialog, change "Files of type" to "Programs (*.exe)". In the installer simply choose what you like.

4.1 Enabling the Hi-Res Patch

Now you can adjust screen resolution to your liking using
env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/fallout" wine start /Unix "$HOME/fallout/drive_c/games/fallout/Fallout Fixt/f1_res_Config.exe"
Also make sure that you have DirectX 9 Graphics enabled, if it is not enabled and you apply the next step (4.2) the game will crash. If you want to use ALT+TAB you can enable Windowed Mode, in Fullscreen Mode ALT+TAB wasn't working at all in my tests.

Now you can start Fallout Fixt using
env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/fallout" wine start /Unix "$HOME/fallout/drive_c/games/fallout/Fallout Fixt/FALLOUTW.exe"
You should also have a launcher in your start menu to launch Fallout as well as Fallout Fixt.

4.2 Enabling Sfall

You might notice that Fallout still does not use Sfall, to enable Sfall, start
env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/fallout" winecfg
and open the libraries tab, add ddraw (it's not in the drop-down, so simple type it and click add, and you are sure you want to do that).
Instead of changing the Wine Configuration you can also add a DLL overwrite during game launch
env WINEPREFIX="$HOME/fallout" WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ddraw.dll=n" wine start /Unix "$HOME/fallout/drive_c/games/fallout/Fallout Fixt/FALLOUTW.exe"
In this case you have to apply the change also to the launcher in $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine to make it work correctly.

4.3 Enabling Custom Settings

The installer has one problem, the custom settings (GVARs) are not saved to the VAULT13.GAM, the file is located in /Fallout Fixt/DATA/DATA in your fallout game directory, if you chose the same directory I chose, that is $HOME/fallout/drive_c/Games/Fallout/Fallout Fixt/DATA/DATA. The values you need can be found in the install.log (/Fallout Fixt/DATA/FIXT). Simply open both files in a text editor, alter the values manually and you are done. To my knowledge that is all.

If you have a Windows installation of Fallout + Fixt and want the same settings on Linux you can just copy and paste that one.

Okay, this is it, now you can enjoy Fallout with Fallout Fixt on Linux:clap:

5 Uninstalling

I cannot image why you would want to do that, but uninstalling is easy: delete the wineprefix. You might also want to remove the entries in $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine.

6 Known Issues

• Fallout sometimes crashes on exit (black screen), if that happens switch to a virtual console (CTRL+ALT+F1), login and enter pkill FALLOUT, then switch back to the graphical interface with ALT+F7.
  • ALT+TAB does not work.
7 Famous Last Words

Everything in this guide was tested multiple times. I also did a complete play-through using Fallout Fixt 6.7.3 and roughly half a play-through using Fallout Fixt 0.81. However, I cannot guarantee that on your Linux system something is not working, I also cannot guarantee that somewhere deep inside the Wasteland is a Wine-related bug. The game is large and there are different versions, Wine is a beast and Linux systems can differ.

Please, take this as an invitation to share your experience and it would be great if you would include a) the Wine version you are using, b) the Linux distribution you have installed and c) the version of Fallout and Fixt you are using.

Last edited:
"Dumm cum-poo-terz."
- The Chosen One

lol I don't remember this dialog, which is it from?

My favorite from Fallout 2 was dialogs that broke the fourth wall referencing playing the game, like the one where the Chosen One says something like, "What do I *want*? Oh I don't know, usually I just go through people's houses, going through their shelves... Oh, like those over there!"

@Gramblosh Thank you; Sticky'd. One question I have that maybe I missed the explanation for: Why do you install DirectX? Fixt includes the files for all DirectX versions you have selected in that list. In theory you shouldn't need any of those at all. Do the DirectX installers within the Fixt installer not work properly? EDIT: Oh I don't include 2.6, maybe I should include that one. I definitely have the files for 3.1, 4.2, and 4.3.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Dumm cum-poo-terz."
- The Chosen One

"You got it, Fren!"
- Sulik

Why do you install DirectX? Fixt includes the files for all DirectX versions you have selected in that list. In theory you shouldn't need any of those at all. Do the DirectX installers within the Fixt installer not work properly? EDIT: Oh I don't include 2.6, maybe I should include that one. I definitely have the files for 3.1, 4.2, and 4.3.

I have tried without installing DX9 and it didn't work, so I have played with it a bit. Installing DX9 under Wine is no problem, you need to have it for some programs anyway when you are gaming on Wine (so usually the installer is cached) and selecting them in Winetricks is just a click or four in this case and it also sets an overwrite for these in the Wine Configuration, so it uses the native and not the built-in files.

(I looked at FO2 + RP and that had 3.0, 3.1, 4.2, 4.3 in the game folder, 3.0 wasn't in Winetricks, so 2.6 was the first shot. Lucky one.)

Last edited:
I could include the dxwebsetup.exe which would download all files the player has up to DirectX 9.0c that are outdated/missing. What about that?

Personally, I think that everybody who is playing DX9 games should will have the DX9 June2010 Redistributable installed (or somewhere on disk). That is also what Winetricks installs, when you chose d3dx9. However, making it an optional component could be a good service. For Wine, I would personally go through Winetricks, cause after a while it has most of these things cache and there is no need to download the same component over and over again. I am a bit old-fashioned, I hate to waste traffic :D

Okay, thank you. You can actually find dxwebsetup.exe in the {Fallout Fixt}\DATA\FIXT folder born from an intention to include it as an optional check-box at the end, I just hadn't bothered implementing it into the installer yet. :roll:

I did another test and to my surprise it worked without installing DirectX 9 components in Winetricks this time. Have to take a closer look into it...

AFAIK DX9 components are only required if you're using DX9 mode in sfall or hi-res.
Well, both is part of Fixt, so you need DX9 to run Fallout + Fixt. If you try to run the game in Direct Draw 7 mode with Sfall, it results in a blackscreen.

Changes:
- Removed the DX9 part, Fixt should have all there is needed and there is no need to do it in Winetricks.
- added explanation for DX9

Last edited:
Hello,
I get this message if I try to install Fallout on my Ubuntu system:
Code:
Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC:~$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="$HOME/fallout" wine uninstaller 
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} 
fixme:ole:RemUnknown_QueryInterface No interface for iid {00000019-0000-0000-c000-000000000046} 
fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 00000036 
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ef38,0x00000000), stub! 
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8 
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8 ^C
fixme:console:CONSOLE_DefaultHandler Terminating process 26 on event 0 
Presario-CQ61-Notebook-PC:~$ fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8

For more informations please look at my thread: (for some reason, I can't post links)
Hope you can help me, I would love playing Fallout on my Ubuntu, I don't like Windows anymore. :smile:

Last edited:
Moin, I don't know this particular message from a Fallout installation. Looks like Wine has problems with the color depth, you could try
http://wiki.winehq.org/256ColorMode

In case of misery, you can still install Fallout (and Fixt) on Windows and copy the entire thing to Linux (you might have to install the DX9 components separately using Winetricks).

As for the performance, that is pretty good on Wine, I don't see a difference to Windows, only Fallout 2 (with RP) takes a bit longer to load. But I have a fairly good GPU (at least for the classic Fallouts).

EDIT: as far as I understood you have exactly the same setup I used, can you please let us know which version of Fallout you tried to install? That could be valuable information for others.

Last edited:
I'm using a Fallout 1.1 CD.
Now I copied the Data from the Windows Installation, now fallout(fixed) runs again, but still only in small Windows in 8Bit. Otherwise it gets very slow again.
I've got the following DirectX installed: d3dx9_26, d3dx9_31, d3dx9_42, d3dx9_43. Should I use any other?

So you have an older version, that could make a difference, you could look at WineHQ
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=43
maybe you have luck there, they recommend Wine 1.6.

You could also try to install the full DX9 package.

I have it running on an i3 3220 with 8 GB of RAM and an HD 7770 (FGLRX 15.200 driver) and it run great. I once had a bit of stuttering in The Hub but that was gone after a restart.

Back