Paradox Grand Strategy Games

Mudguy47

It Wandered In From the Wastes
I never see much discussion about strategy games around these parts besides XCOM 2 that is. Just wondering, how many of you play Paradox Grand strategy games such as Europa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings 2? I hope to get a discussion rolling with this.

Bit of news regarding one of the games. Europa Universalis 4 will be getting a new DLC, Mare Nostrum, and update soon enough which will overhaul ship mechanics. No release date has been confirmed but coming soon.

Those games look great and interesting and have pretty good reviews but I've never played them. I might check them out now they you've reminded me.

Europa Universalis IV in particular looks VERY interesting, like it blows every one of its peers out of the water. I just haven't gotten around to it.

As far as strategy games, I like what Amplitude Studios is doing with their Endless Space and Endless Legend. Endless Space 2 is supposed to come out either as a finished product or a beta this year. Civilization is fine for what it is but I expect Europa Universalis is much more complex and the true Grand Strategy game.

Last edited:
I played crusader kings 2. And I didn´t like it. Not my kind of strategy game, grew up with games like age of empires.

My favorite Paradox GSG is Victoria 2. The whole industrial revolution period and colonization is one of the most fascinating period.

Europa is somewhat of an acquired taste. My friend and I love it although it took quite a bit of time for him to understand it and even today he really only understands the military portion of the game. I feel Crusader Kings is more micro managy if that is a thing, focusing on the rulers and his relations with people in and out of his court can become cumbersome.

As far as strategy games, I like what Amplitude Studios is doing with their Endless Space and Endless Legend. Endless Space 2 is supposed to come out either as a finished product or a beta this year. Civilization is fine for what it is but I expect Europa Universalis is much more complex and the true Grand Strategy game.
I like Endless Space, pretty good game and I would like to see what the next game brings to the table. Civilization is a 4x game just like ES and can't necessarily be compared to Grand Strategy, after my friend remarked that civilization seems so dumbed down compared to EU4 and he said he doesn't think he could go back to that simplicity.

What a coincidence, I recently went on binge playing EU4. While I've spent a lot of hours in the last week I am relatively new to the game. I still don't know if I managed to master every "weapon" your country can use.
Managed to beat the game once :( [ With the Palatinate ] It was epic at some points: I broke a truce on purpose and defeated an insane number of germanic countries by being allied with Hungary, Poland & some others. I think I attacked when Austria was defeated or too exhausted to make a difference.

Did you guys toyed with the HRE ? (without playing Austria)

guys,

Announcing that Heart of iron IV is gonna released on june 21. it is game based on world war/Industrial warfare era

I prefer Crusader Kings 2. It has tons of factions you can play as and the micro-managing is fun because it's more then just numbers. And if I ever get bored of all that I just become a nomad. All you do is go to war.

Did you guys toyed with the HRE ? (without playing Austria)
I have tried HRE nations, very complex. I've fucked with HRE many times as other countries, usually ends up me getting wiped by the emperor who is usually Austria.

but I am going to be picking up Stellaris for sure.
I can agree to that, wildly excited to see how this is done. I can't wait till may for the game to come out.

I prefer Crusader Kings 2. It has tons of factions you can play as and the micro-managing is fun because it's more then just numbers. And if I ever get bored of all that I just become a nomad. All you do is go to war.
I always found CK2 a little too burdensome because of all that micromanaging. It's a fun game and I love playing it but I like my numbers. The one thing I do like is the more personalization of your rulers, always found that lacking in EU4.

CK2 was beyond amazing until some point when their batshit crazy DLC whoring destroyed the game and its AI beyond any hope of repair. It's still enjoyable, but broken in so many ways.

I enjoyed CK2 a lot. I still remembre my first game as a Danish king that became the hero of Christendom by smashing the heaten Slavs then stopping a Mongol horde, but my favorite was stating as some lowly Count in France and ending up Holy Roman Emperor in two generations thanks to some lucky deaths and a very ambitious son.

I gradually stopped playing as they added an unending tide of DLCs that didn't always justify its price, new mechanics that upset the game's balance all the damn time (those damn adventurers!) and the addition of India made my game tank in framerate suddenly. So I mostly play the A Game of Thrones mod from time to time.

I also tried Hearts of Iron 3 a while back, and didn't get into it. The tutorial is more concerned with making fun of Hitler than teaching you the game's mechanics, and that title is far more complex than CK2 so it needed a solid tutorial.

I can't play most of Paradox's strategy games because they become too confusing for me (I have a hard time focus and concentrating when there is too many things happening at once and we have to deal with lots of micromanaging) but I love CK2 and play it a lot, for some reason it was really easy for me to get into it, but I have tried other games like Victoria and Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis and I can't for the life of me be able to learn how to play them.

I still play CK2 this day but I always use the mod CK2+

From Way of Life onward DLCs are mostly shit.
Are you kidding? I found them all great! (Even sunset invasion had it's good points)

I especially enjoyed Horse Lords because it allowed people not interested in economy and delicate diplomacy a chance to play the game, with war and simpler but still fun diplomacy.

To be very honest, the only RTS series I can say I REALLY like is C&C, never had so much fun in a RTS games like I had in C&C, glorious Westwood Studios.

The soundtrack alone should be enough to go and play these games, especially the old ones like Red Alert and Tiberian Sun. I love so much C&C Tiberian Sun, nostalgia plays a big role but fuck, never saw a RTS game so atmospheric like TS. Very unique, from the soundtrack to the units themselves (fucking subterranean units of doom!), gameplay is really fast paced and all you gotta do is one single mistake to get obliterated faster then you imagine. I like this, matches don't take much more then 15 min., the game doesn't drag itself into boredom.

The atmosphere, I really like. Wish there were more RTS like Tiberian Sun.

When I was a kid, I remember playing the shit out of Red Alert: Retaliation on Playstation 1 lol, it was hands down my favorite game on that console. Oh Silent Hill as well, but anyways...

Great soundtrack as well

Last edited:
Back