New Vegas and Windows 10 upgrades- worth it?

welsh

Junkmaster
Hey Folks- quick question and I think this is the right place to ask. I am a long time player, and former admin here, but have been absent a long time. Hope you can help with this tech question as I am guessing others have it. So, kind of makes sense to have this thread and I didn't come up with a duplicate when I did a search.

Ok, I am playing a version of Fallout New Vegas that is heavily modified. Still haven't finished the game. My PC is running Windows 10, and while my PC is about 7 years old, it can manage the game well enough. I am receiving the offer to upgrade to Windows 10 and I am tempted to do so if only to try out Fallout 4 (although I suspect the game is crap). But I am worried that if I upgrade to Windows 10 I will screw up my Fallout New Vegas game, ruin the mods and basically ruin my long-running game.

So- any advice? Can I still run a modified New Vegas in Windows 10? Should I just keep Windows 7 and, in the future, buy a new PC in Windows 10?

Your advice is appreciated as I am divided about updating and the free update is about to expire.

Muchos Gracias and I am glad to see NMA still alive and well.

Hey I'd like to know this too. I have heavily modded New Vegas, and also couple of old games modded so it's playable in a more modern machine (like Planescape: Torment and Arcanum). Haven't really finished them all, and it's really tedious if I have to repeat the modding process of them all when and if I upgrade to Windows 10, especially New Vegas.

In can only speak for myself, but Windows 10 didn't screw up any of my mods, and NV keeps running fine. The only thing that may cause problem is the ENB. If you use an ENB, and if it has a Sweet FX preset included, Windows 10 has trouble with it, somehow. Most ENB presets weren't upgraded, but I think that the modder who made Rudy ENB actually found a way to make Sweet FX work with Windows 10, and included a fix in his download page. Check it out if you're in this situation.

Other than that, no problem. But as said, I can only speak for myself. Other may have different experiences.

Why not just finish New Vegas first?

Upgrade just for the improvements and modern game compatibility.

As far as I know, NV is completely compatible with Win 10 (just finished it).

Thanks for the feedback. There have been a number of reports that the free upgrade to Windows 10 put the screws to a number of players of New Vegas, especially with regard to those that are heavily modded. Lots of load up problems and new crashes. We'll see. I am doing the download but I might wait to do the install until I finish off the game. Then, I will try to reload.

Then again, I am in the market for a new PC, so I might just leave this in Windows 7 and keep it as an old gaming PC.

I do enterprise IT work and it seems like I get asked similar questions about win 10 every week by friends and family who come to me for tech stuff.

I suggest they only get win 10 if it is on a brand new machine and leave their working win 7 box alone. (and block the gwx stuff) Win 7 will still be getting updates for 4 years, and you already know that hardware/driver compatibility is OK on it, so don't break it just to fiddle with win 10 which doesn't offer much of an improvement (I've only really seen anecdotal evidence that it is any faster/better)

The vast majority of people who have mentioned issues with win 10 to me were ones that upgraded it over an existing OS on an older piece of hardware, while the people that are saying "Oh it works great and I have no issues!" were not the ones who did the upgrade, but those that bought a new Dell or something with it on there.

They tend to neglect to mention that they have way better/newer hardware now, so the "its so much better than win 7" line has very little effect on me. I've put it on a few laptops and a desktop, with clean installs that previously ran win 7 and noticed no improvement in benchmarks and overall performance measurements like temps under load.

Last edited:
Ah, in that case, I would be holding on to Win 8.1 for my laptop, and go for Win 10 for a new machine instead. Thank you so much.

Off-topic, what do you think of the spyware thing-y that plague Win 10? I watched TekSyndicate video the other day on how to get rid of those, but it seemed so tedious. And then I read on a thread in The Order subforum about Win 10 and someone there said you can just opt-out of it, he made it seems easy. Do you know some way to solve that problem in a more simple step-by-step? Appreciate your help.

if you are talking about the windows 10 nagware thing, it's referred to as GWX short for "get windows 10".

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it may go away automatically this month, since they said they would no longer be offering a free upgrade after the first year. They could change their mind tho.

If it doesn't go away, there is a freeware application made to disable it and prevent it from downloading the 6gb of win 10 you won't need, called gwx control panel. I've used it on a bunch of machines with no negative side effects so far.

this should be the standalone executable for it. There is one on their site with an installer package, but it doesn't need anything but this to run:

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/GWX_control_panel.exe

teh information panel on it will show your current state of affairs with your machine and the buttons below do the variety of steps for you to disable the different facets of the gwx program, instead of having to delete files and edit your registry manually.

I appreciate the advice, folks. Alas, last night I decided to go with the upgrade and figured if my New Vegas game went to hell, I'd start over (for the third time). So far, however, it seems to be working fine and the Windows 10 seems to pretty ok. So I am please. Again, thanks for the advice. In hindsight, I probably would have waited given I am in need of a PC upgrade. After 7 years, I suspect my little ASUS is just too damn old.

I mean when you finally have Win 10. I saw TekSyndicate video about it the other day, there's many things in the settings that needed to be changed, etc etc, and he turned off his connection too.

Having said that, it's July 30 where I live already, but 'Get Windows 10' tab is still there, even though I've already turned off my Windows Update since months ago.

I appreciate the advice, folks. Alas, last night I decided to go with the upgrade and figured if my New Vegas game went to hell, I'd start over (for the third time). So far, however, it seems to be working fine and the Windows 10 seems to pretty ok. So I am please. Again, thanks for the advice. In hindsight, I probably would have waited given I am in need of a PC upgrade. After 7 years, I suspect my little ASUS is just too damn old.
Heres two things to help rid of the spyware:

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

These are what I use.

Back