Resource icon

Fallout 2 mod Last Hope mod v1.086

Jesus christ.. we had a good tutorial on setting up wine in the stickies, but instead of keeping it, some idiot deleted it and left the shitty MacOS tutorial instead, that damn macos tutorial lacking vital information for running on wine anyways.. it was just a cheers up to some newb that visited the ass and shit he did knew... who the fuck did this!!!!!!!!

sorry Graylandtagger, but it appears a proper tutorial i wanted to direct you to, was deleted from the stickies. I have no idea why it doesn't work for you, but that missing tutorial had a couple of extra tips that i don't remember exactly on how to perform them or what they did, however going by that usually fixed everyones problems...
Unfortuneatly some idiot removed this tutorial, and left some useless crap in it's place..

I'm sort of busy right now, and can't allocate more time to this currently.. sorry..

Jesus christ.. we had a good tutorial on setting up wine in the stickies, but instead of keeping it, some idiot deleted it and left the shitty MacOS tutorial instead, that damn macos tutorial lacking vital information for running on wine anyways.. it was just a cheers up to some newb that visited the ass and shit he did knew... who the fuck did this!!!!!!!!

sorry Graylandtagger, but it appears a proper tutorial i wanted to direct you to, was deleted from the stickies. I have no idea why it doesn't work for you, but that missing tutorial had a couple of extra tips that i don't remember exactly on how to perform them or what they did, however going by that usually fixed everyones problems...
Unfortuneatly some idiot removed this tutorial, and left some useless crap in it's place..

I'm sort of busy right now, and can't allocate more time to this currently.. sorry..
Don't worry. Take your time. I don't mean to be a bother. Reply when your available.

Ok , i have some time now.. and re read the last messages of this thread so i'm more in line with what you need..
FK advised to set the graphics mode to 0 where exactly have you done it? in ddraw.ini or f2_res.ini or both?
it probably needs both, in order for a failsafe start. but that would mean your game does not detect your gpu drives, or your Dx9 install is messed up.
In order for DirectX mode to work:
try to copy theese files from an unpacked directory of the dx9 setup:
d3dx9_30.dll
d3dx9_31.dll
d3dx9_41.dll
d3dx9_43.dll
to your Last Hope root folder, and set overrides, this should in thoeory fix the problem of missing dx9 installation.

also, as a last resort solution: get a copy of Mash's Hi-res patch enabler executable, and enable it for Fallout2.exe. Then when launching Fo2 when propmted at the start by ddraw.ini just say "No" to the question asking to enable biult-in hires mod, use old Mash's HRP instead. there are ocassions that Mash's HRP is superior to Built-in one, simply because Built-in one isn't as polished as Mash's HRP is, namely sometimes some things don't work on the Built-in HRP.

Ok , i have some time now.. and re read the last messages of this thread so i'm more in line with what you need..
FK advised to set the graphics mode to 0 where exactly have you done it? in ddraw.ini or f2_res.ini or both?
it probably needs both, in order for a failsafe start. but that would mean your game does not detect your gpu drives, or your Dx9 install is messed up.
In order for DirectX mode to work:
try to copy theese files from an unpacked directory of the dx9 setup:
d3dx9_30.dll
d3dx9_31.dll
d3dx9_41.dll
d3dx9_43.dll
to your Last Hope root folder, and set overrides, this should in thoeory fix the problem of missing dx9 installation.

also, as a last resort solution: get a copy of Mash's Hi-res patch enabler executable, and enable it for Fallout2.exe. Then when launching Fo2 when propmted at the start by ddraw.ini just say "No" to the question asking to enable biult-in hires mod, use old Mash's HRP instead. there are ocassions that Mash's HRP is superior to Built-in one, simply because Built-in one isn't as polished as Mash's HRP is, namely sometimes some things don't work on the Built-in HRP.
I tried all the above and got the same result. Even with Virtualbox. Oddly enough Virtualbox seems to be giving me a similar error except one that displays the resolution I have selected. I tried selecting the same resolution as the one set to my laptop(something tells me it's the fact that i'm using a laptop and it's resolution that's causing the problem. I read somewhere that could be the case when this error appears).

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-04-18 19-06-09.png
    Screenshot from 2024-04-18 19-06-09.png
    717.1 KB · Views: 86
ok so what did you do to the downloaded directX package?
did you simply ran it and specified the path? or did you actually *also* opened the specified path after unpacking all the stuff, searched for setup.exe and ran it?
without that forget about functional dx9. the fact that win 7 comes with dx11 bundled doesn't automatically mean it has dx10 or dx9 installed.

where exactly have you set the game's resolution? in ddraw.ini or f2_res.ini? try in both, the fact you're running in a window tells me you've set graphics mode 6 in ddraw.ini if so you need to specify game's resolution in both ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini .

one more thing.. what exactly did you set in the resolution settings, that you suspect it's causing failiure

basically download this the 10 jun 2010 is no longer available it appears.. only web setup is available now.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Last edited:
ok so what did you do to the downloaded directX package?
did you simply ran it and specified the path? or did you actually *also* opened the specified path after unpacking all the stuff, searched for setup.exe and ran it?
without that forget about functional dx9. the fact that win 7 comes with dx11 bundled doesn't automatically mean it has dx10 or dx9 installed.

where exactly have you set the game's resolution? in ddraw.ini or f2_res.ini? try in both, the fact you're running in a window tells me you've set graphics mode 6 in ddraw.ini if so you need to specify game's resolution in both ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini .

one more thing.. what exactly did you set in the resolution settings, that you suspect it's causing failiure

basically download this the 10 jun 2010 is no longer available it appears.. only web setup is available now.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

I have the two ini files here. Also I downloaded the above link and had it installed even after installing direct x properly. Still no luck. The resolution is set to 1920x891

Attachments

what the hell?? how do you expect it to work correctly? are you one of those weirdos that is not satisfied how HRP handles the resolution and want it all to be a pixelated mess, and or have the *best* resolution for gaming? there's no way the game is gonna let you rende at this resolution as it's in no way a standard resolution either do a 1920x1080 or set sfall to windowed mode (a.k.a mode 6) in order to pull this off with the x891, what is the native resolution of your monitor that you expect this to work?! 2k or so?

Ok did a quick sneakpeak.. your ddraw.ini probably had some virus attached, since it was ~800kb in size. there was a lot of empty space before any text..

anyways your resolution is not what you stated: 1920x891...

you have 1280x720 in ddraw.ini and 1280x800 in f2_res.ini
this will obviously not work if you want your stuff zoomed in you need to put bigger resolution in ddraw.ini and smaller in f2_res.ini but for fucks sake they need to be both *the same* aspect ratio ant that has to match aspect ratio of your monitor when using mode=4 !!!!!

eihter use mode=5 for "Dx9 windowed" if you prefer whacky resolutions, *or* windowed fulscreen mode=6 however then still both resolutions would have to match the aspect ratio of your screen..

You get a crash because Mash's HRP has greater horizontal resolution than ddraw.ini an they don't generally have the same aspect ratio so it won't work this way..

also You'll get fallout 2 arroyo timer movies, since FK did not disable them in the ddraw settings.
you need to remove the semicolon before all four aroyyo timer movies and set them all to =-1 in order to dispose of the movie timer feature...

if you really want to i can do it all for ya, just tell me the resolution you want to play in ( a normal one not some weirdo one)

Last edited:
what the hell?? how do you expect it to work correctly? are you one of those weirdos that is not satisfied how HRP handles the resolution and want it all to be a pixelated mess, and or have the *best* resolution for gaming? there's no way the game is gonna let you rende at this resolution as it's in no way a standard resolution either do a 1920x1080 or set sfall to windowed mode (a.k.a mode 6) in order to pull this off with the x891, what is the native resolution of your monitor that you expect this to work?! 2k or so?

Ok did a quick sneakpeak.. your ddraw.ini probably had some virus attached, since it was ~800kb in size. there was a lot of empty space before any text..

anyways your resolution is not what you stated: 1920x891...

you have 1280x720 in ddraw.ini and 1280x800 in f2_res.ini
this will obviously not work if you want your stuff zoomed in you need to put bigger resolution in ddraw.ini and smaller in f2_res.ini but for fucks sake they need to be both *the same* aspect ratio ant that has to match aspect ratio of your monitor when using mode=4 !!!!!

eihter use mode=5 for "Dx9 windowed" if you prefer whacky resolutions, *or* windowed fulscreen mode=6 however then still both resolutions would have to match the aspect ratio of your screen..

You get a crash because Mash's HRP has greater horizontal resolution than ddraw.ini an they don't generally have the same aspect ratio so it won't work this way..

also You'll get fallout 2 arroyo timer movies, since FK did not disable them in the ddraw settings.
you need to remove the semicolon before all four aroyyo timer movies and set them all to =-1 in order to dispose of the movie timer feature...

if you really want to i can do it all for ya, just tell me the resolution you want to play in ( a normal one not some weirdo one)
That explains alot. I tweaked the resolutions to 1920x1080 which is the same resolution as my monitor with the graphics setting at six. It still crashes despite being the same setting as the HRP, but it looks like we're getting close to finding this out. Can you upload a file if that's ok with you? Sorry for all the hassle. It's been quite a long march to figure this mod out and I do owe you one for your patience.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2024-04-19 18-47-32.png
    Screenshot from 2024-04-19 18-47-32.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot from 2024-04-19 18-46-26.png
    Screenshot from 2024-04-19 18-46-26.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot from 2024-04-19 18-46-08.png
    Screenshot from 2024-04-19 18-46-08.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 44
no.. no.. no..

You either set a whacky resolution *and* mode=6 *or* set res to your desktop resolution *and* use mode=4 or mode=5 iI'm uploading Your ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini

but i suspect something fishy had happened to your ddraw.ini. when i initially unpacked it, it had a lot of empty space above the text ( actualy the file was like ~800kB and that's like 750kB too much) so something added dead weight to your ddraw.ini

anyways I'm uploading the zipped files with nessecary resolution adjustmets and a couple of small fixes here and there, arroyotimes-fix, CPU-Load fix for both ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini, set SingleCore=0 to avoid problems, adn set to override art cache size, so you'll have more fluid experience when scrolling the map. also 4.3.7 is a quite buggy version of sfall.. update to the latest 4.4.2+

Attachments

no.. no.. no..

You either set a whacky resolution *and* mode=6 *or* set res to your desktop resolution *and* use mode=4 or mode=5 iI'm uploading Your ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini

but i suspect something fishy had happened to your ddraw.ini. when i initially unpacked it, it had a lot of empty space above the text ( actualy the file was like ~800kB and that's like 750kB too much) so something added dead weight to your ddraw.ini

anyways I'm uploading the zipped files with nessecary resolution adjustmets and a couple of small fixes here and there, arroyotimes-fix, CPU-Load fix for both ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini, set SingleCore=0 to avoid problems, adn set to override art cache size, so you'll have more fluid experience when scrolling the map. also 4.3.7 is a quite buggy version of sfall.. update to the latest 4.4.2+
Thanks for everything. It works now. Couldn't have done it without you.

Sorry but I want to ask why nothing happen after I select Bouns Ranged Damage?
Is this mod change the formula of this perk,now it won't reflected in the item/weapons interface?Thanks

Another,at what point I can forget "four months" of Administrator menace?Is it possible done it in four months?

Bug:
In Old Hotel,if player killed Mrix and for some reason don't talk to Sheriff(e.g. Int < 3 after use 2 dose of psycho) and leave,quest can never finish.

Last edited:
Sorry but I want to ask why nothing happen after I select Bouns Ranged Damage?
Is this mod change the formula of this perk,now it won't reflected in the item/weapons interface?Thanks

Another,at what point I can forget "four months" of Administrator menace?Is it possible done it in four months?

Bug:
In Old Hotel,if player killed Mrix and for some reason don't talk to Sheriff(e.g. Int < 3 after use 2 dose of psycho) and leave,quest can never finish.

Hello,

Bonus Ranged Damage will display correctly if you open ddraw.ini (sfall mod) in your game root folder and set:
DisplayBonusDamage=1

4 months timer
Four months timer will constantly remind you about the main quest. You will have to report back to the administrator if you want to stay on good terms with the prison and continue with your quests without prison patrols hunting you down. Otherwise you'll be sent back to your cell, which you can escape from and start a prison riot.

Old Hotel
That's another possibility i have to put into the equation, thanks buddy.

After I buy any car,and use the key to car(close the engine) and leave,then the car disappeared.
And car seller say he can sell another car.
Is it a feather or bug?

And how can I use the car?I can't drive it...

And local idiot before the car,it says need int 10,but I use mentats to raise int to 10 but nothing happened...

Last edited:
After I buy any car,and use the key to car(close the engine) and leave,then the car disappeared.
And car seller say he can sell another car.
Is it a feather or bug?

And how can I use the car?I can't drive it...

And local idiot before the car,it says need int 10,but I use mentats to raise int to 10 but nothing happened...
Car

Cars work differently. You can't drive it, just use it as a locker that follows you around. You can buy another one if you accidentally lost the old one in the wasteland, it happens. You should be able to get your stuff back if you buy the same model.

Bob

He should tell you a crazy story, not related to any quest, just a few extra dialog lines. I see this needs an update so i'll be working on it.

But the car never follow me,it always lay in Canville,and if I use the key to it and leave,it lost.

And Rob say $2000 can buy a car part,is it complete no use?

Last edited:
@neptunehs
the car part is a nessecary step before repurchasing the vehicle.. in order to install the part you need to have the car with you, and use the 2000$ car part on the car ( from backpack icon). the key is a toggle you ue it once to start the engine and a second time to stop the engine. the engine stop is nessecary as the car will use up MFC charges when left with the engine on and you pass time.

Hello ! First of all great mod, really a nice one but I got so many questions and I couldnt find a guide...

So whats the deal with the Lost City location ? I couldnt find a way in, I saw the Air went but I cant get in whatever I try (yes Its possible Iam just dumb...
So... those Rangers in this Millitary base with ''Virus''... Can you do it peacefully ? I managed to get up the security, resulting brainrobots to swarm out and kill them. Is there anything good except the power first I found in one of the lockers ? What about that Elevator behind that clutter of stone at the doorway on lower level ?

Hope I dont bother anyone with my questions... :look:

Hello ! First of all great mod, really a nice one but I got so many questions and I couldnt find a guide...

So whats the deal with the Lost City location ? I couldnt find a way in, I saw the Air went but I cant get in whatever I try (yes Its possible Iam just dumb...
So... those Rangers in this Millitary base with ''Virus''... Can you do it peacefully ? I managed to get up the security, resulting brainrobots to swarm out and kill them. Is there anything good except the power first I found in one of the lockers ? What about that Elevator behind that clutter of stone at the doorway on lower level ?

Hope I dont bother anyone with my questions... :look:
Hello good sir and welcome! I'll try to be helpful here:
Lost City:
Hidden manhole is the way in.
scr00002.png

UMB location:

Only fighting robobrains/rangers, this is the way. Elevator is blocked permanently.

Thanks for playing8-)

Back