Kenshi - sandbox squad based RPG

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin

I've been following Kenshi since the beginning all those years ago. But since it's now nearing completion I thought it was time for a thread here. It's a post-apoc RPG after all.

I haven't played it yet (waiting for version 1.0) but it's in early access on Steam. Maybe one of you have tried it?

Even though it's not a story driven RPG it might be alright if you like to waste your time playing around in a sandbox. The full map will be 870 sq/km which is a lot bigger than the puny Fallout 4 at 14.2 sq/km.

The setting appears to be sort of like the setting of Steel Dawn with Patrick Swayze since it's described as "sword-punk". Anyway you can read all about the features here.

I saw this earlier. The coolest features I saw was getting your arm cut off and still living. Worth looking into.

Heard about this game a couple of years ago, at first was pretty excited about it but then stopped following it, because while I like the concept and most the game play mechanics, I don't like the setting, which, I think, is rubbish, and I also don't like the fact that the developers have deliberately avoided adding anything related to sex, even though they have slavery, even cannibalism in the game. People were much more open minded back in '98. Well, anyway, not my cup of tea, unless someone comes up with a mod which adds at least Fallout 2 level of adult material, which is the bare minimum for me, anything below that is for kids. By the way, it's really difficult for me to call this game an "RPG", because your interactions with NPCs are very basic.

I played this game quite a lot during the Beta. It's strongest points are that it really is an extremely open-ended kind of sandbox RPG, sort of like Mount and Blade but with even less strings attached. Although I feel like the roleplaying part of it can be somewhat weak due to how limited your interactions with most NPCs are, there are very few quest givers and most of the progression is done solely through on the players own.

I'm kinda of biased towards loving the thing though given how much of a hardcore indie gem it is. It has been in development for literally over a decade and I was already exited for it years ago back when all there was to it was a little tech demo with a character walking across a massive empty desert and a blog where the dev would trash big mainstream video game companies due to how they were dumbing video games down. It's really a beautiful thing seeing this work of love finally getting it's final release after all these years.

Last edited:
This thread deserves a bump...I wish Fallout allowed this grim freedom...there's a level of hardcore about Kenshi that Bethesda would never have the courage to attempt.

I know man. Yet Kenshi will sell two copies and Beth games sell like hotcakes filled with cannabis.

I know man. Yet Kenshi will sell two copies and Beth games sell like hotcakes filled with cannabis.
Not to worry, the Codex are pretty much loving this so more like 20 copies :razz:.

This is just sad that the best post-apocalyptic goodies in recent time just came out twice (this and ATOM RPG) and it seemed like NMA didn't seem to really care.

Back