Master

Mr Fish

Slippy sloppy, The
2024-05-04 13.07.36 funnyjunk.com d3706eb44188.png

Forget that, how did the residents of Shady Sands not manage to find Vault 4? It's literally within sight of their settlement and out in the open, but somehow they only discovered it after Shady Sands was destroyed.

I mean, he undoubtedly did find Vault 4. It's a Vault full of mutants and they murdered their slave owners. They probably hold a Master Day there every year, celebrating his destruction of the normies.

It's not like any of them would be useful to his plan of converting non-mutated humans.

Given Vault 31, 32, and 33 are a place that Moldaver also needed something like twenty years to find, I also think that its not exactly well known either.

I mean, he undoubtedly did find Vault 4. It's a Vault full of mutants and they murdered their slave owners. They probably hold a Master Day there every year, celebrating his destruction of the normies.

It's not like any of them would be useful to his plan of converting non-mutated humans.

Given Vault 31, 32, and 33 are a place that Moldaver also needed something like twenty years to find, I also think that its not exactly well known either.
But how is it hard to find? The entrance is right at the surface, with a big-ass number of the vault written on it.

But how is it hard to find? The entrance is right at the surface, with a big-ass number of the vault written on it.

The Boneyard was actually directly hit by nuclear weapons unlike the majority of places in Fallout and the radiation only recently receded there as it's not as populated as other parts of Fallout 1 with only Raider gangs having lived there like the Rippers. The Master and Followers of the Apocalypse are new arrivals.

Its a contrast to other more thriving settlements and groups that have been settled for generations like Junktown.

We also see that Santa Monica was never resettled at all by the fact the place is still like the Capital Wasteland. * Los Angeles is 460 square miles and Fallout 1 is only 25 years after the bombs fell. Remember the Master only finds your Vault if you clue him in with the Water Merchants or he finds them through his local contacts (The Cathedral).

Vault 32, 31, and 33 is completely incommunicado.

* To be fair, those skeletons could have been left behind by the Shady Sands nuking, depending on whether Hank just used one nuke or several on NCR.

The Boneyard was actually directly hit by nuclear weapons unlike the majority of places in Fallout and the radiation only recently receded there as it's not as populated as other parts of Fallout 1 with only Raider gangs having lived there like the Rippers. The Master and Followers of the Apocalypse are new arrivals.

Its a contrast to other more thriving settlements and groups that have been settled for generations like Junktown.

We also see that Santa Monica was never resettled at all by the fact the place is still like the Capital Wasteland. * Los Angeles is 460 square miles and Fallout 1 is only 25 years after the bombs fell. Remember the Master only finds your Vault if you clue him in with the Water Merchants or he finds them through his local contacts (The Cathedral).

Vault 32, 31, and 33 is completely incommunicado.

* To be fair, those skeletons could have been left behind by the Shady Sands nuking, depending on whether Hank just used one nuke or several on NCR.
No, Fallout 1 is 80 years after the bombs fell. Stop making shit up when you don't know the facts.
Vault 13 wasn't found because it was hidden under a mountain. Vault 15 was only accessible via a hole in the ground.
Vault 31-33 had their entrance right in the open. We don't know what is in the Boneyard because it was never really shown, the only notable places in Fallout 1 were Adytum and the Gunrunners' place. The Master could have and should have found the vaults, but the things is, yeah, they were not written yet and the writers for the show just kinda ignored Fallout 1.

The vaults are sticking out of the ground because the writers don't understand how the vaults work and never played the original games. Vault 33's entrance door is right along the coastline as the most identifiable landmark to anyone walking on the beach. It's totally ridiculous. Reg has a line about the vaults being "impenetrable" but that's not convincing at all.

No, Fallout 1 is 80 years after the bombs fell. Stop making shit up when you don't know the facts.

That was a typo, by the way. My bad.

Edit: Yes, that was a stupid error and why I need to stop multitasking.

Vault 13 wasn't found because it was hidden under a mountain. Vault 15 was only accessible via a hole in the ground.

Yeah and you only find it because of the Water merchants.

Vault 31-33 had their entrance right in the open. We don't know what is in the Boneyard because it was never really shown, the only notable places in Fallout 1 were Adytum and the Gunrunners' place. The Master could have and should have found the vaults, but the things is, yeah, they were not written yet and the writers for the show just kinda ignored Fallout 1.

It's "right in the open" in the post-apocalypse because its next to the beach of Santa Monica pier. Also, the Boneyard is called that because of all the nuclear burned out skeletons of skyscrapers and buildings.

The Water Merchants would only make the Master find our about Vault 13 quicker, he eventually finds out about it anyway (at least pre-the time limit being patched out)

I mentioned that in the first post. The Master has a network of spies and informants throughout the Wasteland in the Cathedral. Do you think he finds the Vault with them or do you think he's physically searching with his armies that are mostly at Mariposa and otherwise hidden from view?

I say it is the former.

Basically, I think fans think the Master's Army is a big Legion like Horde when it's actually relying on stealth - no one knows they exist save rumors and hearsay until the Vault Dweller exposes them at the Death Claw cave.

I mentioned that in the first post. The Master has a network of spies and informants throughout the Wasteland in the Cathedral. Do you think he finds the Vault with them or do you think he's physically searching with his armies that are mostly at Mariposa and otherwise hidden from view?

I say it is the former.

Basically, I think fans think the Master's Army is a big Legion like Horde when it's actually relying on stealth - no one knows they exist save rumors and hearsay until the Vault Dweller exposes them at the Death Claw cave.
Yes, to start with they learn things through scouts and informants, but once he destroys Necropolis his army does in fact start acting like a rolling horde and just wiping out settlements out in the open. But that doesn't matter either way - Even if we disregard the invasion, the Master does not solely rely on spies and informants getting information that normals are already aware of, he has spies doing reconnaissance on their own without reliance on extracting intelligence from others (the Nightkin, and parties of normal Super Mutants around the Glow).

And you didn't mention it in your first post, this was your first post:

You addressed it in your second post:

Remember the Master only finds your Vault if you clue him in with the Water Merchants or he finds them through his local contacts (The Cathedral).
I don't know where you're getting the second part, that the Master finds Vault 13 through his local contacts at the Cathedral. Aside from the Water Merchants or informing the Unity directly, there's no indication (so far as I can recall) about how exactly the Master finds Vault 13, but find it he does.

I don't know where you're getting the second part, that the Master finds Vault 13 through his local contacts at the Cathedral. Aside from the Water Merchants or informing the Unity directly, there's no indication (so far as I can recall) about how exactly the Master finds Vault 13, but find it he does.

Eh, that seems to me a pretty big correlation there.

My point in this being that the Vault Dweller has revealed the vault to the world by their presence when it would otherwise be completely unknown. The Master finds Vault 13, probably, by asking around and retracing their steps versus simply checking under every nook and cranny.

Which is more to my point that the Master just needs to not find the Vault 32 entrance in the Boneyard from the time that he becomes directly active until the time that the Vault Dweller causes the destruction of their citadel.

And that's easier with it having no contact with the surface world.

But yes, I admit, if he's actively searching, 30 years in his own hometown does make it seem ridiculous if that's been populated that entire time--I just don't think it has been as its shown to be an utterly lawless hellhole until recently* due to Morpheus' backstory. When he's part of the Rippers gang, there's no one doing anything in the Boneyard and its not until the Regulators and Cathedral and Followers appear that a semblance of order happens.

* Mind you, I think Morpheus was "converted" in 2152, which means about nine years.

Edit:

I'm willing to admit between the typos and lore mistakes I made this thread that I am completely off here and they should have made a damn tunnel to hide the vault entrance.

Conceded.

You win, @Hassknecht

But yes, I admit, if he's actively searching, 30 years in his own hometown does make it seem ridiculous if that's been populated that entire time--I just don't think it has been as its shown to be an utterly lawless hellhole until recently* due to Morpheus' backstory. When he's part of the Rippers gang, there's no one doing anything in the Boneyard and its not until the Regulators and Cathedral and Followers appear that a semblance of order happens.
I think the absolutely crazy thing is that he never found Vault 4. Vault 4 brings people in through a hospital. It makes no sense that no one in the Unity never went to go check out that hospital so close to the Cathedral. Even if you weren't looking for Vaults, at some point medicine might come in handy.

I think the absolutely crazy thing is that he never found Vault 4. Vault 4 brings people in through a hospital. It makes no sense that no one in the Unity never went to go check out that hospital so close to the Cathedral. Even if you weren't looking for Vaults, at some point medicine might come in handy.

I mean unlike 32, the entrance to Vault 4 is actually hidden. There's no Vault door in the hospital. There's a trap door that they operate from below.

The entrance door to Vault 4 isn't hidden at all.
i-just-realized-why-vault-4-has-an-obvious-surface-entrance-v0-r9r4i7rlhevc1.jpg

The trap door exists to bait research subjects, but the vault itself isn't concealed.

Back