Just plain old boring

Got out of the Vault and walked into a firefight. Took cover and waited for it to end. The gunfire died down and the survivors casually walked over to a graveyard, paying zero attention to an armed guy in a bright, blue jumpsuit.

'Hi'. That's as far as the conversation goes. After stepping out into a wasteland and witnessing a literal massacre, my character has no questions to ask.

I gave up shortly after being tasked to clear out a town from raiders with zero incentive or explanation. The writing in this game is even more boring than I imagined.

If the Corvega raiders were causing trouble for more than that one squat in the middle of nowhere, that would be more incentive to clean the place out. As it stands, when I last ended my game, which was after sniping several of them off the walkways of that factory, I had to wonder what I was doing there. Especially as the main quest has given me no substantive motivation to pursue it.I wonder, why does Bethesda write plots that grind against the draw of the games they make?

Got out of the Vault and walked into a firefight. Took cover and waited for it to end. The gunfire died down and the survivors casually walked over to a graveyard, paying zero attention to an armed guy in a bright, blue jumpsuit.

'Hi'. That's as far as the conversation goes. After stepping out into a wasteland and witnessing a literal massacre, my character has no questions to ask.

I gave up shortly after being tasked to clear out a town from raiders with zero incentive or explanation. The writing in this game is even more boring than I imagined.

Well, you did bring this upon yourself by providing bethesda a paycheck even after knowing and doing threads about fallout 3 experience. The only reasonable explanation here, is that you are a masochist.

Mass-audience game development (as opposed to niche audience) seems to share a lot in common with mass food preparation ~as opposed to local and/or home cooking.

What you get in the AAA world is highly decorated trendy fare ~that is typically spiced like stuff from the food court at a shopping mall. :yuck:

Around here [Southern Louisiana ~presently] we call it 'tourist food'.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that a lot of people operate on the algorithm "see something, kill something" when playing modern AAA video games. The model for playing a Bethesda game is apparently supposed to be-

1) Oh hey, a cave/building/whatever, I wonder what's in there.
2) Kill everything that stands between you and finding out what's in there.
3) Repeat ad nauseum.

You don't even have to clear out the factory. You only have to kill the boss. Then you'll get the quest marked as done.

Yeah, I have to admit I'm getting pretty bored of Fallout 4. There's no motivation for me to keep playing, everything feels like more of a chore. Plus, there's almost no freedom of choice anymore. You can't even be bad because all the "good" characters are invincible and get up 5 seconds after gunning them down. I remember being able to wipe out entire towns in the other games if I wanted to. You're playing the character that Bethesda made for you, that's it, the only difference is name and appearance. This has to do largely with the voiced protagonist. It's pretty sad considering I played Fallout 3 until my disc burnt out and I had to get the GotY edition haha. I feel cheated in a way.

EDIT: Oh, and that whole settlement system is bullshit... From the trailers I thought I was going to be building my own house or something and I was like, "okay, cool". But no, you're expected to take care of like dozens of people at once, building water purifiers and crops and shit... Come on yo, this isn't Farmville lol

Last edited:
Is it fair to say that Fallout 4 is like Old World Blues (which I'm currently playing) except without the humor and dark rich backstory?

Is it fair to say that Fallout 4 is like Old World Blues (which I'm currently playing) except without the humor and dark rich backstory?
Not exactly. In Old World Blues, New Vegas to be exact, the dialogue choices you made actually felt like they had an impact on the environment and story. In Fallout 4, you're playing a completely scripted character (due to the voice-over) who only has a limited amount of lines to say, most of which being complex yeses or noes. In fact the, 4 feels entirely scripted to me. For example, the whole thing where right after the Vault-Tech representative leaves, the nuclear bombings begin. Coincidence much?

Not exactly. In Old World Blues, New Vegas to be exact, the dialogue choices you made actually felt like they had an impact on the environment and story. In Fallout 4, you're playing a completely scripted character (due to the voice-over) who only has a limited amount of lines to say, most of which being complex yeses or noes. In fact the, 4 feels entirely scripted to me. For example, the whole thing where right after the Vault-Tech representative leaves, the nuclear bombings begin. Coincidence much?

It's called suspension of belief, or game (non)logic.

It's called suspension of belief, or game (non)logic.
Let's just go with game logic, haha.

The amount of character reaction to stuff is just pitiful. How they refuse to take notes from previous games boggles my mind.

The amount of character reaction to stuff is just pitiful. How they refuse to take notes from previous games boggles my mind.
They didn't refuse to take notes, they simply ignored the entire process. They knew that if they hyped the shit out of it, which they certainly did, people would gobble it up and fall for the trap. lol It's pretty sad when you start noticing reused assets constantly.

I really want to meet the team and ask them questions.

1. Is this really what you wanted?
2. Why did you do this?
3. Are you fans of the first 2 Fallout games? What did you think about New Vegas?
4. What worked perfectly in Fallout 3, and what needed work, in your opinions?

....etc.

I really want to meet the team and ask them questions.

1. Is this really what you wanted?
2. Why did you do this?
3. Are you fans of the first 2 Fallout games? What did you think about New Vegas?
4. What worked perfectly in Fallout 3, and what needed work, in your opinions?

....etc.

The only response... no comment.

I meant mostly with fetch quests galore, enemies spawning all over the place, repetitive loot and random bosses for the sake of random bosses.

I meant mostly with fetch quests galore, enemies spawning all over the place, repetitive loot and random bosses for the sake of random bosses.
Yeah, basically, lol. When the Mirelurk Queen showed up in that one quest I was like, "what?", there were no musical cues whatsoever, no build-up, it was just there. haha

Back