Padding out The Power Of The Atom

bhlaab said:
It takes such effort to move it, so how would it be used? If you wanted to take out the brotherhood of steel you'd have to drag this megaton bomb into the middle of their base without them noticing

Some ideas:

Tell the Enclave. The Enclave goes into Megaton and kills everyone, gets a Vertibird to take the bomb, and possibly remote-controls a Vertibird to literally suicide bomb the Brotherhood.

Tell the Brotherhood, and give Prime a giant fatman launcher to use against the Enclave.

Use your knowledge of science to teach the cult how to power the town with the nuke.

Convince the cult to use the bomb. If they're so crazy about it, why don't they prove it?

Use basic logic to cause Fallout 3 to divide by zero itself.

And even after that, you could change your mind and tell the Brotherhood/Enclave about the other group and their bombing plans and there could be a massive fight over Megaton.

I concur on the quest needing improvement. As it stands it's a cakewalk with a lightshow, and surprisingly little meaning either way.

Playing the quest as a good character, I felt short-changed about how ludicrously easy it was, and I couldn;t comprehend why exactly nobody else in the last 200 years had thought to take Mentats and disarm the Bomb, if they felt so strongly about it. Initially I thought it was because as a Vault Dweller my character had better technical knowledge, but then it was established that 'Dad', a technical expert with a penchant for selflessness and helping people whatever the cost, had also wandered through here - repeatedly - as had several other Vault 101 members back in the days when the Vault was open. None of them had thought to disarm the large nuclear device sitting about a quarter-mile from their own home, close enough that the Vault would likely be badly damaged by the explosion.

Playing as an evil character, I felt similarly short-changed by how absurd the premise is - while everyone else in town refers to me as 'the do-gooder from the Vault' (at least until I've lost a bit more karma), Burke inexplicably thinks I'm a better person to talk to than the fanatical cultists who also want to blow the town up - and that the best place to talk about killing everyone in town is in a quiet public bar. Worse yet, he wants the town gone because his boss made an offhand remark about it being ugly, even though being known as the guy who blew up a town for kicks is likely to get a fair chunk of powerful people, good and evil, out for your blood - Lyons wants to protect people, the Raiders want to *raid* people (big radioactive craters aren't known for their loot - well, The Glow aside), the Enclave regards the area as sovereign territory and would take this as an act of war - the list goes on. It's total nonsense as written.

While the quest, as it stands, has so many holes that more or less anything could replace it as a motivation, my 'take' on a revision would be this.

Megaton was founded around a convenient crater, because as Simms says, it was shelter from radioactive dust storms for the town founders. There was no nuke there (that they knew of) - after all, it would be senseless to try and shelter from radiation right next to a leaky atom bomb!

But, as with everywhere in the wasteland, clean water is a problem. A few lucky people have access to some small-scale distillers and can get enough clean water for a small group to live on, but the biggest obstacle to expansion is supply. Megaton is no exception, and couldn't initially grow much beyond two or three families.

Enter Alistair Tenpenny, a former wanderer and explorer who, as the game establishes, has become absurdly rich and can provide a small paradise to anyone willing to pay an exorbitant fee. To my mind, that suggests something - he found a G.E.C.K., probably only partly functional, and used it around Tenpenny Tower to create a little slice of paradise, and rent it out as his retirement package.

But, a G.E.C.K. was designed to supply a sizeable community from a Vault, so he has more resources than he needs, particularly water. His tenants can afford to live in absurd luxury, but still trade away significant quantities of water for caps, to trade in turn for other basic goods that they need - like medical supplies and spare parts, say. Tenpenny becomes even richer, not just from the tenants at the tower, but from trading water to all those nearby - including Megaton. Tenpenny effectively gains control over how civilisation reforms out here in the Capitol Wasteland, and he doesn't plan to give up that power. Of course, there are raider problems - but offer free apartments to anyone who's willing to take up arms and fight them off, and the problem soon solves itself (particularly added to the threat of destroying the purification equipment if the Tower gets successfully invaded - without water purifiers, it's worthless).

Then Vault 101 enters the scene and threatens to spoil things. It opens its doors, starts trading with Megaton, and when it finally shuts its doors, it has left several people outside the Vault as 'ambassadors'. These people have access to technology and expertise that the residents of Megaton don't, so they offer to start solving the basic problems of the community - sewerage, medical treatments, and water. Small scale water treatment is quite possible with the right know-how, so they set up a system for Megaton. Megaton breaks off its reliance on Tenpenny, and can even afford to start selling some spare water on to other travellers. Suddenly, Tenpenny's empire looks increasingly shaky, but there's not much he can do about it - Megaton's pretty well dug in, so hiring hitmen isn't much of an option (although he probably tried).

But, only recently, there's a twist. The water treatment system is very much in need of fixing by the time the game starts properly; it leaks, the water's increasingly contaminated, and it's in danger of a total breakdown. If it goes offline, Megaton's pretty much doomed. So, of course, Megaton starts preparing to expand its water production by more mundane means as a backup, and the first stage of that is to dig a new well, which is easiest (with their limited equipment now) at the bottom of the pre-existing crater. They dig down, say, ten feet or so, ready to - oh, wait, what's this big metal thing in the way? Is that a bomb in the middle of our nice little town?!

The Cult of the Atom, which existed in the town for quite a while and is perhaps the biggest faction in Megaton, takes over the project by threatening force, excavates it fully, and starts jealously guarding it. The more secular of the townsfolk are damned worried that the fanatics are going to find a way to set it off, or that some outside power will come along to take it away and leave no witnesses. They need a way out - enter the player, another Vault Dweller, with more advanced knowledge than the residents can muster. He/She is the best hope that the town has for disarming the nuke, in preparation for quietly dismantling it and disposing of the pieces safely before anything goes badly wrong.

Meanwhile, though, news of the discovery is spreading to the town's closest neighbours, and Burke (now virtually running the show with Tenpenny increasingly senile) sees a way to restore his employer's prestige - if Megaton should have a little 'accident' with its new discovery, Tenpenny's water monopoly is restored. It's also a warning to anyone else who plans to cross Tenpenny - mess with him, and he'll find some way to destroy you and everything you care about, and he's willing to wait years for the opportunity.

Quite apart from which, Burke is no fool and doesn't want a live nuke lying around for anyone to make use of. Two birds with one stone, you might say - and the only way he can gain access to the bomb to arm it for remote detonation is to ask the Vault Dweller to arm it instead of disarming it, as Lucas Simms wants - Tenpenny isn't a name that's welcomed by Megaton settlers, even fanatical cultists who want the same thing.

So, now Burke has an actual reason to risk his life trying to get the place blown up, Tenpenny Tower is no longer just some place that is nice to live for no particular reason, Megaton's residents may not actually suffer from congenital idiocy, and the reason the bomb's still there is simply that the other major factions haven't had much of a chance to hear about it yet, if the bomb was found in the last month or two.

Better yet, it also provides a potential motivation for completing the main quest if your character is evil - Burke and/or Tenpenny will be concerned that some guy is running around claiming to be on the verge of getting Project Purity to work, and finding out that you're his son - and that you're not averse to helping Tenpenny out - would prompt an offer along the lines of "Take control of Project Purity, run it in the Tenpenny name, and we'll split the cash". After 'Dad' dies, and the player can actually stake a good claim on the Project, it makes a lot of sense - and include options to betray Tenpenny and set yourself up as the Water King, naturally.

Unfortunately, I have no more than a barest modicum of computer talent, and little to no understanding of the FO3 construction kit; much though I'd like to for this myself, I'll have to wait for someone else's interpretation of the quest. Ah, well.

Very nice take on the Power of Atom quest, JtheC... I'd love to see it happen.

One thing , mentioning Cult of the Atom. How would it appear, since there's no apparent bomb anymore in Megaton? All the idolatric, golden veal thing about worshipping the bomb seems like a key point to me, even if it leads to an overall broken story. There would have to be a reason to their appearance in Megaton.

It could be easier not to make them come from Megaton itself. It could be a cult growing all over the wastes, trying to build resurgent spirituality on the remains of a somewhat "corrupted" civilisation. A sinful, long gone Babylon, by the cultists' sermons, rushing to its own doom, leading to corruption and death.

Then happened the Atomic War, which for the Cult of the Atom would be interpreted very close to the original meaning of Christian Apocalypse: the revelation, the judgement of all souls, the true beginning of God final design. Eschatology and stuff. After the Apocalypse, the radiation stands as a sort of remain of the passage of god, a proof of its very existence and will. Then being contaminated constitutes the ultimate experience of communication and embracing of the superior being. This leads to think again about the roles of ghouls, who could very well be subjects of all sorts of zealous behaviours from the cultists. The first that pops in my mind being processions with encaged ghouls, accused to be the sinners punished by the hand of god, cursed to a long existence of pain where they have to suffer as an example for those who did and do not follow the cult.

Of course, that would mean the cult is much bigger and organised than it is in the vanilla game. But then its easy to link them to the plot written above by JtheC, making them appear in town as soon as the word spreads in the Wastes about an uncovered Atom bomb in Megaton. They would try to impose on the Megaton population, considering the settlers uncovered by mistake what is righteously their long lost golden veal, or the sign given by god to build their shrine or cathedral on.

That's it for now.

J the C said:
I concur on the quest needing improvement. As it stands it's a cakewalk with a lightshow, and surprisingly little meaning either way.

SNIP

I think this is a great scenario you've written up, but it doens't include much of gameplay. You should consider how it should be completed for both good and evil in the action, sneak, science, diplomat ways. Also consider what happens if the player tries to "break" the quest by killing tenpenny, murdering everyone in megaton and THEN disarming the bomb, etc etc etc

Storywise, I think it's great so long as the old 101 dwellers stay out of the picture (left town a long time ago/dead)

Soviet Travolta said:
Very nice take on the Power of Atom quest, JtheC... I'd love to see it happen.

One thing , mentioning Cult of the Atom. How would it appear, since there's no apparent bomb anymore in Megaton? All the idolatric, golden veal thing about worshipping the bomb seems like a key point to me, even if it leads to an overall broken story. There would have to be a reason to their appearance in Megaton.

It could be easier not to make them come from Megaton itself. It could be a cult growing all over the wastes, trying to build resurgent spirituality on the remains of a somewhat "corrupted" civilisation. A sinful, long gone Babylon, by the cultists' sermons, rushing to its own doom, leading to corruption and death.

Then happened the Atomic War, which for the Cult of the Atom would be interpreted very close to the original meaning of Christian Apocalypse: the revelation, the judgement of all souls, the true beginning of God final design. Eschatology and stuff. After the Apocalypse, the radiation stands as a sort of remain of the passage of god, a proof of its very existence and will. Then being contaminated constitutes the ultimate experience of communication and embracing of the superior being. This leads to think again about the roles of ghouls, who could very well be subjects of all sorts of zealous behaviours from the cultists. The first that pops in my mind being processions with encaged ghouls, accused to be the sinners punished by the hand of god, cursed to a long existence of pain where they have to suffer as an example for those who did and do not follow the cult.

Of course, that would mean the cult is much bigger and organised than it is in the vanilla game. But then its easy to link them to the plot written above by JtheC, making them appear in town as soon as the word spreads in the Wastes about an uncovered Atom bomb in Megaton. They would try to impose on the Megaton population, considering the settlers uncovered by mistake what is righteously their long lost golden veal, or the sign given by god to build their shrine or cathedral on.

That's it for now.

An idea I've had kicking around in my head is that the Followers of the Apocalypse from fallout 1 are still around and the church has spread, but the message has been twisted and distorted over time and several new leaders until they in no way represent what they used to.

Instead of trying to learn from the fall and improve humanity, they now believe that the apocalypse was meant to kill off the human race but failed because of the vaults. They consider their survivor ancestors to have directly forsaken the will of God (not necessarily the christian god) and the reason life is so difficult in the Wastes is because they have fallen out of favor with God and refused entry into paradise. They hope to get into God's good graces by "finishing the job" and wiping out humanity.

I dunno, sort of a dark parody of those Left Behind books and an interesting callback to the original

Just blueskying here, but I was thinking about this just the other day: the way they've set Tenpenny up, it almost seems that he's basically just a real estate mogul. IIRC, Burke even says something about destroying the town in the name of progress. As it stands, this is fairly retarded.

Then I got to thinking: maybe destroying the town is actually not his primary concern. Perhaps that crater was there because the area had already undergone heavy saturation bombing. Perhaps there was a hardened target there, a la the West-Tek Research Facility, that the enemy just had to be sure about. Maybe that unexploded nuke would've been the last nail in the coffin. Maybe Tenpenny has somehow become privy to this information.

It would take a measure of doing-- I imagine you'd either have to move Megaton or Vault 101 (or GREATLY expand Vault 101's dimensions and significance)-- but I thought that if ANYTHING could justify setting off that bomb, it would be an attempt to gain access to one of the most highly secure pre-war facilities this side of The Glow.

(Why? What's in there? Hell if I know. That's why I'm just blue-skying here.)

Also: Something to take into account when coming up with hooks, ramifications, and actual gameplay for any nuke-related quests is that there's an entire STOREHOUSE of undetonated H-Bombs at Ft. Constantine. If the order of the day is replacement components, information, or arming/disarming codes, the fort might be a good location to tie into the quest progression.

(Incidentally, does it bother anyone else that the Outcasts seem to have a strictly hands-off policy on these old pre-war facilities even though their patrols and recon through such areas are practically nonstop?)

Patton89 said:
Look, the place is insignificant in the game, and is treated that way.
The game has NO economy. No trading. Nothing. Who do they trade with ? And if it was real BIS fallout 3, a town like Megaton would be that, insignificant. Of course ignoring the working nuke.

Well they have a water treatment plant, maybe they trade nonradiated water behind the players back? That would then be *the* most valued trading product in the whole region, so suddenly Megaton makes lot of sense from a trading point of view

Some beggars complain they can't get water due to not beeing a citizen there, but maybe if they actually had caps they would get it anyway, yes?

Killerrabbit said:
Patton89 said:
Look, the place is insignificant in the game, and is treated that way.
The game has NO economy. No trading. Nothing. Who do they trade with ? And if it was real BIS fallout 3, a town like Megaton would be that, insignificant. Of course ignoring the working nuke.

Well they have a water treatment plant, maybe they trade nonradiated water behind the players back? That would then be *the* most valued trading product in the whole region, so suddenly Megaton makes lot of sense from a trading point of view

Some beggars complain they can't get water due to not beeing a citizen there, but maybe if they actually had caps they would get it anyway, yes?

They should just go to the player's house. There's a robot there that produces unlimited clean water and can even do haircuts!

Back