New vegas map grid question

Discussion in 'Fallout: New Vegas Discussion' started by PowahAwemah, Apr 24, 2011.

1. PowahAwemah

PowahAwemah First time out of the vault

Jun 5, 2010
    How big would the whole Fallout: New Vegas map be in the original F1/F2 map grid?

2. erlkaarik

erlkaarik First time out of the vault

Apr 2, 2010
    7x7, I'd estimate.

3. DarthBartus

DarthBartus It Wandered In From the Wastes

Mar 11, 2011
    I'd say it's about one-two cells. In fallout traveling through one cell takes about one day of game time. If you venture from Mojave Outpost at dawn, you are in Jacobstown at the dusk (though I may be wrong, I haven't played NV for quite some time). The world is just small. Very small.

4. vanzizzle

vanzizzle It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 15, 2010
    Think about it though... FO1&2 would take a day or more to move across the diameter of a town. So it wasn't exactly realistic. Just sayin'.

5. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    One zone, not more than maximum 2. Fallout 3 would be just one zone, as it doesn't even cover a whole town, like FNV does with New Vegas.

6. requiem_for_a_starfury

requiem_for_a_starfury So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Apr 3, 2003
    I'd go with erlkaarik 7x7, isn't Las Vegas already partially in Fallout? If you go east from Vault 15 to the edge of the map and then travel down you'll pass through the ruins of a city. Looking at an atlas surely that must be Vegas.

7. Lexx

Lexx Background Radiant
    Moderator Modder

Apr 24, 2005
    Well, that was 10+ years ago and it doesn't resemble the New Vegas' Las Vegas on the map anyway. So I wouldn't take this as point of orientation.

8. vanzizzle

vanzizzle It Wandered In From the Wastes

Feb 15, 2010
    What then about the closely distributed vaults in NV?

9. requiem_for_a_starfury

requiem_for_a_starfury So Old I'm Losing Radiation Signs

Apr 3, 2003
    But the question was how big would it be in the FO1/2 grid and the answer is most of it's already there. The playing area of New Vegas is compressed but that doesn't mean it would be in the FO1/2 grid.

10. Wintermind

Wintermind Vault Senior Citizen

Jan 21, 2011
    What's a grid square in the FO overmap? 1 mi^2? 1 km^2? Figure that out, and the go and figure the actual distance between Vegas and Primm. And the Hoover Dam and etc. Then you'l have an idea.

'd do it but effort.

11. outofthegamer

outofthegamer Still Mildly Glowing

Apr 12, 2011
    Not sure how on topic this is, but I am very content with the size of the map in Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. It usually takes quite a while to walk across the entire map; and it very rarely feels like I am running into dead ends or invisible walls.