Is anything actually happening with the Fallout Movie?

JadeUK

First time out of the vault
Sorry if this is the wrong area, I know people can be fussy about things like that.

But I remember there was alot of talk after Fallout 3 came out about a possible film. The last I heard was they had a director, producer & a script but no one to put in the money :?

How true that is I don't know, that was just a kind of agreed rumor that was going round online.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Uwe Boll supposed to have the rights for it? I would like to see a fallout film but not by that guy, he would shit all over canon history.

I think Uwe Boll is a pretty cool guy.
Eh kills movies and doesn't afraid of LowTax.

Uwe Boll is just too full of himself.
But as for a Fallout Film, well, I'm not to sure. I would love to see super-mutants of the big screen as the whole broken down world with dark humour. But for now, Mad Max is the closest we're gonna get.

A Fallout movie would probably suck pretty bad. It would be awesome if it didn't suck though.

How do you turn any epic fantasy story into a movie? Particularly when it's a game where you create your own character, takes 8-60+ hours to tell the story and has such a long history to build up before before you get to the meat of it?
Why, you need a crazed fan to convince a major film producer to give them enough money to make three, 3-5 hour films. That crazed fan needs to know what to leave out and come up with a linear story.

Then they have to create a character that everybody can care enough about to see wander this linear path when the viewers could be exploring the wastes as your own character.

There's just so much more a book or video game can contain than any movie.
Good movies often have expansive worlds and histories made for them that you just never see.
I think it's better to try to turn movies with deep histories and expansive worlds into video games so we can explore them freely.
As long as they're canon. Then again, when you go back to a story teller and ask them to expand on their one great work because you're going to give them money, you end up with Star Wars Episode 1-3, or Harry Potter 5-7(Haven't read them, heard they were good, but missing the magic of the first ones.)

The focus should be making the game more immersive.

People complain about the engine for Fallout 3 and think it should just go back to isometric turn based, and I wouldn't be opposed to that.
But when I first came out of the vault and looked out over the wasteland from over the shoulder of my character, I got the chills. You don't get that kind of 'cinematography' from a top down view and cut scenes aren't as effective if they differ too much from the gameplay.

For a movie to be successful it has to appeal to a broad audience. They can't take the risk making it too smart because there's millions of dollars at stake. You can make it so the die hard fans will love it, or you can make it so the average person who's looking for something to do on a Friday night will spill $15 on. Because that's a larger demographic.
There's a billion things wrong with the movie industry that make films way more expensive to produce than they should be. If that were different, we'd see a lot more good movies by people who care to make them right.
But right now, that only happens when really dedicated people are willing to work for pennies(If even).

I think the only way you could really do a fallout movie is if you took a historical event or character from the fallout universe and made the story about that.
But the story would have to be linked closely enough with the rest of fallout that the movie would explain the history of this world to people who hadn't played the fallout games.
So maybe it wouldn't even take place in the wasteland. Maybe it would be a story about the state of the world leading up to the nukes, the construction of the vaults. Maybe the conspiracy behind the vaults.
For fallout fans it would be a visual history of events they've heard about from the games. It's not like finding out about the vault experiments would be a surprise to them, they know how it's going to turn out.
For newcomers, if it's a good enough story, the discovery of the vault experiments will be just as much of a twist as it was for us when we first hacked the correct terminals. But geared towards a group that might not be willing to go back and play the original games.

Otherwise, why even make a movie? The games are great.

The key would be to explore a character that is NOT the player. There are a lot of background stories and events in the Fallout universe that are very entertaining to research in the games and your character has jack shit to do with how they turn out. Just make a great film using the Fallout theme and some assets.

I could see a Firefly type TV series doing well in the Fallout universe. Follow a band of plucky traders as they scratch out a living on the fringes of emerging society.

As many great epics are made for the silver screen, i.e. Star Wars, Lord Of the Rings, ect., the very existence of these films does justice to the escence that make them what they are, popular films.

It is the fans that make a franchise great and not whether the movie is perfect enough to win an academy award (although that would help :D ). But, for the purpose of solely making something that the fans and them only can appreciate, a movie should be made, and if so not be scrutinized over the simple fact of its existence, good or bad.

There was a script treatment for the film floating around on the 'net for a few years. Probably still here somewhere, and I've got a copy on my PC back home (temporarily displaced thanks to hurricane Isaac). It was roughly based on the main storyline of F1.

Not bad, but a bit disappointing.

Personally I agree that a Fallout-based film COULD be awesome, but would most likely end up watered-down to pander to a wider audience. Also, I agree that any such film should focus on someone other than any major character in any of the games. This is why most of my own FO-based fiction takes place in the Southeast. No pre-existing canon to foul up, plenty of creative wriggle room.

I would love a film based on Harold's adventures. But, as said in a previous post, a film about any main character would probably fuck canon to appeal to a larger audience.

As Gurkog said, the key would be to explore a character who isn't associated with multiple fates (at least, at the time when you set the movie).

That's not the only way to go (See: Fallout: Nuka Break), but it's the way that this one company is going with their Fallout Movie.

You've probably heard of Fallout: Lanius before, but if not here's a link to the Indiegogo site.

http://www.indiegogo.com/FalloutLaniusFanFilm

They've teamed up with Weta workshops and are even hiring the guy who did the voice for Legate Lanius in the game.

It looks like it's going to get funded, but since it's not on Kickstarter I won't personally be funding it; a failed funding on Indiegogo doesn't refund your money.

Back