Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire announced

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
Meh.

Didn't really specify anything but like people covering their heads when it rains (which I don't care about as I would probably not even notice it if it started raining and no one even bothered to react to it). And NPC's now having their own lives and schedules (this ain't The Sims, I don't care about this. If anything it just reminds me of Bethesda going on and on about how "dynamic" their worlds are).

And finally, choices in first game carry over to the 2nd game. Which I don't like. Why? Cause there's only so many times that you can develop sequels for a series with this kind of intention before it become a clusterfuck of a web of CnC that you have to account for and I like canon. I like knowing that X is what actually happened. Otherwise my experience and take on what officially happened will be different from anyone elses and it'd be hard to discuss lore because different people had different experiences. I think it muddles the lore of past events and just makes things overly complex. Not only do they have to have CnC for all of the quests, dialogue and events in the sequel but they 'also' need to take into account what you did in the previous game. Just sounds bloated. I wonder if by the third game we'll get 3 differently coloured buttons to press at the end.

Just buzzwords and vague promises that things are better. Combat AI and pathing has been improved... By... Things... And now it's more <buzzword>DYNAMIC</buzzword>!

That doesn't tell me much of how things have actually improved.

What I wanna know is:
1. if they've stopped overbalancing the game.
2. If they're going to use a bullshit plot device for how we lost our powers so we'll have to start over at lvl 1 or explain how people can survive in an area where monsters are so dangerous that we 'feel' like we're lvl 1 again despite going in there with our PoE1 character.
3. If they've removed that damn infinite chest bullshit and redesigned the inventory management system.

I do like the different geographical setting. Nice to get away from european forests.
Don't much care for the idea of "chosen one" or them ruining the mystique of the giant dirt man.

It just feels like a pointless fluff video (as well as a fluff description over at Fig) where they give as little information as possible and instead just tries to wow with the graphical improvements, like too many developers do.

So, yeah, not really excited. If anything I'm annoyed at the few things they did tell us about.

While i wish the story of this one will have little to no connection to the previous one, I still want to see companions from PoE1 like Eder or Aloth again.

IjuapBR.jpg

It seems we will see Eder, Aloth and Pallegina show up in the Dead Fire.

Fish, is the only one from you plebs who really keeps the spirit of NMA alive! YOU SHOULD ALL FEEL ASHAMED!
Let me try that again:

Okay, a fantasy RPG I can place some mild interest in since I know that the mainstream RPG game genre is all but dead creatively and is unable to advance beyond the same settings. When can we get an RPG that is not set in medieval fantasy aside from Torment?

It seems we will see Eder, Aloth and Pallegina show up in the Dead Fire.
Coincidentally my 3 favorite companions
:dance:

Although I'm confused as to how they are going to bring Aloth back, when the 2 endings in which he survives both involve
Him becoming head of the Leaden Key

Coincidentally my 3 favorite companions
:dance:

Although I'm confused as to how they are going to bring Aloth back, when the 2 endings in which he survives both involve
Him becoming head of the Leaden Key
I could be wrong, but isn't another his ending about he start to hunt down Leaden Key members?

Last edited:
D
A buddy of mine wants to get either the 59$ or the 100~$ versions on Fig, which star the "Physical version "but he's worried about if he is supposed to get an actual copy or what , as it states "no digital copy included". Is it supposed to be a GoG-like DRM-free disc or what?

I could be wrong, but isn't another his ending about he start to hunt down Leaden Key members?
It states that he "Dismantles" the Leaden Key.

I'm not sure whether that means he's trying to dismantle it from within, or hunting down the members. It isn't specific. But it does also seem like a full-time job, and not the kinda thing he could easily break away from to go on adventures

It's already fully funded.

But I don't think I'll back it. For some reason, I didn't really like the original game's mechanics that much. And the story didn't compel me.

Wasn't a fan of the mechanics of the first either, but liked the story well enough.
I had pledged for a digital copy, but ended up cancelling it on principle, since I don't really like Fig. The whole investing thing seems like a scam, so even if the pledges are legit and a good value if you trust Obsidian to deliver (which I do), I don't feel comfortable supporting it.
Can always buy it when it comes out.

It's already fully funded.

But I don't think I'll back it. For some reason, I didn't really like the original game's mechanics that much. And the story didn't compell me.

It's funded, but almost half of it was done with Fig funds.

On that note, on principle and on how much I hate the guy's guts, I can't back anything that ends up on a platform related to Tim Schafer. Guy's ruined his rep too many times, on multiple fronts.

It does look interesting, and maybe I'll play it when it comes out.

I'm not entirely sure that "real time with pause" combat is one of the things that makes any game great. I always suffered through it because I liked the other parts of the game. But I guess a lot of people feel the same way about turn based combat. The kind of people that answer surveys and join focus groups, apparently.

I'm not entirely sure that "real time with pause" combat is one of the things that makes any game great. I always suffered through it because I liked the other parts of the game. But I guess a lot of people feel the same way about turn based combat. The kind of people that answer surveys and join focus groups, apparently.
I personally prefer turn-based too, but then again most of the best fantasy RPGs like Baldurs Gate and PS: Torment were real time with pause, so perhaps there's something about it which makes RPG developers prefer it.

Back