Level Cap - To easy?

yester64

First time out of the vault
Hi,
i played so far 60 hours and haven't finished the game. But now i am already at level 30. So no more xp for me.
I wonder if it would not be better to have a slower progress in leveling.
Now with no xp anymore it takes out a little the fun.

How do you judge this.

But i have to add that i explore as much as i could. Perhaps that is the reason that i maxed out before i finished.

I suppose it's hard, because they have to balance between normal people who are only going to do the main quest and then people who are going to do 80% of the side quests. Seems slower than Fallout 3's level progression at least.

Some of the problem comes from the exploration "grinding". I didn't really notice it at the time but geckos are present in a lot of wasteland locations and they yield a lot of Xp compared to their ease to kill. (A gecko is equal to a Cazador at 50 xp per kill.) This (and other similar Xp farm enemies) might be another reason for the rapid Xp gain.

I agree, Big Horners are cake walk for a simple 200-400xp as they usually come in a group or two groups big enough to fork out the xp and you can find bands of them all over the place. Slower leveling and replacing some of the horrible perks with ones you might actually think about taking would be good. (Lead Belly ... Really?)

For some reason i fell i should bought the PC version of the game.
I think the levels and XP should be related to everything explorable.
So if that means, that you don't level much up if you just walk the main quest, this should be good.
But now you already maxed out the levels and still did not finish the main quest.
This breaks the game somewhat for me.
Don't know if i maxed out in Fallout 1 or if i just did not explore everything, but i think i never maxed it out.
I will still walk around the desert and explore every freaking stone, even without any xp to gain.
Since i have the xbox version i can not mod it in any way. Sadly.

Fallout 1 doesn't have that many explorable locations. Besides the neat random encounters, the only places to really go are Vault 13, Vault 15, Shady Sands, Junktown, The Glow, The Hub, LA, Necropolis, The Military Base, The Khan's camp, the Lost Hills Bunker and the Cathedral - basically just a dozen places.

Also F1, to me, is a short game, I generally only reach about level 13-15 before I complete the game - and that is being reasonably thorough.

Here's my theory: non-combat perks should generally not worry about being unbalanced. If anything, giving strong reasons to pick non-combat perks would be a very good thing.

So, for instance, Lead Belly should work something like, food and drink doesn't give you any rads at *all*, and any other negative penalties for a food or drink ( as opposed to drug ) should be cut in half.

60 hours is quite a bit of gameplay. I think its pretty reasonable to expect to hit level 30 in that amount of time, somewhat depending on your playstyle(i.e. fast travelling will level you up faster because you get to key areas for exp faster). On my first playthrough, with extensive exploring and little use of fast travel, I clocked in 85 hours and without even intending it to work out like this, my character reaches level 30 upon defeating Lanius.

(A gecko is equal to a Cazador at 50 xp per kill.)

Not all geckos give 50 xp. I'm pretty sure regulars give 25 and gold/fire give 50. Keep in mind that sometimes if you kill two enemies in succession quickly enough, the game will display their combined total.

I was lvl 30 after 45 hours when finishing, but then I had skipped a lot of sidequests.

You can open the console and extend the level-cap if you're on a PC at least.

I was level 30 by 25 hours. Not grinding, but just doing every quest I was given.

The smallest quests can give a lot of xp... which they could replace with giving little amount of xp and more weapons and armour. Xp is faaar too easy to gain in New Vegas. Considering I got to 30 in new Vegas faster than I could get to level 20 in FO3.

Those wanting something more challenging try this mod from the Nexus.

The guy made the XP progression more faster or slower, you decide.
More important, it balance the XP gained with hack and exploring too, so no more 50 XP for killing a more rat.

There's many profiles, always in increments of -/+5%.

[ ]'s

I think the game was designed so that different character type could skip many of the quests if they didn't fit the character and still have plenty of experience available to level up.

I've played through the game a few times now and my first character did as many quests as possible and hit the cap fairly early, but my other characters only did quests relevant to how I wanted to play them and I didn't do large amounts of quests and was still well leveled by the end of the game. These character were a little more fun for me to play because it makes them more different from each other and makes their paths completely different. It has also helped with game performance some as well as I was finishing the game before the saves got too bloated.

I do agree you tend to get too much experience for killing weak enemies though.

Biggest problem I found was the achievements where you kill 50 people with energy weapons or crippled 100 limbs etc, it was grand when you got them the first time but they keep coming up again and again so you level up to quick.

It is way too easy. Not as easy as the one found in the previous Fallout 3 but nonetheless it's pretty darn easy to level up in this game. I reckon bonuses for lockpick/hacking successes should be lowered as well as the rate of experience needed for another level increased. I myself was 30 way before main quest took its last turn. One little stroll into the Mojave desert usually means getting my ass jumped by the critters obviously trying to boost my exp. level.

I was playing a dumb courier x a smart one x a weak one and discovered that actually the level cap is not easy to obtain. Sure it's if you do most of the side quests, ALL factions related quests and so on. Basically if you persue everything that the game has to offer, but this will lead to a very extended an lengthy playthrough. If you resolve to side with a faction from the start and do their quests or side-quests that don't impact negativelly on her, the level cap is actually hard to be achieved.

This will lead to a shorter, but not less, challenging gameplay.

I think the XP earned in quests are very balanced, with the exception the ammount gainned hacking, hunting and lockpicking.

yester64 said:
Hi,
i played so far 60 hours and haven't finished the game. But now i am already at level 30. So no more xp for me.
I wonder if it would not be better to have a slower progress in leveling.
Now with no xp anymore it takes out a little the fun.

How do you judge this.

But i have to add that i explore as much as i could. Perhaps that is the reason that i maxed out before i finished.

How? I can play the game, beat it only at level 15... I know im probably missing some quests, but still, how do you level up so fast?

FoxHua7 said:
im probably missing some quests
more like, missing a lot of quests. And possibly, a lot of locations -- though, finding locations doesn't directly give you much xp -- they do have plenty of opportunities for getting lots of xp.

I like to walk around the mojave looking for caves, then clear them out and collect the loot. Most of them have garbage, but a few have really decent weapons and armor. I think it's Ruby Hill cave (or some cave nearby) that is filled with cazadores and has the remnants power helmet. then go across the river, just north of cottonwood cove (be prepared to fight 15 deathclaws) and you can find Remnants Power Armor.

You'll probably need to be around level 15 just to survive all that, but by the time you are done, you should be close to level 20.

I got like three chars going now(not counting the three complete playthroughs I did already), and I just broke Lv. 23 in the one. I purposefully level slowly, since capping off takes the fun out of that run.

To me, the leveling is just fine.

Back