Is A New Bioshock Game Even Necessary?

Grab Nightdive's Enhanced Edition off of Steam. It fixes just about every problem you mention here - smoothens out pretty much all of the controls to make movement, inventory switching, and gunplay feel nice, and makes it feel like you're playing an actual game instead of an operating system. Protip: Hit 'E' the moment you get into the game. You'll never need to go back.

Once you're passed the gameplay limitations of the 90's you realize just how great of a game System Shock 1 truly is, not to mention that but System Shock 1 was leaps and bounds forward in gaming technology when it first came out... so much so that it even impressed John Carmack (the guy behind making pretty much all of the OG ID Software games run as smooth as they do).
Thanks for the recomendation, but I was talking about Bioshock 1 actually. Somehow I had a easier time enjoying the gameplay of System Shock 1 than Bioshock 1 (I bought it on GoG, so I might already own the enhanced edition).

One of the biggest reasons why I dropped my playthrough on System Shock 1 wasn't even due to the gameplay, but by the absolote horrible looped soundtrack. It doesn't even fit the atmosphere, it feels like my ears will start bleeding out after a while, likely it is just another trick by Shidan to make you lose your mind...

Talking about recomendations, here is a hidden gem:

Somehow a lot of people slept on this game, even tho it was one of the best immersive sims I ever played. I'm not a big fan of rogue-likes but somehow this was the exception to the rule. The amount of variety that goes into the game is fantastic, forcing you to get creative and try to get the most out of some situations.

Even them, the game isn't that punishing at all, while it is permadeath, it usually means just a minor setback (especialy considering how you are always getting more permanent upgrades), and each death means a totally new character with a complete set of new (game changing) traits alongside another toolset. So most of the time I didn't even felt frustrated by dying, but actually curious to see what my next character would be.

Also it was voiced by Kevan Brighting aka the narrator from Stanley Parable!

Hey I will definitely check that out, I love roguelikes. Thanks for the recommendation man.

Thanks for the recomendation, but I was talking about Bioshock 1 actually. Somehow I had a easier time enjoying the gameplay of System Shock 1 than Bioshock 1 (I bought it on GoG, so I might already own the enhanced edition).

One of the biggest reasons why I dropped my playthrough on System Shock 1 wasn't even due to the gameplay, but by the absolote horrible looped soundtrack. It doesn't even fit the atmosphere, it feels like my ears will start bleeding out after a while, likely it is just another trick by Shidan to make you lose your mind...

Somehow a lot of people slept on this game, even tho it was one of the best immersive sims I ever played. I'm not a big fan of rogue-likes but somehow this was the exception to the rule. The amount of variety that goes into the game is fantastic, forcing you to get creative and try to get the most out of some situations.

Even them, the game isn't that punishing at all, while it is permadeath, it usually means just a minor setback (especialy considering how you are always getting more permanent upgrades), and each death means a totally new character with a complete set of new (game changing) traits alongside another toolset. So most of the time I didn't even felt frustrated by dying, but actually curious to see what my next character would be.

Also it was voiced by Kevan Brighting aka the narrator from Stanley Parable!
If there is a new bioshock, I hope it had some gameplay variety at least(don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Infinite dynamic gameplay, but at the same time, I really enjoyed a more stealthy playstyle of 2nd DLC. Honestly, Splinter Cell- like game in Bioshock universe would be extremely interesting(imagine having a kit of stealth plasmids on top of maybe some dark levels where you gonna use night vision scope to take out enemies.)
I vividly remember putting music to 0 when playing system shock. God it was bad!

Last edited:
Back