New Vegas with VNV won't launch anymore

The_Proletarian

Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
Fallout New Vegas won't launch anymore. I have VNV installed and launch the game from MO2. It has worked for 70 hours of play but now it just stops responding on startup. What could have happened? I played yesterday but can't get the game to run anymore.

e: I can launch the game through Steam but then I won't get the mods. So it must be something in MO2.

If it's not launching at all instead of crashing then I suspect the problem with load order.

Check the plugins load order- sometimes it gets messed up and for example tries to launch all of your plugins alphabetically (so MO tries to launch some of the mods first and NV after them).

If it's the case and you don't have the backup to restore (yellow and blue arrow above the list) use the SORT option (it's not perfect) above the list or download the VNV load order.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/79358?tab=files&file_id=1000133433

Thank you! Sorting did nothing.

It looks like the load order is alright with the FalloutNV.esm at the top. I installed everything back in February, I wonder if it's safe to use the latest load order file which is from June?

Yes, it is safe.

Anything else that could be affecting your setup?
Did you update your drivers recently or put Documents folder in Windows directories? Do you use OneDrive?

There are several reasons it could lead to a sudden problem with FNV in MO2
1. You might have misclick on the right window panel and sorting it based on alphabet instead of priority number. This could lead to unloadable some of the case, but in other case it could load alright, but buggy in other state. Solution? rearrange the right window panel based on priority number, not alphabet.

2. You might have do some tweaking in Geck. After saving, most of the time the just-saved esp or esm will be kicked down to highest priority, lowest spot in right window panel. If that esp or esm do too many strange things, it could have broken your sessions and unloadable. Rearrange said esp/esm back to its proper spot (if you remember) to see if it start again. If not, you might want to disable it to see if it helps. if starting in that case, then you need to check said esp/esm to see what you did to create that kind of problem.

3. You might have installed some new mods that extremely incompatible with your rig, from software to hardware. Or you could have upgrade your driver and it's extremely incompatible with your mods and your rig. Case in point: AMD latest driver upgrade has some hickup with nvse. Another case in point: last year, or year before last, nvse did a full rewrite in code, which lead to some breakage in some pluggins, which lead to some mod creating unloadable and or notworking any more. Say, sup pluggin, and its two dependant mod that utilize screenshot function. In which case, you might want to test this shit one by one to see which create trouble.

Yes, it is safe.

Anything else that could be affecting your setup?
Did you update your drivers recently or put Documents folder in Windows directories? Do you use OneDrive?
Updating the load order with a new file didn't work. But it seemed to be correct from the start with CC 3D Rain.esp at the bottom as per the VNV instructions but now Vigor is at the bottom instead. So the new load order file changed things... Using 'Sort' puts CC 3D Rain.esp at the bottom as it should. It could very well be something with the load order. I wish I could get hold of a file from Febuary.

I did actually update my drivers two days ago but I'm pretty sure I played some after that.

I don't use One Drive and haven't moved any folders...

1. You might have misclick on the right window panel and sorting it based on alphabet instead of priority number.
I wish that was it but it's sorted after priority.

But I think I might have clicked on something in the right pane, not sure what though.

Last edited:
OMG I found a log file in MO2 that said:

[2024-06-08 17:45:57.142 W] Nahimic (also known as SonicSuite, SonicRadar, SteelSeries, A-Volute, etc.) is loaded.
[2024-06-08 17:45:57.142 W] This program is known to cause issues with Mod Organizer, such as freezing or blank windows. Consider uninstalling it.

So I uninstalled SonicSuite and the game ran again. However I have no recollection of ever installing SonicSuite but maybe it came with the new NVIDIA driver?

God damn today it won't run again. And nothing has changed from yesterday when it did run...

Back