Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Ragemage

Wept for Zion
We're finally getting some new info on the new Zelda game, and it sounds amazing! Here's a list of features we know of so far, along with the trailer:

-While in the past, Zelda games have used magic and fantasy-type means to explore the enviroment, Breath of the Wind will be introducing technology. The Shiekah Tablet is one of these techs, and it allows you to create items such as bombs and generate items such as magnets to complete puzzles.

-Link can jump freely, instead of only being able to climb ledges like in the past games.

-There are multiple weapon types, not just swords. (spears are shown in the video, for example)

-Along with normal dungeons, there also exist the "Shrines of Trials". There are more than 100 of them in the game and they all test your abilities. They come with special items and hidden items as rewards. They can be done in any order.

-You can customize your outfit in certain ways, including armor and casual clothes, or take it off completely resulting in just Link in his underwear.

-The villain for this game is apparently some avatar of Ganondorf.

-You don't have to just ride Epona. You can ride horses in the wild too. (not known if there's a way to tame/keep these other horses yet)

-Link can climb/scale mountains, trees, and walls as long as he has enough stamina.

-There are Korok placed randomly throughout the world with helpful advice (a type of tree sprite from the past games)

-You can gather crops (such as mushrooms and apples) that are placed throughout the world and eat them to regain health. There are no more "hearts in the grass, just eating".

-When you collect an axe, you will be able to chop down trees and grab fruit which may be too tall to climb.

-You can climb trees to an extent.

There is a type of hang gliding item similar to the Great Deku Leaf from Wind Waker.

-The weapons and shields Link collects early-game have durability, and can eventually break, much like the Biggoron Sword from Ocarina of Time or the upgrades to the Kokori Sword in Majora's Mask.

-The Hyrule you are spawned in is in ruins and hints as to what happened are placed throughout the game so you may build a story at your own pace.

-There's a new art style being used: "We wanted to use the art style and match it to the functions of this game"

-You can use a scope on the Slate (basically binoculars) to mark a destination in the distance on your map.

-The game introduces hunting, but you can play and survive the entire game without killing animals.

-You can blow up rocks for minerals and gems, such as topaz.

-The enemy AI will react to the world. If it is night, for example, they will sleep in their camps, allowing you to sneak in and steal their treasure without being noticed.

-If you are not wearing proper clothing or warming yourself while in cold enviroments, Link will start shivering and slowly lose health.

-Dynamic Weather

-You can use your shield as a snowboard in snowy hill and mountain areas.

-When attacking a skeletal type enemy, you can pick up their own limbs and beat them with it.

I'm so excited you guys, I've always loved the Zelda franchise and this one looks to be absolutely astounding.

Last edited:
My first impression is that it's a mix between Zelda and the walking simulator-survival genre. That isn't neccesarily bad, the art department looks really good, especially coming back to the "Ruined Kingdom" setting.

I did not see, hope it stays this way, no annoying sidekick. No Navi or Fi. Perhaps Nintendo is finally letting go of the hand holding and letting us play games again like the originals. Also liking what I see. I've been a Zelda fan since I could remember and this one looks like it has the much needed change in formula but being familiar enough in design that we fans may be in for a real treat. Maybe Nintendo is finally growing up. Albeit too late.

Edit: Forgot about A Link Between Worlds. It did squeak it's way into my top favorite Zelda titles.

Oracle of Seasons + Oracle of Time are still the best ones :D

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game just because of how brutally dark it is. Murder, men being turned into children days before their wedding, more murder, implied suicides, the apocalypse, etc. It's all so dark compared to other titles and I love it. Closest I can think of in terms of darkness in the series would be Twilight Princess, which also features character deaths besides the main villain.

Really looking forward to this one. The map is supposed to be pretty massive as well.

Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game just because of how brutally dark it is. Murder, men being turned into children days before their wedding, more murder, implied suicides, the apocalypse, etc. It's all so dark compared to other titles and I love it. Closest I can think of in terms of darkness in the series would be Twilight Princess, which also features character deaths besides the main villain.
Twilight Princess was honestly just damn great. Fun puzzles, good combat, awesome world and theming, And being able to transform into a wolf and just wreck monsters never gets old. Having skyward sword after that was such a disappointment.

I still enjoy Skyward Sword, even though it was pretty cartoony I must say. Ghirahim was a great villain though and the locations were beautiful. I didn't like how there were really only 4 main locations that changed depending on how far in the game you were. It was a good concept, just kinda poorly executed in my opinion. I did absolutely adore flying the loftwing though. Too bad it was really only used to get to the different areas and not actually used in the areas.

I'm on board with this if their new console has a proper controller and not some gimmick BS. I like Nintendo but if they continue to ride all the gimmick the least they could do is port this shit to PC.

That's some quality music composing for a game. Never played zelda in my life, but the various mechanics look interesting. I also like puzzles, so this looks like a game that i'd like to play, not that it matters any as this will probably be a wii exclusive.

Back