Numenera is the setting of Torment Successor

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Torment news, on our NMA? Yes indeed, because inXile CEO Brian Fargo reveals in an RPS interview that the setting they landed on is Monte Cook's Numenera, a setting set a billion years in the future, after many civilizations rose and fell, it's set on an unrecognizable earth in its 9th era. Civilization has regressed to a medieval level, many worshiping old technology, some gaining mastery of it. It is post-apocalyptic in the genre of Walter M. Miller's A Canticle for Liebowitz, which in turn had a big influence on Fallout, but with more advanced technologies pre-apocalypse so there's a lot of very high-tech remnants, and weird remainders like continents being reshaped, floating cities, whatever you can imagine. Advanced science is indistinguishable from magic, etc.<blockquote>RPS – What are the stand-out aspects of Numenera for you, in terms of suiting your dev plans? How much is about the setting and how much the roleplaying mechanics?

Fargo: A Torment game requires big ideas and a truly exotic setting in order to explore the underlying thematic elements. Colin described it best when he said “Torment’s themes are essentially metaphysical, getting to the heart of what it means to be alive and conscious, and it’s easier to ask those questions in a setting that is far removed from the familiar.” Numenera is such a setting, and it has tremendous potential to cultivate those ideas. We won’t have faeries or devils, but we’ll have diabolical creatures from far dimensions with schemes beyond human imagination. We won’t have gods, but we’ll have creatures who have lived for millennia with the powers of creation and destruction at their fingertips, with abilities honed over countless lifetimes. We won’t have other planes per se, but we’ll have pathways to hostile worlds and bizarre landscapes and ancient machines that catapult the players into places where the ordinary laws of nature no longer apply. In terms of role-playing mechanics, we won’t be attempting to literally translate the Numenera tabletop system into electronic form. However, its gameplay mechanics are very solid and include several components that will lend themselves to great (and innovative) cRPG gameplay. It’s great to have the Numenera rules as a starting point and to be working with Monte to adapt them for a cRPG.

RPS – Given no Planescape and presumably none of the PST characters, what makes a Torment game a Torment game to your mind?

Fargo: We know it hasn’t been done often in the game industry, but we’re envisioning Torment as a thematic franchise with certain themes that can expand over different settings and stories. We will focus on the same things that made people appreciate PST so much: overturning RPG tropes; a fantastic, unconventional setting; memorable companions; deep thematic exploration of the human condition; heavy reactivity (i.e., choice and consequences); an intensely personal (rather than epic) story.</blockquote>Let us know if you're interested in NMA following this game closely or distantly.

Sounds like a great setting to me. This is obviously a successor to a game that's well loved by many of us, not that that necessarily makes it newsmaterial for NMA.

This sounds like one of the most interesting takes on post-apocalypse I've heard about ni gaming in a very long time though, so I wouldn't mind one bit if you covered it closely.

Brother None said:
<blockquote>
Fargo: We will focus on the same things that made people appreciate PST so much: overturning RPG tropes; a fantastic, unconventional setting; memorable companions; deep thematic exploration of the human condition; heavy reactivity (i.e., choice and consequences); an intensely personal (rather than epic) story.</blockquote>

Let us know if you're interested in NMA following this game closely or distantly.

Please follow this game closely :)
Also it's post-apocalyptic, so you don't really have a good reason not to do so, hehe

Please follow the game closely. On the surface NMA is a website about post-apocalyptic games (especially Fallout). However, I think the true heart of NMA is a love of good CRPGs and a recognition of how rarely such a game comes along (especially over the past decade). Most people consider Planescape Torment one of the best CRPG's ever made (some would say the best). Given that we can plausibly consider this followup game as being post-apocalyptic, it is a no brainer that it should be reported on here.

Yeah, definitely follow this. I mean, it sounds fucking awesome and it is post-plenty-apocalyptic too.
And I am not sure if Dead State is followed, but in case it is not, I would like to see it here too.

My only problem is that it has nothing to do with Planescape. Planescape: Torment has it's own setting: the AD&D 2nd Edition Planescape setting. Planescape: Torment 2 in any other setting than Planescape is not a sequel of Planescape: Torment, and should not be considered or called by a sane person as such.
They can envision it any way they want, it will have nothing to do with Planescape: Torment. Maybe it will be a good game (I hope), maybe not, one thing it will not be: Planescape: Torment 2. What the hell is a "Torment game" anyway?

I only registered to say this: Please follow this game!

ok bad joke but please follow it!

This should definitely covered by NMA whenever there are interesting news about it.

It's a shame they won't be using Planscape setting (I guess WotC would ask too much money), but keeping the general feel and depth of the game in another PA setting should make for a great and deep game.

Sounds pretty awesome to me.

I wonder if this is going to be the start of something wonderful, like the birth of a Western version of Final Fantasy.

You know, games with unrelated stories and settings that nonetheless share similar mechanics.

Only you know, every entry being good instead of just some of them.

We used up our science fantasy quota posting on Age of Decadence.

+1 to NMA reporting more on this game. Between Van Buren being canned and Fallout 3 getting close to release, NMA also reported on other RPGs. There was even a poll on that issue, IIRC.

Diospyros said:
Please follow the game closely. On the surface NMA is a website about post-apocalyptic games (especially Fallout). However, I think the true heart of NMA is a love of good CRPGs and a recognition of how rarely such a game comes along (especially over the past decade). Most people consider Planescape Torment one of the best CRPG's ever made (some would say the best). Given that we can plausibly consider this followup game as being post-apocalyptic, it is a no brainer that it should be reported on here.
I say, follow for the same reason. Gotten some good recommendations for other CRPGs from here before as well, and would like to see a larger coverage. Plus, it is post-apoc as well!

+1 to closely watched. All the other important news is here anyway, might as well stay consolidated.

Back