Pack o' Scripts #1 for FO2 RP 2.3+

@phobos2077

There are all kinds of problems with doors (and lockable containers as well). For example: metal doors are supposed to take several explosives to open, but it can never work due both to bugs and wrong material settings in protos; prying doors with crowbars can never work due to bugs; autoclosing either doesn't work or works poorly; electronic and regular locks are not often distinguished; and so on with many problems. I'll take a look at the changes you wrote about (assuming they're in your published material), these sound like good changes. Except for the particular doors included in this download, my script 'door.ssl' is intended as a model or template of proper functionality, and doesn't actually fix many particular doors as encountered during actual gameplay.

In this 'pack o' scripts' mod no new global or map variables are used, and no new (novel) scripts are included except as noted above (I forgot about kagpal.int, it shouldn't have been included according to the criteria I used).

Everyone should feel free to make use of any of material in any way they find helpful in their own work.

I prefer the Noid's/Ruby compiler for precisely the reasons you find it objectionable. These are all strengths in my opinion, allowing one to attack scripts directly and code with clarity. Without Ruby, for example, there would be no Megamod. Headers are a liability, not an asset, and I would never find most of the bugs and lost content I do if I used a scripting method relying on them. Your suggestion that a lack of macros and headers is 'error prone' is not merely false, but the direct opposite of the actual situation. I understand you've done a lot of work on your compiler and would like to see more people using it, but it's not for everyone and there are valid reasons to prefer the old ways. Let's just leave it at 'different strokes for different folks,' I suppose. :razz:

Last edited by a moderator:
@phobos2077
I prefer the Noid's/Ruby compiler for precisely the reasons you find it objectionable. These are all strengths in my opinion, allowing one to attack scripts directly and code with clarity. Without Ruby, for example, there would be no Megamod. Headers are a liability, not an asset, and I would never find most of the bugs and lost content I do if I used a scripting method relying on them. Your suggestion that a lack of macros and headers is 'error prone' is not merely false, but the direct opposite of the actual situation. I understand you've done a lot of work on your compiler and would like to see more people using it, but it's not for everyone and there are valid reasons to prefer the old ways. Let's just leave it at 'different strokes for different folks,' I suppose. :razz:

I see your point about using decompiled scripts for precise script changes in existing scripts. However, I still think for more larger changes or whole new scripts you should use constants and procedures. If you find vanilla macros to cause errors, don't use them (I don't use multi-line macros myself, but single-function ones are pretty useful), but why don't use simple constants at least? Why don't use procedures?
It's not really about specific compiler, but about code quality. Reading code like that is like reading ASM, it's very hard. I really believe that other scripters will really appreciate more readable code, so they can jump in and use it more easily in their mods.

Also I still don't understand what is exactly different about Ruby compiler. You can decompile, change and recompile scripts just as well using sfall compiler. In fact, your scripts should compile without any problems, all you need is to remove @ before each proc reference and remove "op_" prefix everywhere.

Last edited:
phobos2077 said:
Reading code like that is like reading ASM, it's very hard.

Doing things the hardest way makes one a better person. It's about building character. :grin:

But seriously, this is a hobby. For me, accuracy and quality count for far more than efficiency or productivity-- to the point where the latter aren't even a tangible concern of mine. My sole objective is to enjoy myself, and I think anyone who doesn't take that approach will quickly tire of any sort of modding. The methods I use, in the way I use them, are designed to produce the sort of output that pleases me. It's just that simple. If my ways aren't for everyone, that's fine. The great thing about modding is, everyone can do whatever they like. At the end of the day, it's about fun.

Two replies and you still didn't answer my question. What makes Ruby compiler different? You don't trust the SSL compiler?

For starters, 100% of all the code is present for direct inspection, in context. This is because header files are not referenced in any way. Decompile the original game's door script, for example, with both compilers. The reason I prefer my method is self-evident to me in that case, as all the glaring errors are on unambiguous display.

For starters, 100% of all the code is present for direct inspection, in context. This is because header files are not referenced in any way. Decompile the original game's door script, for example, with both compilers. The reason I prefer my method is self-evident to me in that case, as all the glaring errors are on unambiguous display.

Maybe there is something wrong with my english :D I just wanted to know the difference in technical aspect, like syntax and stuff :)
By "unambiguous display" you mean "op_" prefix for engine functions and @ symbol for procedure references? I thought that all SSL decompilers produce the same output...
It's just a bunch of procedures with some statements after all :)

Last edited:
For all who might be still interested (like me) in old Fallout 2 mods, I like to share advice from Endocore i had in PM about Kaga scripts:

* "There was one problem in the Pack O Scripts, it had to do with Kaga. Don't use the kaga scripts in there, because it references some global variables that would be out of range in the regular RP 2.3.3."
* "I'd avoid any Kaga stuff in those old files. The point of the change was to give the Chosen One a chance to peacefully resolve conflict with Kaga, but reading the above old discussion I see the trouble was I added a new script for Kaga's companions, to make them disappear instead of attacking you if you made friends with Kaga. Since that script doesn't exist in a regular RP game, the game will crash in all cases."
* "Yes, I'd just leave all the kaga related scripts you mentioned at the standard RP version and not try to use any of the ones I made."

...those are:
eckaga1.int
eckagpal.int

Also it might be a good idea to carefully "update" specific files with ones from 2015 Summer Pack (from Dabrovik's Fallout Database, RP mods -> Endocore). 2015 pack scripts and msg are more up to date than most files in stand-alone Endocore mods (except Kitsune!).
Regards.

Back