Making of Fallout 1 and 2

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
T

TorontoReign

This is worth a watch if you like Fallout. I'm sure there are a few of you here. Apparently the "War. War never changes." line was written during a Simpsons commercial break. The Muse truly does inspire at the oddest times. This can't all be due to a Tyranny DLC can it? Next we will hear they are making their own Fallout with Blackjack and hookers.

It's funny, because I've often read posts on here saying that one thing Bethesda gets wrong is making Fallout the 50s but in the future, rather than a future loosely based off of 50s futurism, but it's interesting to hear that Leonard Boyarsky also agrees with that.

Also, Feargus was wrong to come up with Black Isle. Colostomy Food Fight was a much better name.

It's funny, because I've often read posts on here saying that one thing Bethesda gets wrong is making Fallout the 50s but in the future, rather than a future loosely based off of 50s futurism, but it's interesting to hear that Leonard Boyarsky also agrees with that.

I am honestly one to say that canon is typically best with the most hardcore fans of a franchise.

Developers/directors start to get weird, maybe it gets to their head or something, but they start changing shit which hardcore fans simply all agreed upon, and found fine and dandy.

It bugs me when a company, or person can say 'oh this franchise is like this', and all of a sudden you have two groups with varying opinions, the drooling tards who go 'hurrr its now like dis!', and the actual fans who go 'hey, that's not right! Why change what was perfectly fine?'

Wouldn't you cause a time paradox with the dinosaur PETA never existing?

I guess a lot of people were tired of a fantasy setting at that time. I personally don't like the flavor of magic. I mean how much damage is a fireball expected to do?

Wouldn't you cause a time paradox with the dinosaur PETA never existing?

I guess a lot of people were tired of a fantasy setting at that time. I personally don't like the flavor of magic. I mean how much damage is a fireball expected to do?

Don't get me started with fantasy.

So many settings break my suspension of disbelief, when any fuckwit can read a book, and shoot fucking lightning out of his cock.

It breaks my heart a bit when they said that thought the waterchip timer was a mistake. Still I do understand. I just like how it encourages you to finish all your business in one town before moving to another.

It breaks my heart a bit when they said that thought the waterchip timer was a mistake. Still I do understand. I just like how it encourages you to finish all your business in one town before moving to another.

I think timers are good, and bad, depending on one's preferences.

Nothing stopping a timer from being an option in the menus, it genuinely adds tension and a feel of consequence with time wasting.

Glad I decided to check in. What a great interview.

Liked the part that they knew it was going to be a special (no pun) and a one in a lifetime project as they were making it.

I think timers are good, and bad, depending on one's preferences.

Nothing stopping a timer from being an option in the menus, it genuinely adds tension and a feel of consequence with time wasting.
Basically, without time there can be no choice. I feel like Hakunin writing this, but yeah, if i lived forever i would probably end up being the leader of every guild. Fallout had the right idea.
In fallout, when you arrive in necropolis for the first time having wasted days back and forth and you meet these dead looking people that are almost not human anymore and they tell you that yes, they do have the chip you've been looking for all along, but would you please not take it without helping them first, you feel like you have an actual choice. And i think that;s mainly because of the timer.

I known for a long time that the team regretted adding the Super Mutant timer (they could have telegraph it better or allow it to be delayed) but it sucks to know they regretted the iconic Water chip timer as well. I heard someone said that they hated the timer in Majora Mask and Dead Rising.
upload_2017-11-8_10-57-37.png

This is why we can't have nice things.

I hate timers in games but I also love them. I don't deal well with time limits in things like RTS timed missions where you have this amount of minutes and have to survive or win in that time frame. I also don't like turn limits in card games, where you have to win or survive in this amount of turns. Because in those games cases, it doesn't add anything to the game, it is just a stupid limitation in some missions/quests/levels that will just make you repeat the mission/quest/level over and over until you beat it.
Now in games like RPGs, it adds to the tension, it usually explicitly tells you what the consequences are if you don't do it in time, and the time limits are usually fair, it is a mechanic that works well in the game it is included (since the game is made around it), not a "let's make this level harder by adding a stupid time limit" added to the game just to make a part of it harder (like, most, or all of the game isn't built around this limitation).

I known for a long time that the team regretted adding the Super Mutant timer (they could have telegraph it better or allow it to be delayed) but it sucks to know they regretted the iconic Water chip timer as well. I heard someone said that they hated the timer in Majora Mask and Dead Rising.
View attachment 9624
This is why we can't have nice things.
Good God, that comment is what made me lose sizable chunk of my faith in humanity when I first read it.

Back