My experience with FNV

Ave-H

First time out of the vault
I honestly did not enjoy my first time with the game. My first time through I did the main quest, chunk of the side quests and DLCs. Puttered about the map doing the classic loop of shooting, looting and scooting. After awhile if began to feel like a slog through molasses, the combat especially felt terrible. It led to me using a mini-gun and a lot of ammunition to just remove all obstacles between quest objectives.

I do have a personal rule to try out a new game the first time without any mods or fan patches, so my first time through was a bit rough edged in places. It was manageable for the most part though, only a few times I was getting pissed from it acting up. Something goes really awry I can just use the console commands to fix it.

I'm just bothered that I haven't been able to enjoy this game more. I enjoy the classics a lot and I put a lot of time into Fallout 3 and a good chunk into 4. I even enjoyed the Frontier and parts of that we're a nightmare to get through. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mind set or a lack of modifications to the game is the problem. Though at times it felt like I just in the Mojave to clean up after everyone else and I don't think that can be modded out. Has anyone else felt this way about the game?

I had the exact same problem with 3. The truth is the Bethesda style RPG lives and dies on how fun the map is to traverse. The map in New Vegas is not fun to traverse. If you do not enjoy the story then you will not have a good time. Try modding 3 and New Vegas together maybe. Or just play Atom RPG.

Yeah modding the fun back in is probably the only way I'll enjoy the game. Funnily enough a bit after my play through I had a thought that New Vegas would probably be great in the classic game's style. Wouldn't have to worry about the map not being fun.

You could install a simple mod to adjust your speed in the wasteland at 2x or 3x speed, that way you can skip the boredom that is NV desert.
Personally I play it vanilla unpatched because I love a big amount of the bugs (except the pipboy screen bug fuck that)

Yeah, FNV is easy once you are familiar with Fallout 3's tough combat. Once you get a robot, then a companion, it's even more piss easy. When you are not interested in the dialogs, the quest writings, it feel too bored to stay awake.

The way to fix it is to make it tough.
1. Install a slower level mod. This make you level up slower and you stay more time in early level. You will feel combat tougher and more use of things you normally dont use, like a frag for example. And slower access to OP weapons like miniguns for example.

2. Install some mods that spawn more hostiles. Say Mojave Raiders or Larger Packs. When you are at low level, quantity of cheap mobs can be a quality of its own. Sure, once you win the loots are neckdeep, but at least you must win first~

3. Install mods that toughen vanilla spawns. The way vanilla FNV is set, the spawns cant make full use of their scarce equipment thus they are easy. But once they are better equipped, you will be surprised with what they can do.
+++ e.g. if they have grenades they will throw it first before engage in melee. Meaning YOU will be soften up before you can meet their spearheads.

Back